FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Windowlicker

Tried Survival, hated it, trying Marksman, am totally confused

I have read and re-read the guide for Marksman and I am just totally at a loss. Why did they have to make such a complicated spec and why do you have to have 1000 addons to play it? Can anyone just break it down for me? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

I do hope you are trolling, because 7.1 Marksmanship isn't all that hard.  However, if you are NOT trolling, I would suggest playing the spec, fire a few shots at target dummies for about 10 mins and get a handle on just what order you need to press the buttons in.  The guide will help in the process, and with selecting talents,, but as far as learning to play, nothing can beat actually playing the class.

More or less just focus on having and spending focus (try to never get capped unless you're getting 2 stacks of sidewinders) on your aimed shot when you have either fired the Windburst, Sidewinders or the Marked shot (to apply vulnerability). Aimed Shot literally does zip dmg without that debuff. That's basics of it.
First get a hang of that and eventually you will also learn to control your sidewinders/marked shot for some nice burst, together with Trueshot. Especially in AOE situations. 

Hope this helps a little.

1 hour ago, Maltharion said:

More or less just focus on having and spending focus (try to never get capped unless you're getting 2 stacks of sidewinders) on your aimed shot when you have either fired the Windburst, Sidewinders or the Marked shot (to apply vulnerability).

This is basically why I cannot understand how to play this spec. It sounds exactly like the guide.

Have the rotation up on another screen or write it down somewhere and just sit at your target dummy practising it for about half an hour, and then go and do a bunch of dungeons / WQs as MM and figure out how you can adapt it to real situations. It's completely different to how hunters have been for a long time so you'll have to take a bit to get used to it, but it's a very easy spec and although not very fluid, can perform quite well.

As far as ranged specs go, MM is pretty much the most basic you'll find and there's no addons I can think of that you'd need to be able to play it. Just gotta focus on using your abilities whenever they're off cooldown and making the most out of them. Just test it out on some dummies and some dungeons and really stick to the opener/general rotation and you'll do fine.

Best of luck! The guide is your best friend, pretty much memorise it and read all the other posts on the forums here about MM dps too, you can learn a lot from doing so.

• Like 1

Complete overhaul to the spec now mate, have a read at the updated Marksmanship guide, you'll find it much much easier now and the guide is far more in depth. If you struggle with it again, just post here again for any future questions and I'll give it an answer.