FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Krazyito

How to ask for help with your Mistweaver Monk

You should treat mastery (and to an extent, spirit) as if those stats aren't even on the item because for a mistweaver, they might as well not be.

So much this.

Even the normal sword is far better than the mastery/spirit staff.

Even the spirit haste mace from garrosh is ok to help you reach haste breakpoints. But nothing with spirit/mastery is even worth thinking about.

I have even headed away from the set bonus's for off pieces with higher ilvl and crit and i have only seen increases in my healing and dps done.

I am SO frustrated! Here's the deal: Item Level  - 538, Int - 22,698, Spirit - 8,321, Haste (in Fierce) - 6,174, Crit - 28.12%. So, from the looks of the stats, I should be rockin' the heals, right? I can't seem to get over 60K -- EVER! More usually, I'm around 40. My Shammy, my Druid and my Priest -- who are all at lower Ilvls -- ALL healer higher than that. It's embarassing and frustrating!

Here's my rotation - I put Renewing on the tank, hit Chi Wave, Expel Harm and Chi Brew 2x. Then, Uplift 2x, add Renewing to somebody, Thunder Brew to extend Renewing, redo Chi Wave, Expel Harm and Uplift 2x. If Chi Brew is ready, I hit that and Uplift is there's any Renewing ticking. If not, I refresh Renewing, rinse and repeat. I use Soothing Mist to build Chi while waiting for Renewing to spread and for raising Chi. I do have the Statue up at all times and I let the tiger loose whenever I have a target and he's ready. I use Revival when necessary but hold it most of the time.

So why aren't my healing numbers a whole lot higher? Somebody - anybody - please help. Give me your advice, impressions, suggestions, questions, comments, whatever. I would really like for this to be my top healer.

I am SO frustrated! Here's the deal: Item Level  - 538, Int - 22,698, Spirit - 8,321, Haste (in Fierce) - 6,174, Crit - 28.12%. So, from the looks of the stats, I should be rockin' the heals, right? I can't seem to get over 60K -- EVER! More usually, I'm around 40. My Shammy, my Druid and my Priest -- who are all at lower Ilvls -- ALL healer higher than that. It's embarassing and frustrating!

Here's my rotation - I put Renewing on the tank, hit Chi Wave, Expel Harm and Chi Brew 2x. Then, Uplift 2x, add Renewing to somebody, Thunder Brew to extend Renewing, redo Chi Wave, Expel Harm and Uplift 2x. If Chi Brew is ready, I hit that and Uplift is there's any Renewing ticking. If not, I refresh Renewing, rinse and repeat. I use Soothing Mist to build Chi while waiting for Renewing to spread and for raising Chi. I do have the Statue up at all times and I let the tiger loose whenever I have a target and he's ready. I use Revival when necessary but hold it most of the time.

So why aren't my healing numbers a whole lot higher? Somebody - anybody - please help. Give me your advice, impressions, suggestions, questions, comments, whatever. I would really like for this to be my top healer.

If you were to post some logs it would help.  Although, I've helped you before and I'm sure the problem is the same... You just aren't pushing your buttons on CD/ using them enough.

Uplift should be your top healing spell.  You should pretty much be spamming that as well as your chi generating abilities such as Chi Brew, ReM,  expel harm, ans soothing mists as a filler.

Adding to Krazy's suggestions.

Have you considered experimenting with Chi Burst in place of Chi Wave? I find the lack of control of Chi Wave a little offsetting personally, and only use it on fights where I know for sure I can't make use of Chi Burst often enough to make it worth it.

I'm a HUUGE fan of the Burst though.

I'd recommend playing with Burst at least on Sha. Its usually just about my top heal there. Start precasting just before Swelling Pride hits and watch the raid's health soar back up.

Also nice on Malkorok to blast the melee team with. If using the ReM glyph, those should take care of the ranged and you can make use of SCK/RJW in melee for great numbers.

I could go on for just about all fights except Immerseus 10m normal biggrin.png

Edited by Ceraius

Many thanks for the replies, guys. I can change to Chi Burst and give it a try. Interesting note about that Sha too. I do use SCK but not RJW too much. I can raise that, I guess.

I have been using Uplift like mad, whenever it is in vogue -- even with only 2 Chi on me. But I am really liking Thunder Brew Tea for helping prolong ReM. I can usually get off 3-4 Uplifts while it's in force.

And I agree. Immerseus is his own set or problems. No telling what the heck will happen with him.

Again, thanks for the help, as always.

This article has been EXTREMELY helpful, so I just wanted to say thanks for everything guys. My question is with my ilvl at 543 I'm only averaging around 45-63k hps in flex boss runs. I'm not exactly sure what is really acceptable but I know I'm always the 2nd heals or just under third. I now know my gear is waaay over haste gemmed (was told by a RL buddy to only stack haste for now) and even followed the askmrrobot advised listed here which is what brought me under 30%. I'm working hard on getting my legendary meta and cloak right now but I'm hoping to really get into some actual SoO raids soon =/ should i be stacking tons more crit than I have been? if I was to add that into mrrobot weight stats what exactly would I change this to?

thanks in advance =)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostwolf/Tacticalbacn/simple

I would definitely stack more crit at your gear level.  Generally being around 40-45% crit raid buffed is a general theme.  It also allows you to play more recklessly with your mana as you'll have more mana tea stacks more often.

Monk healing in 25 man is harder to justify than in 10 man.  Monks really don't bring as much to the table as say a shaman, priest, or druid.  In 10 man, they can pretty much cover the whole raid the majority of the time and can get those quick burst healing when needed.

For 25man, all I can tell you is just to constantly spam Uplift.  Generate chi anyway you can, and keep up ReM and TfT as you are, and just spam uplift.

Another thing is it seems like your group is overhealing a lot of that heroic content Pretty much everything can be 4-5 healed while you guys are doing about 6 for all of them.  

The more healers you have, the less you can do.  For the most part, I wouldn't worry about farm content unelss you're really trying to practice getting high HPS.  If you're significantly below the other healers on progression, except a disc priest,  (by about more than 5-10%) then I would worry more.  

1. Immerseus: 3-4 really at this point in gear/progression
  2. Protectors: 4-5
  3. Norushen: 4-5
  4. Sha of Pride: 4-6 depending on strat
  5. Galakras: 4-5
  6. Iron Juggernaut: 5-8 depending how comfortable you are with it.  8 healing was a viable first kill strategy, with more gear you can definitely  do 6 and be fine.
  7. Dark Shamans: 5.  Don't deviate from 5 really.  3 up top, 2 down below.  If you have someone who can solo heal the bottom, then either have 3 or 4 up top.  6 healers is too much.
  8. Nazgrim: 4-5
  9. Malkorok: 5-6
  10. Spoils: easy 5 with one person switching to both Mogu sides, but 6 is viable as well.
  11. Thok: 7-8
  12. Seigecrafter: 3-4 depending on strat and raid DPS
  13. Klaxxi: 4-5
  14. Garrosh: ?? 4 ??

Don't take this into consideration if your group isn't wiping too hard though no use in fixing something that isn't broken..  This is just a reason why your HPS could be low.

I'm trying to getting used to Raid healing, but my HPS (in LFR) seem very low at the moment compared to other healers.

How much HPS should a MW Monk have at iLvl 528?

Other healers have like 3 times my numbers.

Not looking for log analysis, just what the current standard is before moving onto Flex and Normal to gear up.

First, I really don't know what you should be pulling in that gear.  Even if I was raiding on my monk I would have been way higher in ilvl to even remember.

Secondly, its not a really good metric for healers to say "You should be pulling these types of numbers in this gear" because the type of raid damage going out vs the amount of gear and the ability of the other healers will affect your HPS significantly. 

If you're way behind in HPS what you need to be looking at is:

1. Are you playing correctly?
  2. Are you gearing correctly?
  3. Are the other healers way over gearing the content they are doing?
  4. How much raid damage is actually going out relative to the gear of all the other healers?

Basically, I can't give you a solid number on how much you should be doing because it depends on the boss fight and the difficulty you are playing at.

The best I can tell you is give logs and we can maybe see whats going on.

I was recently going over my spec and reforge and discovered that I was WAY low on the haste. However, when looking at the weights that are listed it has haste at close to 50%. I was told that After 38.(whatever) percent, that haste is no longer effective. So I kept my crit and adjusted the haste cap to 9020 instead of the 12000 on the weights. Anyway, my question is, if Haste is no longer affected after 38% why have it close to 50% and is it okay to forego that (After 38%) and keep with crit? Here is my monk's armory. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Daxiali/simple. (I am currently specced with Rushing Jade Wind over Xuen. It seems to work better when we have fiths where we are stacked.)

I am currently raiding in a 10 man with a Paladin and Disc priest. I expect my heals to be lower considering the absorbs they both have. Is there anything I should be doing to keep up with them in heals? (I often feel like I am kind of Off-Off healing and a bit useless on some fights.) Some fights they can run 8% - 10% over me. So wondering if that is just normal or if I am missing something.

In answer to what one person said about being low in LFR, Krazy is right, in LFR it all depends on how much damage is going out, who is also healing, and how much damage the raid is taking. As a monk you can lose out on healing having to move even if you keep renewing mist up and use uplift simply because priests can bubble and heal and heal on the run much easier. At least in my experience.

That haste value is not absolute.  Its just what I was using at the time that I made the guide.  You can use whatever haste breakpoint you feel is necessary.

As for if past a specific point is worth it, Its been my opinion that haste is still fine stat to go for up to about 50%.  I feel after 50% it starts being too costly in terms of stat distribution. 

My recommendation though, is to get about 45% crit raid buffed before deciding if you want to go up another haste breakpoint.  At about 50% crit you're just critting so much you're probably better getting the haste while still critting for a ton

• Like 1

I follow Brewmonksta rule of thumb: Use the highest haste breakpoint you can get, without going under 40% crit raid buffed

so...i've read this post endlessly and is a huge user of ask mr robot ... i've setup my mistweaver monk to 10k spirit but im not sure at all with the haste and all....

any chance for a Little help? setup in advanced etc in amr?

link to armory here:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Brewsvilliz/simple

and why is there so many different stages of haste break point? and which should i use?

Edited by Brews

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/d9f30d9b-34c5-47a8-99d6-6415529104d0

This is what I got for your character with the above weights.

Basically, don't get spirit.  More crit = More Mana Tea = More Mana.

I picked 9k haste breakpoint based on your crit levels that you end up having (about 33% crit)  I would stay here until your crit reaches about 40-45%.

There a different levels of haste because these are the thresholds that give your Renewing Mists extra ticks.  If you click "edit weights" and "change soft cap" you can see different haste levels.  

Basically the haste levels that are relevant are only the Renewing Mists breakpoints.  12k haste is probably the highest you'll get to in higher gear and I don't know of anyone actually using 15k.  Maybe with 2 heroic amp trinkets, but meh.

If you have any more questions let me know

Hi just thought I might be able to pop in for a check up. Xuanwu is my toon

I dont have much of a mana issue.

My prio is

Renewing mist

Rushing jade wind

uplift

chi burst when off cd

soothing mist

Enveloping mist (if I know large amount of damage is on its way or the tank is getting low, and never hard cast. I will cast soothing mist to make it instant cast)

Life cacoon (same as above)

My trinkets are linked to renewing mist and uplift so they are always on cd (more for the fact I would forget them otherwise)

I always have Jade serpant statue up and try to be in the middle of the mellee group

I average around 70-80k hps in most fights (but I mainly just lfr so I know that doesnt mean much.

Any advice is welcome

Hey all,

I used to play casual, but lately i'm raiding more in 10m's. I always could manage with the basic PvE stats on AMR, but as many MW's, heals are much lower then other classes. Tried to implement the custom setting to my char, hoping it's correct. Any chance any1 could check em ???

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/57599ddc-3461-4b0f-974d-4520df6cf18a

Armory link : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/moonglade/Shamonk/simple

If i compare mine with IE. Unpl @ Lightning's Blade, his gear is stacked with inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_orange.jpgPotent Vermilion Onyx and inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_yellow.jpgSmooth Sun's Radiance.

So, whats wise ??

- Gem with inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_orange.jpgPotent Vermilion Onyx and inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_yellow.jpgSmooth Sun's Radiance and reforge the rest ?

- Do stats change on ilvl ?

- When does the haste cap change ?

- What does the haste(9158+) do (9158 just an example)

I've read many forums, but somehow i just can't do the math, so i'd like to stick around here for 1 answer instead of 10ish different ones.

I'd like to learn more and more about the stats, so i will be able to implement the correct number myself instead of asking others. Guess i've come to the point i just can't 1-click my way into better stats / healing outputs wink.png

TIA all for your time and effort to try and teach this n00b tongue.png

PS: i made a new topic in the Monk thread, so the posts dont get mixed. Delete my post here ??

Edited by Shamonk

Hey all,

I used to play casual, but lately i'm raiding more in 10m's. I always could manage with the basic PvE stats on AMR, but as many MW's, heals are much lower then other classes. Tried to implement the custom setting to my char, hoping it's correct. Any chance any1 could check em ???

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/57599ddc-3461-4b0f-974d-4520df6cf18a

If i compare mine with IE. Unpl @ Lightning's Blade, his gear is stacked with inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_orange.jpgPotent Vermilion Onyx and inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_yellow.jpgSmooth Sun's Radiance.

So, whats wise ??

- Gem with inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_orange.jpgPotent Vermilion Onyx and inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_yellow.jpgSmooth Sun's Radiance and reforge the rest ?

- Do stats change on ilvl ?

- When does the haste cap change ?

- What does the haste(9158+) do (9158 just an example)

I've read many forums, but somehow i just can't do the math, so i'd like to stick around here for 1 answer instead of 10ish different ones.

I'd like to learn more and more about the stats, so i will be able to implement the correct number myself instead of asking others. Guess i've come to the point i just can't 1-click my way into better stats / healing outputs wink.png

TIA all for your time and effort to try and teach this n00b tongue.png

So basically, the way you have it gemmed now is correct.  Crit is much more valuable than spirit haste or mastery, and 2 crit is better than 1 int.

Your gems don't change based on ilvl.  Its the same, otherwise I would have mentioned at the first post.

Haste caps change based on your crit levels, basically the closer you are to 45-50% crit (buffed) the more likely you are able to go up a haste breakpoint.  I really wouldn't go any higher than the 12k haste breakpoint (not really sure you can even sustain more than that in current gear)

The haste breakpoints give you more ticks on your renewing mists which can lead to more healing overall when the raid isnt topped off.

As for more stats, you want to avoid mastery like the plague right now.  Any gear that you have with mastery you should get rid of ASAP.

Your mastery ring should change to the haste one from Iron Jugg, or the crit one from Malk, your staff should change to the one from Sha (preferred) or Siegecrafter.  Alternatively you can get the Offhand from Iron Jugg and the sword from Nazgrim. There is a better head piece somewhere, but its better to try to get the tier helm. You should try to get the pants from Spoils while grabbing the 4 other tier pieces.  (your shoulders have mastery on them, but the 4pc is worth having)

As for trinket you want to aim for having Immerseus amp (DPS amp, only from normal and heroic, you can't coin it) and Sha of pride Amp (healer amp).  Then also have Thoks for AoE situations.

• Like 1

Hey Shamonk,

first of all you're definitely headed in the right direction hopefully I can help a little bit.

but as many MW's, heals are much lower then other classes.

if I understood this correctly (knowing me I'm pretty sure I'm not) you're saying that MW's are much lower than other healing classes? I disagree. Yes, there are fights that MW's don't excel on in SoO but for the most part in 10m I believe they're OP atm. Not an easy class to play well.

Obviously, you want to avoid Mastery for the time being. Crit = WIN. You want to try and get to around 40% raid buffed first and eventually get Haste to around 50%. You gain an additional tick with each haste breakpoint but it is not worth gemming pure haste. 

It's great you're doing your own research and though it's silly to take things said at face value I recommend reading anything posted by Brewmonksta or Krazyito. They know what's up and extremely helpful.

Edited by TacticalBacon

...but for the most I believe they're OP atm. Not an easy class to play well.

Uhm... How many disc priests have you played with this tier?

Monks are really in a bad spot right now, don't get me wrong they can perform well for the situation, but the problem right now is they have to work much harder than other healers to do the job right and they get punished on the meters (like it even matters, but apparently that's what people look at to determine skill) when they try to help the raid push phases.

Their cooldown is so clutch, there is no good spot to use it outside of emergencies and absorbs in general will lower their output tremendously because it stops players from dipping below 100% which is the only way their hots will excel.

In a 10m, sure, you can probably feel OP, but in higher tiers of raiding monks are not as good as a disc priest/paladin/shaman.

In a 25m, they can have a spot, but again, you're better off with another shaman or disc preist (depending what you don't have) if you're killing heroics

if I understood this correctly (knowing me I'm pretty sure I'm not) you're saying that MW's are much lower than other healing classes?

Ow dear gawd no LOL. I meant asin the heals by numbers. Doing 50K-60K compared to other classes 100+K. But that hopefully will change with all the tips / advice gained from here xD.

I made a new topic,with my initial questions, but couldnt delete the first one i posted here , so maybe in the futiure i'll poke you to respond there wink.png

TIA all and may the loot-gods be withyou all.

Slight update in the amstery section about if you should switch to a different item or not.

When comparing the stats make sure you keep the 2crit >1int idea in your head.  Look at the int + spellpower you may gain vs the crit you would lose.

I apologize in advance if I missed some important format in posting this, but  I am in dire need of help with my monk for healing. 

I am in the same situation essentially as Taipo in the beginning of this thread. 

Nomatter what I do, I cannot get above 30-40k Hps in lfr or dungeons and more often than not I am usually OOM on top of that. 

I have tried multiple reforges and re-gems and different enchants and none of it is working. 

I do not use "fist weaving" as I think (imo) it's stupid to be a spellcaster standing in melee range so I do not do it, but even when I do out of sheer desperation my healing doesn't improve, it actually goes down even further. Which leads me to being voted out of almost every LFR I attempt, I have yet to even unlock the entire SoO in lfr since I usually get kicked out right around gates of retribution  for low heals (25-30k)

I have read the Mistweaver  thread till my eyes bleed, I have tried all different kinds of buff foods and flasks, I use Soothing mist for low dmg, and renewing mist on CD.  When the dmg is a little higher I weave in an enveloping mist /surging mist , and when I have renewing mist up on a handful of people I throw out an uplift  and even a Revival, I still can't break that 30k (ish) benchmark for healing. 

Though admittedly I have never gotten my timing just right with RM+uplift to have it going on 8-16ppl at a time. 

I have attempted the proving grounds on bronze several times, and I can't even do that fully. At wave 5/5  with me spamming heals (and yes my statue is always up) I just cannot interrupt enough dmg spells from the adds to keep that tank npc alive)

but yet, when I go in with a priest (disc OR holy) a Resto druid, or resto shaman I barely have to try and I pull 50-60k hps, usually at least, sometimes it's a little lower but that's without me having to pop a major CD like tranquility or anything. 

I know me having a couple ilvl 483 or 502 pcs is hurting me,  but I also have a couple 553+ items and they don't seem to be helping me any.  I have been in lfr or random pugs with freshly boosted 90's with nothing but ilvl 483 geared monks and they just blow me away on heals  doing 40-50k+ and barely seem to have any mana issues. 

I have tried chi torpedo, Xuen, Jade wind,  .// chi wave, chi burst etc.. ascension , chi brew  and a lot of other combinations and just .. nothing works at all.  I know it's a really new healing style to me since I am use to the more established  priest or druid or shaman style but I don't feel like I should be THAT far behind, Especially against other monks with an ilvl 483 when mine is 522+ so I have higher intellect and crit etc. 

Here is my armory link,: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/whisperwind/Jandersun/simple

Any suggestions from the Sages of Mistweavers here?