Damien

Lightning Archon Wizard

128 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Lightning Archon Wizard Build Guide.

16 hours ago, Guest Varix said:

Is it good for group?

I would say this build is very heavily tailored towards Solo play, so I would avoid using it in groups.

In the explanation you say to get the 4 piece Vyrs and the 6 piece Tal Rashas, yet if you had the BiS for each in the breakdown, you would end up with the opposite. Am I missing something?

the passive skill power hungry can be replaced with Audacity cause lets face it what monster is going to just stand there and let you attack them from 30 yards away. also wouldnt passive lightning storm with blizzard be more viable since it does lightning damage that will also reset the passive paralysis to do more damage with the ring? also wouldnt pure power be better with archon cause lets face it this build is build around the ring and the passive skill paralysis.

Edited by NecroVoid

On 1/10/2017 at 5:54 AM, Guest Case said:

In the explanation you say to get the 4 piece Vyrs and the 6 piece Tal Rashas, yet if you had the BiS for each in the breakdown, you would end up with the opposite. Am I missing something?

I'm not sure why that is the case. I would go for 6-Tal and 4-Vyr though.

On 1/11/2017 at 2:59 AM, NecroVoid said:

the passive skill power hungry can be replaced with Audacity cause lets face it what monster is going to just stand there and let you attack them from 30 yards away. also wouldnt passive lightning storm with blizzard be more viable since it does lightning damage that will also reset the passive paralysis to do more damage with the ring? also wouldnt pure power be better with archon cause lets face it this build is build around the ring and the passive skill paralysis.

Essentially. no.

• That is the reason you have black hole, to main distance when needed.
  • You don't want everything to be the same element of damage, you need to check the set bonuses as to why.
  • Again, check the set bonuses. Archon has all runes because of Vyr gear.

Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, Guest confused said:

As guest case said, if we pick the BiS, we end up with 6 vyr 4 tal, can it work that way ?

See my comment above. Will get Deadset to fix it.

The build mentions that the rune on Archon doesn't matter - however, after a bit of testing, it seems that while the combustion will go off without the rune selected, Tal Rasha's will not count it as fire damage unless you have the combustion rune selected. 

1 hour ago, IllusiveBrian said:

The build mentions that the rune on Archon doesn't matter - however, after a bit of testing, it seems that while the combustion will go off without the rune selected, Tal Rasha's will not count it as fire damage unless you have the combustion rune selected. 

Do you by any chance have any other skill/item that is increasing your elemental damage with another element? I don't have the set so I can't test it atm, but will do in the next few days.

6 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Do you by any chance have any other skill/item that is increasing your elemental damage with another element? I don't have the set so I can't test it atm, but will do in the next few days.

Nope, the only elemental modifier I have is lightning, and I tested by hitting archon near a mob and doing nothing else.  With the Combustion rune I got a stack, without I got bupkis.  After a bit more testing, the only part of Tal Rasha's that gets triggered when you go into archon with Combustion not selected is the fire meteor - the 4 and 6 set piece stack buffs both seem to not be triggered (the 4 set is harder to tell because it doesn't show an actual buff, but my toughness in archon is higher for the first 8 seconds with the combustion rune selected than without).

20 hours ago, IllusiveBrian said:

Nope, the only elemental modifier I have is lightning, and I tested by hitting archon near a mob and doing nothing else.  With the Combustion rune I got a stack, without I got bupkis.  After a bit more testing, the only part of Tal Rasha's that gets triggered when you go into archon with Combustion not selected is the fire meteor - the 4 and 6 set piece stack buffs both seem to not be triggered (the 4 set is harder to tell because it doesn't show an actual buff, but my toughness in archon is higher for the first 8 seconds with the combustion rune selected than without).

That does seem odd. I'll get a note put in to Deadset about it and, for now, just stick with the Combustion rune then.

how is arcane power managed with this build? I feel like my dps is being bottle-necked (in non-archon form) by the fact that arcane torrent, coupled with the insane amount of attack speed gained by archon stacks out of archon form (enabled by The Swami), drains my arcane power almost instantly.

7 hours ago, Guest Landi said:

how is arcane power managed with this build? I feel like my dps is being bottle-necked (in non-archon form) by the fact that arcane torrent, coupled with the insane amount of attack speed gained by archon stacks out of archon form (enabled by The Swami), drains my arcane power almost instantly.

There isn't really anything with the goal of AP management, since the entire build focuses on your ability to either deal damage in Archon or get yourself to your next Archon ASAP. You should be spending most of your time kiting/surviving and only ATing in down time. If you are really struggling, swap to the OROTZ version for less Archon downtime.

A couple things:

@IllusiveBrian: When you are in Archon form, what color is the beam and what kind of damage do you deal? Should be blue and dealing lightning damage. The build works well for me, having used 1 lighting, 1 cold and 1 arcane spell and then triggering Archon with Combustion Rune adds the 4th stack for the Tal Rasha Set bonus.

Edit: I might have misinterpreted what you said. It is mandatory to use Combustion Rune, if you have no other fire damage skill selected.

@Guest Landi: I ran into this problem too, but mostly think that overcasting Blizzard (using 2. Solo Progression Variant) caused my mana to empty too quickly, so I just changed Blizzard into Magic MissileMagic Missile Glacial SpikeGlacial Spike, can't really tell how it works yet though. Draining your mana with Arcane TorrentArcane Torrent Static DischargeStatic Discharge is intended for me though, since I use Obsidian Ring of the ZodiacObsidian Ring of the Zodiac.

@all: I can not understand why Bane of the TrappedBane of the Trapped is favored over Bane of the PowerfulBane of the Powerful. Can someone explain that to me? 

Also I suggest to use Aether WalkerAether Walker instrad of Orb of Infinite DepthOrb of Infinite Depth for the weapon slot of Kanai's Cube, since I quit running at all and am only porting around, being in Archon form around 95-99% of the time.

Edited by Moos

@Moos I'll try to walk through the whole problem so it's clear to anyone reading:

The Vyr's set gives me all the runes for Archon, including Combustion.  I have only lightning elemental damage, so the main damage of my archon abilities is lightning, which all 6 set bonuses of Tal Rasha's correctly read.  Combustion is special in that it always deals fire damage regardless of the main damage of Archon, and on my screen it does show a red explosion, rather than blue, no matter which rune I choose on Archon.  However, assuming that I choose a rune other than Combustion, Tal Rasha's bonuses act as the following when I go into Archon and the combustion triggers:

2-p: A fire meteor is triggered

4-p: Resistances are not increased for the fire damage

6-p: A stack for fire damage is not added

Using the Combustion rune with no other changes fixes the issue and all 6 bonuses are correctly applied.

I switched from the Archon Firebyrd to this build yesterday and all I can say is WOW.

It's so much better and mobile and I have zero down between Archon.

This is an amazing build !

Hi,

Regarding Starfire weapon I dont see lightning damage increased in mine. I see like secondaries: maximum arcane power and chance to blind on hit.

Another question, is this build better for gps than firebird archon? Im using firebid archon build but Im thinking to change cuz Im having issues with archon cd, long cd.

Best regards.

On 18/1/2017 at 4:19 PM, Guest Aildiin said:

I switched from the Archon Firebyrd to this build yesterday and all I can say is WOW.

It's so much better and mobile and I have zero down between Archon.

This is an amazing build !

Are u playing group gr with both builds?

so ive found an awesome starfire 1500-1850 dmg range 6% AS 9% CDR now i dont know what to reroll, should i roll dmg% for int or try squeezing out to get 1550-1940 ? havent found anyone that could awnser my question maybe u can help me out would really appreciate it :)

Damage is great, but survivability is really bad. I thought it was me being a bad player but I watched Korean dude's stream who cleared 104 with FB in S9 and he was dying all the time playing this build. Finally he managed to clear 100, with the help of shield and conduit pylons but still died 2 times I think. It's probably worth to augment Vitality and/or Dexterity on some of your ancients for more toughness because it's just too squishy.

Using in-geom in this build can get you some massive archon stacks if you can chain enough elite packs and minimize your archon cooldown. 

guys, i notice my archon beam is red in colour. am i doing anything?

how do i link my build here?

14 hours ago, Guest shougkiy said:

guys, i notice my archon beam is red in colour. am i doing anything?

how do i link my build here?

Check all your items if u have somes fire/corld/arcane overall damage, u only need lightning as well...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.