FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
gonlaz

Nighthold observations

Okay so we go into Nighthold today and I have a few observations, may be obvious but FWIW here they are:

Deeper Strat for outlaw and sin, RIP get out of it asap.

Outlaw was the go to spec for Scorp, Anomaly, Trillax. Assassination provided best dps (for me) on Krosus and Tichondrius.

I got a tier piece, which was a cloak - I know that's not news but I found it odd.

I really don't have much more but just found the instance interesting, Sin is changing, fast and damn me for not really studying outlaw much, it's important now more than ever I see.

4 hours ago, gonlaz said:

Okay so we go into Nighthold today and I have a few observations, may be obvious but FWIW here they are:

Outlaw was the go to spec for Scorp, Anomaly, Trillax. Assassination provided best dps (for me) on Krosus and Tichondrius.

I got a tier piece, which was a cloak - I know that's not news but I found it odd.

I really don't have much more but just found the instance interesting, Sin is changing, fast and damn me for not really studying outlaw much, it's important now more than ever I see.

Outlaw is in a really good spot atm. I'm still playing Sub, but I'm a minority. Outlaw is my second spec, but I don't have it up above 35 points yet so it's still on the backburner for the most part.

I like the changes to Sin, they make it a lot better and most fast-paced, but I don't think it has the toolkit to compete with Sub; it mostly lacks any form of AoE burst, but also doesn't have as high on-demand burn damage for a single target that will die quickly due to the duration and cooldown of Vendetta.

I'm in Europe though, so we hit the raid tonight. I'm sure it'll be fun, the raid looks pretty great. Very excited to see if they've managed to top BRF for best raid tier ever

8 hours ago, gonlaz said:

Hello! I also went last night, but my guild did not pass the first boss haha. Thanks for the data!

Also, the abilities of the scorpion can be blocked with cloak of shadows, I think. What other skills of other bosses can also be blocked?

Edited by Vdeku
  • Like 1

The scorpion abilities are easy just move to the back on focused blast and get behind a close crystal for shockwave, you can dps it while behind the crystal.

Cloak pretty much worked for anything I was into including a hard hitting fire bomb thing that the Spellblade boss did. I did my best to move out of everything so didn't use cloak too much but when I did, such as the fire on spellblade, it worked great. Feint was awesome. Also on my outlaw spec I have the legendary pants which heal me for 20% when I use Feint!

Tichondrius was by far the most difficult, lots of adds and stuff on the ground and plague things being thrown at you - claok and feint through anything and everything. That's as far as we got, going back Saturday to try the first 5 on Heroic, should be a hoot!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carrn said:

Outlaw is in a really good spot atm. I'm still playing Sub, but I'm a minority. Outlaw is my second spec, but I don't have it up above 35 points yet so it's still on the backburner for the most part.

I like the changes to Sin, they make it a lot better and most fast-paced, but I don't think it has the toolkit to compete with Sub; it mostly lacks any form of AoE burst, but also doesn't have as high on-demand burn damage for a single target that will die quickly due to the duration and cooldown of Vendetta.

I'm in Europe though, so we hit the raid tonight. I'm sure it'll be fun, the raid looks pretty great. Very excited to see if they've managed to top BRF for best raid tier ever

Yeah I spent so much time min/max'ing for en that I didn't do enough homework for Outlaw. I was hoping they would give sin some FoK love but they didn't. It absolutely was bad for those fights I mentioned above. I have done some homework for outlaw and sim and all that, just need to really see about my stats and gear. I am still unsure about my trinkets, they all seem to do the same damage on a dummy but that bloodthirsty one from Ursoc has really not improved cleave fights for me.

Btw loads of versatility and haste on the gear in there, loads.

For Skorpyron, unless you're playing Outlaw you can simply Shadowstep onto him when the cast goes off for Shockwave to not lose DPS time. Sub could obviously Shadowstrike, as well.

7 hours ago, Moblin said:

For Skorpyron, unless you're playing Outlaw you can simply Shadowstep onto him when the cast goes off for Shockwave to not lose DPS time. Sub could obviously Shadowstrike, as well.

Outlaw has Grappling Hook too

Hey!

Any assasination rogues around being slightly annoyed by the fact that most of the fights in NH are more or less AoE?
Any ideas how I could improve AoE damage without changing spec? I changed from outlaw to assasination pretty recently and I'd rather not change back (because Roll the Bones hates me)

21 hours ago, Inazumah said:

Hey!

Any assasination rogues around being slightly annoyed by the fact that most of the fights in NH are more or less AoE?
Any ideas how I could improve AoE damage without changing spec? I changed from outlaw to assasination pretty recently and I'd rather not change back (because Roll the Bones hates me)

get gear for Exsang build, be lucky and get a lot of posion bomb procs at the right time. Be even more lucky and get the legendary cloak. Multidot on longer living adds. I'm doing somewhat well, of course not compared to outlaws or the real aoe dps classes, but whatever. You won't get very far up the dps ladder with sin on most bosses I'm afraid.

On 1/25/2017 at 4:33 PM, Inazumah said:

Hey!

Heya,

Since I posted this, Neverzz over here   -  https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20748968342

Has updated his guide to include DFA for cleave, on a training dummy my numbers were pretty good, it involves alacrity, deadly poison, death from above, it could be useful for you

On 25/01/2017 at 9:33 PM, Inazumah said:

Hey!

Deadly Poison / Alacrity build is your friend.You might be able to get some interesting shenanigans out of Death From Above but I'm not convinced that this is the strongest spec. It seems more like a spec where you try to cheese numbers for yourself and not do the most effective damage for your raid.

That said, for fights like Tich where there are regular adds which die that you don't swap to, Marked For Death can be pretty successful once you get the 4 piece, and even more so if you have Envenom relics. Use it on the bloods as they come out, and continue to train the boss.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Carrn said:

Deadly Poison / Alacrity build is your friend.You might be able to get some interesting shenanigans out of Death From Above but I'm not convinced that this is the strongest spec. It seems more like a spec where you try to cheese numbers for yourself and not do the most effective damage for your raid.

I don't think that it would be used for cheesing numbers, if your raid calls for you to cleave it's much easier than multi rupturing and most adds in these fights are short lived, making dfa useful no? I mean dfa is instant damage as opposed to ticking, just my opinion of course and I haven't used it in raid myself and it's definitely not based on math, I suck at math lol.

1 hour ago, gonlaz said:

I don't think that it would be used for cheesing numbers, if your raid calls for you to cleave it's much easier than multi rupturing and most adds in these fights are short lived, making dfa useful no? I mean dfa is instant damage as opposed to ticking, just my opinion of course and I haven't used it in raid myself and it's definitely not based on math, I suck at math lol.

It's more that every single other class has more to offer on AoE dps than DfA would give you. Sin Rogue is the so abysmally bad at it compared to literally every other class that your raid is (more than likely) losing damage overall with you running DfA and swapping off the boss than it would be with you playing a more single target focused spec and just leaving the cleave to classes that are good at it

The main exception is if you have the FoK legendary; that can give you some really really dirty burst on a pack of adds once it stacks up

• Like 1

I am kind of turned off by how RNG Assassin AoE is. If I get back to back poison bomb procs I pull ahead of even the demon hunters, if I don't I do effectively nothing. 

I am thinking of going back to Outlaw. It ironically feels more consistent despite the mess that is Roll the Bones.

3 hours ago, Ashiraya said:

I am kind of turned off by how RNG Assassin AoE is. If I get back to back poison bomb procs I pull ahead of even the demon hunters, if I don't I do effectively nothing. 

I am thinking of going back to Outlaw. It ironically feels more consistent despite the mess that is Roll the Bones.

It doesn't really have any burst AoE, but I do see the appeal of it. 

On 1/28/2017 at 3:19 PM, Carrn said:

It's more that every single other class has more to offer on AoE dps than DfA would give you. Sin Rogue is the so abysmally bad at it compared to literally every other class that your raid is (more than likely) losing damage overall with you running DfA and swapping off the boss than it would be with you playing a more single target focused spec and just leaving the cleave to classes that are good at it

The main exception is if you have the FoK legendary; that can give you some really really dirty burst on a pack of adds once it stacks up

Makes sense, hey off topic real quick because I didn't want to start a thread for it, What's with the Insignia of Ravenholdt ring drop? I haven't seen Ormagrogg on my Quest map for months, is this thing no longer available?

40 minutes ago, gonlaz said:

Makes sense, hey off topic real quick because I didn't want to start a thread for it, What's with the Insignia of Ravenholdt ring drop? I haven't seen Ormagrogg on my Quest map for months, is this thing no longer available?

I'm confused - Insignia of Ravenholdt is one of our Legendaries. It can drop from anyone, any chest, etc like any other legendary item.

Why is Ormagrogg specific for it?

I assumed it only dropped from him as on wowhead the "drops from" only lists Ormagrogg and I couldn't find it being discussed coming from anywhere else

11 hours ago, gonlaz said:

I assumed it only dropped from him as on wowhead the "drops from" only lists Ormagrogg and I couldn't find it being discussed coming from anywhere else

Oh. That's... weird.

No, the Insignia is one of the Legendary drops that can come from any raid boss / emissary chest / M+ run etc. Not sure why it's that way on the site.

• Like 1