FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
rheatarsk

What does prot war bring over pal?

Hi folks, i've been enjoying the tank role on my druid but am finding myself curious about prot war and prot pal. Is below roughly a fair assessment?

Pals have heals, lots of cds for mitigation, smallest hp pool, and qol +20% mount speed, good damage

war has more mobility (how relevant is this in higher content?), more hp, maybe more passive mitigation(?) but not as much self healing and lower dmg(?)

Do they bring anything else paladins dont? are there any situations where a group would wish they had a warrior if they were stuck with a pal?

Warriors got a nice damage buff with the new Devastator talent, and buffs to Thunderclap and Revenge, although they are already being nerfed across the board. With proper play and their legendary bracers, they can self-sustain almost indefinitely as far as healing goes, and they can use Intercept (and Safeguard) to reduce damage taken by their co-tank or other raid members. Finally, the Inspiring Presence talent gives them substantial passive healing to the entire raid (but not to themselves).

That being said, paladins bring an excellent toolkit with high damage and threat generation, topped off by a fair amount of raid utility, so I would recommend trying both classes and stick with the one you enjoy more. I've been playing since vanilla, and have yet to see a group want to trade a Prot paladin for a Prot warrior in any situation, but I'm sure it's happened some time, somewhere... maybe. :-)

But all kidding aside, you will likely find that both warrior and paladin are solid tanks for all levels of content, but that neither is quite as strong or well-rounded as your druid tank. Bears are just great in every situation right now.

Edited by Larssen

thank you for the perspective and info, how about the other way around, when they have a prot warrior but wish they had a prot paladin instead?

I know bear is certainly solid right now but for some reason it feels kinda boring to actually play it, I can't quite put my finger on why or what's missing for me though.