FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
hDszzT

Simming MM, the results confuse me

I was simming to get stat weights, but I don't really get why it's giving me the results I'm getting.

This is on Patchwerk-style fight, Fight Length: 240 - 360, the default stuff pretty much.

I use Piercing Shot instead of Sidewinders, idk maybe the sims for that aren't as accurate since no one cares about Piercing Shot, but I end up with something like this.

Under what kind of circumstances is using Multi-Shot on single-target better than Arcane Shot? And why is it using Aimed Shot so little?

Under the Abilities section it seems to report Multi-Shot as doing slightly more damage than Arcane Shot, under what circumstances? Because I've never been able to reproduce that, or am I doing something wrong?

Number of enemies is set to 1 in Options, so it can't be that I accidentally had it set to test a cleave situation. But I don't think that would explain Aimed Shot either.

Would be appreciated if someone could help me figure out why I'm getting the results I'm getting :s

Ammako @ WyrmrestAccord-US / Ammako @ ArgentDawn-EU

Edited by Ammako

Well, to be honest I don't know why you're not using sidewinders anyway, with the way MM works at the moment it's not really viable to use anything other than sidewinders and you'd get a lot more out of your toon if you used it. (Sorry to be a buzzkill there but realistically it just isn't going to have anywhere near the damage as sidewinders)

When 7.1.5 hits and it returns MM to more of a specified burst/generation style of gameplay then piercing shot would be quite a viable talent and you'd be able to play that way then; but realistically if you're looking to get the most out of your hunter then sidewinders is your best bet (and yes, I'm aware this makes MM a very, very dull class, which is why I main BM :D).

However to answer your question I'm not at all sure why using multishot would work better than arcane shot, unless it has something to do with bombardment? That would be my only guess. Either way, 7.1.5 will completely overhaul the MM class so no need to worry too much for now. But in the mean time, your best bet would probably still be to go arcane shot. The reason there's a lot less aimed shot in that build is because you get a lot less uptime on Vulnerable if you don't play with sidewinders.

I'm on Icy Veins. Of course I know that Sidewinders is the preferred choice for those looking to min-max. There's no need to make 2/3rd of your post a lecture about why I should use Sidewinders instead. Uncalled for. That's not what I asked. There's a reason I pick Piercing Shot and you've already touched upon why.

Bombardment gives +60% damage to Multi-Shot, but that's not enough to make it deal more damage than Arcane Shot at least not on target dummies, but anything with Armour will only make Multi-Shot deal less and less damage anyway while Arcane Shot is unaffected. As for Aimed Shot, even if you believed that using Piercing Shot = literally no Marked Target procs throughout the whole fight, you'd get enough from Windburst to use Aimed Shot at least 2-3 times every 20 seconds (granted, you'd need to keep enough Focus to use a 100-Focus Piercing Shot every 30 seconds, but the point is, you'd be using Aimed Shot more than just once throughout the fight especially with Lock and Load.)

I want to sim so I can pick between different pieces of gear, simming should tell me which pieces are theoretically better for my character, but if the sims are inaccurate then it doesn't really help me choose. Hence why I'm asking, so I can know if I'm really just missing something, or if the sims just aren't accurate for Piercing Shot builds due to lack of interest.

Edited by Ammako

Alright, fair point, sorry about the lecture. I think I had two goes at writing that because I left to go somewhere before I could finish it and I realise I harped on a lot, sorry!

Yeah I can totally get that piercing shot feels a lot more fun though, 100%. And I know that of course you would get more than a few in every 30 seconds, I've tried it out myself and while you do get a few aimed shots it never feels like enough. I think that's why the build has no interest because it just isn't that viable outside of playing around with some WQ stuff where you can try and have fun 1 shotting things with piercing shot. 

Realistically speaking, that's probably why the sims aren't that accurate; just largely due to the lack of interest since the start of the expac when it was made quite obvious that sidewinders was mandatory for any amount of good dps. Just out of curiosity, what sort of things would you be looking to do in game that you feel you would need to boost your dps for? I did look at your toon and noted you had mostly WQ gear on so I thought you'd be more of a fun/casual gamer and I think you'd probably be still best going with the most amount of mastery and haste. Just purely because without sidewinders, your vulnerable uptime is a lot lower so having more chances to proc it would be quite nice. 
That's just my general thoughts though, I don't actually know why multishot would sim to be so important since in almost no circumstance would it do more single target damage... :s