FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
exxodys12

So... New to WOW kinda but not to MMO

OK.. as stated above "yes" I am new to wow sort of, I have been playing on and off but not seriously I have played and ran corps, guilds and clans in other MMO's such as City of Heroes, Star Trek Online, EVE, and STO so in ways I am experienced the MMO environment but I have always in a essence been a lone wold I ran these clans but I didn't participate in events and runs. So now to get to my point on here I am looking at getting into WOW at a serious and competitive level. So to get to where I need some suggestions and assistance is this I stopped playing and paying about a year ago and my warrior night elf was a level 28 well a good friend of mine got a scroll of resurrection to me and boosted my warrior to level 80 me thinking this is awesome well not so much I just got overwhelmed and lostI have been active in WOW since then until this last month and I have had my warrior and a worgen DK but I just cant seem to get them to level and I am not playing instances, dungeons correctly. So my plan is to find a low pop or new server create a new warrior start from the beginning and doing this correctly. So here is were I come into question for now I want to DPS but eventually I want to run raids and tank I am a very good and focused leader in general, I know where I want to be with spec choices and professions for my specs primary will be fury and secondary will be protection, as for my professions will be blacksmithing and mining but my problem is do I want to go with Worgen or Night Elf most people I know they do not pay attention to racial perks but me running clans and guilds in multiple MMO's to be the most competitive and the most efficient raider you must take into account the racial perks this has been the case way back to the original video game RPG's. Now my question fist off is there a server suggestions that will be good for a new player that want's to learn, also what is the best of the races I am looking at for what I want to do I have always been partial to the Night Elf race I am partial to Elfs in all lore, but the worgens are pretty interesting and not needing a mount to move quickly. I have done plenty of research I know the Night Elf offers plenty pretty much turns my heavily armed warrior into a ridiculously armed rogue the only thing the that the worgen is offering is superb armor ratings.

(If my post is the wrong sections please move and let me know thank you)

Edited by exxodys12

WALL O TEXT CRITS FOR 9000!!

Anyways, to your questions:

I wouldn't suggest rolling on a low pop server. It's low pop meaning there is no one on at all. The market on the auction house will inevitably suck and you won't be able to find glyphs let alone enchants that aren't priced ridiculously.

Class wise, there really isn't much of a difference between them for racials. Also, this late in the game, it may not even be worth it to worry about them at all. Mists is coming around soon and racials may completely change.

Basically, pick a class you want to play and a server that either has friends you know on it already or a medium to high pop server. Start a new toon at level 1 and play it from there as the main spec you want when you hit end game. You want to tank on your warrior in raids? Level as prot and learn the class and spec from the ground up. That's how I've always learned to play a new class. Also, since you're here, read the guides for your classes. You may get information from it that makes it so you don't even have to reroll to learn your class.

• Like 4

China called, they want their wall back Posted Image

I have to agree with LCS rolling on a low server doesnt have many pluses. If you want to be a "lone wolf" then its still possible on even highly populated servers. You will always find areas and times where you can mine for ore in peace and quiet and you will no doubt be able to quest solo.

If you are interested in the lore of the game then I think you should decide your race according to what interests you most. If you are going to read quests to the full, immerse yourself in the game then it will be more important to you than a basic racial Posted Image

You seem to have done quite a bit of homework in terms of your class, specs and your professions which sounds great, but dont get too hung up on it all. Just enjoy the game to start with and let other things fall into place as you go. In particular Blacksmithing can be a fairly intense profession for players new to the game, and require a higher than average number of mats to gather to level it up.

A good idea for new players, or anyone new to a particular server is to pick up both mining and herbalism from the start. Farm these mats as you quest and then you can save all of your ore / bars from mining and sell your herbs to help you get started with your gold.

If you have played other MMOs then you will probably understand the basic concepts of the game without much trouble, but just enjoy yourself. You may find that after 5-10 levels a warrior isnt what you really want to play and you may choose something else instead!

Good luck and welcome to the game! Keep Icy Veins bookmarked, you'll find it a great resource!

Edited by Peelyon

OK, thank you for the explanation another issue I have been having, finding people to play with that accept and understand I am new and trying to learn every guild or group I have came on sorry for my language but are elitist ass jerks. Now to explain what I am saying "Yes" I have always been a lone wolf and this is something I am trying to veer away from hence why I am coming back to WOW but coming on full force. So on this matter I have constantly looked but even with my level 60 DK and 80 warrior I can't find anyone to run raids with even classic and lower level raids I have found with the people I know that I am friends with are the worst offenders of this they have played for the entire 7 years since it WOW started. OK.. and for the dual gathering professions how long should I focus on mining and herbalism I like the idea for gaining gold this is very important to me as it should be gold is the very essence to move forward. Thanks for the comment on the wall of text >.< I am a blogger after all..

Sadly with the came being as old as it is the patience of new players is troubling for most. Personally I find trying to engage with players I don't know a little tedious. Random dungeon finders are testament to this, you are in a good group if people even say hello!

This is where guilds are important. I think you will find it hard to be a lone wolf and be able to engage in group aspects of the game (in an environment you will enjoy). Going back to the point LCS was making, if you move or start over on a high populated server you have a greater chance of finding groups that will run classic and older content, or perhaps even find a guild that allows players to "do their own thing" yet is there for group activities when you want to do them.

To answer your gold question, it's all relative sadly. Some servers you may get a lot of gold very quickly by selling herbs and ore on the auction house, others may are longer. Personally I have kept my gathering professions all the way up to max level, that way if I have been mining I have lots of ore etc to use to level my blacksmith up all in one go (using the money from herbs to buy anything Im missing). That way it almost pays for itself if you understand me.

One thing you can take from all this is that WoW has something for everybody, and I'm sure you'll find your niche, just may take a while to get there! But I strongly recommend joining a guild and becoming more involved, friends and guild mates are what make the game an MMO after all!

I think the wall of text remark was more for the absence of paragraphs Posted Image

Anyway, this is a very interesting issue you are raising. Joining a very good guild is hard, especially if you are new to the game.

As was said before, you need to join a high population server that has a lot of high-end raiding guilds. If you join a low population server, chances are there are only 1 or 2 decent guilds and if neither of them wants you, then you are screwed. On a high population server, you won't run into this sort of issues. Also, you will have to hop from guild to guild, each time getting into a better guild. With more guilds on the server, it will be easier for you to find the guild that is at the right progression for you.

Try to join one of the first servers on this page: http://www.wowprogre.../realms/rank/us

If you want to join your first guild, then you need to be at least in full LFR (Looking for Raid) gear + item level 397 gear from Valor Points. At this point in the expansion, only a guild with really bad progression will take you in with lower gear. Then, what you should aim for is to do one or two tiers of content with one guild before moving onto a better guild, and so on until you into a top guild.

Regarding your professions, you will need to have crafting professions on your characters because they offer much better perks than gathering professions for raiding. If you are worried about gold, you can simply make an alt, level it up to 85 and have Mining and Herbalism on it. Then, you can just take corresponding crafting professions on your main character (like Blacksmithing and Alchemy), and you're good to go.

If you really want to join a good guild, then you need to know that the application process is crucial and most high-end guilds get so many applications that they won't bother reading something badly written or without paragraphs. For example, the first post you made in this thread lacks structure and paragraphs and this is something you need to watch out for Posted Image

To give you an idea, making an application to a top raiding guild is a process that takes 3 or 4 hours to complete. They usually have a set of questions that you need to answer and you get to write a few paragraphs about yourself at the end. You need to really blow their mind with awesome replies, etc. and that takes time to prepare.

• Like 1

That is the problem I am finding is finding a Guild that I fit with and understand I am new. So to get onto the professions part now I understand exactly what your saying doing mining to get my ore for blacksmithing and herbalism to get a form of extra income coming in to make all the gold I need, pretty much what you are saying do my herbalism while I level cap my mining profession and use the herbalism to get that extra gold up once I am level 85 and my mining is fairly high in level this will in end make me a better blacksmith and be more useful to myself with gold intake. Now looking for a guild is there a way to find one that's offering what your looking for or do they have to recruit. These are just a few of the questions I do have but I will hair to keep the other questions until my current ones a answered to keep my brain focused.Posted Image

You can find recruiting guilds here: http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us?faction=alliance&raids_week=3&lang=en&class=warrior&spec=protection.

Just fiddle around with the advanced filters and you should find a list of guilds that suits you according to time and need. If you want to know more about a particular guild you can go to their website which should be in their info section on wowprogress. You could send them a mail, whisper them in game to ask a few questions. Not all the guilds that are recruiting are on here obviously. And you might also want to leave the class filter empty because guilds often recruit skilled players no matter what their class is.

That said getting into a top guild is really hard. Mine for example doesn't accept anyone unless they have an average item level of over 400 and decent progression (6/8 heroic). But you can do what a lot of people do: join a guild with low progression for a few weeks/months, get some progression and gear and once you feel like you've outgrown/out-skilled the guild you can move on to a better one. All the way to the top.

OK, thank you now I don't fully understand how progression and heroic standing system works I hate sounding like a noob but when it come to WOW well I am any help is wonderful help thank you.

Progression just means how far you progressed in the game, more specifically in raids. A guild has to kill all the normal bosses in a raid before it can try them on heroic mode(the next week), so progression is normal and then heroic. In the current raiding tier (tier 13 aka Dragon Soul) there are 8 bosses so a guild first kills those on normal mode and then progresses through the raid on heroic difficulty. A guild who has 3/8 heroic kills has less progress than one with 5/8 heroic kills.

The further you get in progress, the harder the boss will be (normally), so you need more practice/kill/time to get further in progression. Sometimes this is not true which is why guilds might make a quick jump in progress (spine heroic for example was really hard and took weeks to kill while madness heroic was killed in just two nights, so a lot of people got stuck on 6/8hc but once they killed spine they immediately get to 8/8hc.) Raids also aren't linear, in this case you could choose between 2 different bosses to kill after Morchok. For heroic mode you can also skip a harder boss by killing it on normal and killing the next boss on heroic difficulty. In other words you don't have to kill the bosses in a linear order on heroic mode. Some guilds skipped Yor'sahj and Zon'ozz and killed Hagara first on heroic difficulty. However, this does mean that you can't kill those bosses again until the next week and you need to kill all the bosses on heroic mode (the first 7) in order to attempt the final boss, Madness of Deathwing, on heroic difficulty.

In short: progression means how many bosses you have killed and on what difficulty, it is a reflection of the skill/time/perseverance/dedication/... a guild puts into killing these bosses.

Tier 13 progression:

normal:

Morchok

Yor'sahj or Zon'ozz

Yor'sahj or Zon'ozz (the other one)

Hagara

Ultraxion

warmaster Blackhorn

spine of Deathwing

madness of Deathwing

heroic (not necessarily linear):

Morchok on heroic difficulty

Yor'sahj or Zon'ozz on heroic difficulty

Yor'sahj or Zon'ozz on heroic difficulty (the other one)

Hagara on heroic difficulty

Ultraxion on heroic difficulty

warmaster Blackhorn on heroic difficulty

spine of Deathwing on heroic difficulty

madness of Deathwing on heroic difficulty

I believe this is the first time I have started to understand all the mechanics in WOW its quite intricate. When I get into my new toon tonight I believe I will focus on the worgen warrior its different I believe I will do crafting skills with him start a night elf rogue and do gathering with her what are two good combinations between them I know I will do blackmithing and mining but what are some other very useful and profitable profession combinations.

Managed to miss much of this whilst being away for a few hours! :)

I agree with the guys when saying to avoid low population servers. I'd also say it is worth leveling a toon all the way up - my sister gave me her lvl 85 DK and I hate it as I have no idea what I am doing - it's just a wall of buttons! I would advise joining a leveling guild until you reach 85. Although many of them are poor some are not so bad & it is probably your best chance of running old content. Similarly if you manage to find a decent one the GM/officers are much more likely to be understanding to the fact you are new to the game.

There is not much point in looking at hardcore guilds until you are geared. I would say look at who you want to join, make a toon on that realm. Get to 85 then part ways with the leveling guild and look for a casual raiding guild. This will give you the chance to gear up and get more used to the game. Then look at applying for maybe a second raid group in your target guild and work your way through the ranks.

I must add though I really don't like when people gear up then leave us - it can be very frustrating if you teach someone to raid then they kick you in the backside!

es, I have a huge issue with this tactic I feel loyalty can go a long way have had people join my other game guilds/clans we helped them learn the ropes get the gear they wanted helped them with in game cash and what not then ditched us for a supposed higher ranked clan. I do not feel this is the proper way to go let alone proper sportsmanship and ethics. Maybe I level so far on my own and then look for a guild? does this work at all?

I believe this is the first time I have started to understand all the mechanics in WOW its quite intricate. When I get into my new toon tonight I believe I will focus on the worgen warrior its different I believe I will do crafting skills with him start a night elf rogue and do gathering with her what are two good combinations between them I know I will do blackmithing and mining but what are some other very useful and profitable profession combinations.

When leveling it can be popular to get 2x gathering skills as you will gain more exp this way so it can aid your leveling. As you don't have any other toons however making money is handy!

Herbalism gives matts for alchemy & inscription. I have found alchemy to give a reasonable return when leveling.

Skinning gives matts for leatherworking however you are not really going to get much use out of the leatherworking products.

As you have mentioned mining provides for blacksmithing. As you are a warrior you will be able to craft wepons and armour for yourself. Mining also provides matts for jewelcrafting.

Enchanting and Tailoring stand alone but do pair reasonably well for leveling as you can disenchant the stuff you craft from tailoring.

Think that covers the basis! I would either go for herb + alch or mining + blacksmithing.

In regards to gathering proffessions I would say skinning is the easiest to level (you can skin almost anything) and mining is the hardest (there can be a fair bit of competition for the nodes).

es, I have a huge issue with this tactic I feel loyalty can go a long way have had people join my other game guilds/clans we helped them learn the ropes get the gear they wanted helped them with in game cash and what not then ditched us for a supposed higher ranked clan. I do not feel this is the proper way to go let alone proper sportsmanship and ethics. Maybe I level so far on my own and then look for a guild? does this work at all?

It does and it is easily soloable, but you miss out on guild perks / the ability to get to know people at an early stage. It's easier to chat and get to know people as you level, a little less so when you are trying to concentrate in raids etc. Also it gives you plenty of time to see if the guild is right for you. You never know you may find an enjoyable guild that you want to stay with.

Edited by Peelyon

What peelyon said plus a leveling guild is fine to do this with - they are very very large guilds who's purpose is for people to level through - you wouldn't be expected to hang around long when you reach max level. It will make it much easier for you as there are people online all of the time to group with and if it is a good leveling guild the officers will be able to give you advice. Although I would never take a random from one of these guilds in a raid they can be excellent platforms.

I understand that way of looking at it, I just tend to feel bad about just theoretically kicking some one in the nads after that have taught me how to do certain things and helped me. On the other side of the coin is eventually you may own grow that certain group in gear or skill at this point yes you would find a better fit you don't want to drag the guild down and at the same time you don't need them dragging your progression down to a halt.

my main server is eitegg is there any good leveling guilds anyone knows uf on the server also my toons on eitegg have a lot of gold can I send gold to my other toons cross servers or not?

my main server is eitegg is there any good leveling guilds anyone knows uf on the server also my toons on eitegg have a lot of gold can I send gold to my other toons cross servers or not?

You cant send any gold cross-server unless you transfer a character to a that realm (which costs real $/£ etc).

ok so Ill stick with eitegg I think now onto another question, is fury the only spec for warriors that can dual wield weapons or can arms do it as well I am hoping to have a decent spec that can also dual wield double handed weapons.

I believe the best DPS spec for a war at the moment is arms - you'll be wanting a two handed wepon for that. Our dps war is fury though and he holds his own in raid no bother.

The guides on here are pretty comprehensive so give it a good read through.

Thank you, I have been looking through them I am hearing alot of bad things of fury apposed to arms I like the fury idea but at end two things must come out of my toon at end game 1 I must be able of contribute to the guilds raids and instances 2 I must enjoy playing my toon. This is why I ask so many questions thank you for the assistance it haws been very helpful and enlightening thus far.

exxodys12, if your interrested, i would be happy to have you start out in Silver Hand, so that you have somewhere to level your toon, without judgement, and with a lot of help from us and sister guilds. Then you can leave us and transfer to a hard core Raiding Guild later on when you get into raiding , and i have many on Silver Hand that would be great for that. Silver Hand is a GREAT server to be on, and my guild has everything you need. we supply you with gold to start with, bags, pots, elixers, all your repairs, flasks, food, and lots more....TOYS and PETS and FUN! If your interested, let me know :) ~Nyxx~

• Like 1

Leveling guilds are guilds made specifically to harbor characters that are leveling up. It'd be only normal to leave the guild once you're level 85. You will benefit from the perks they offer and, in exchange, each time you earn gold, the guild is given a small percentage of it.

Once you get into a raiding guild with your main character, you can simply level up your other characters in that guild ;)