FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
wardal

Need help narrowing down class

I want a strong tank class that has a decent dps offspec, and something that can do endgame raiding and pvp. 

Im not asking for someone to pick a class, I know I have to like it, just want some suggestions as to whats good nowadays. I played from early Vanilla to WOTLK, doing somewhat serious raiding and casual PVP. Now coming back to Legion there are like 6 tank classes now and back when i tanked there was only 1 viable class and spec lol. 

I usually played a prot warrior or a holy pally. Is Prot / Fury or Arms still good enough for raiding? Part of me wants to roll warrior, and at the same time I kind of want to try something fresh. I still havent used my boost.  From what I've read, many say bear is the best but I wasnt a fan of druid class (although im sure its changed much since I last tried one). 

Thank you for any advice

Edited by wardal

As a 1st choice you can pick druid for raiding and pvp content (tank/dps/heal) and as a 2nd choice you can pick paladin for raiding content and pvp(tank/dps/heal).

I believe paladin gives players more joy as you can high dps even as tank/healer, you can save/heal raid members or pvp team members and ofc you can xmog badass.

As far as tanking goes for paladins, you will scale pretty nice and become quite strong offensive/defensive puttin you in 2nd place, under druid.

As far as tanking goes for druids, you will find that keeping mark of ursol up for as much as you can will benefit you a lot in Nighthold as 90% of bosses are magical and you can keep 1-2 ironfurs also for the auto-attacks/ physical abilities that need to be soaked + plety of cooldowns. To put it blunt, just rock solid for progress and high content Nighthold and gear is not a big factor in achieving that while for paladin you kinda need high end gear.

The prot warrior is having issues as it is like the DH, not having any migitaions for constant magical skills. I've started a subject about protection warrior and down the road I came up with a solution for some to try out for heroic/mythic content or heavy magical bosses in which you shield block would be irrelevant. It leaves you with either shield block spec ( devastator - vengeance-heavy repercussions with 30-35% haste, 40-50% mastery, around 10% crit and 5% versa + 2 set bonus benefit - glove and neck legendaries) or cooldown spec (devastator or indomitable - vengeance or dooming voice - anger management with same stats as first option (maybe cut 10% mastery to put it to versa) and ring-SW reduce time and neck legendaries and 2 set bonus benefit).

Here is the link:

On 21.1.2017 at 2:54 PM, wardal said:

I want a strong tank class that has a decent dps offspec, and something that can do endgame raiding and pvp.

So, basically you can pick every class which has a tank specc. Everyone has a decent dps offspec and you can do endgame content/pvp. If you're talking about progress-raiding, then you have to be willing to reroll anyway on that class what gives you or your raid the best opportunities. That means: we can give you some advice which class is the most suitable at the moment but that will change in future (as we all know). This advice has been given quite well by KinderHell.

I can just give you the following recommendation (my view):

- You are a person who like different things (tank, range, melee, heal) and have the most of the time a solid balance: go for druid

- You are a person who like different things (tank, melee, heal) and can stay alive fairly well in every situation: go for paladin

- You are person who like different things (tank, melee, heal) and have an interesting play stile: go for monk

- You are person who like just to tank or melee and with some good choice between single or AE-fights: go for death knight

- You are a person who like to tank or melee and skills for almost every situation: go for demon hunter

- You are a person who like to tank or melee and have your best moments in single target fights: go for warrior

On 1/27/2017 at 5:37 AM, Allseye said:

So, basically you can pick every class which has a tank specc. Everyone has a decent dps offspec and you can do endgame content/pvp. If you're talking about progress-raiding, then you have to be willing to reroll anyway on that class what gives you or your raid the best opportunities. That means: we can give you some advice which class is the most suitable at the moment but that will change in future (as we all know). This advice has been given quite well by KinderHell.

This is it really. I would recommend reading the class guides and seeing what is appealing to you. Beyond just what does  a tank do well is the rotation and what are you doing while playing. So take demon hunters, they have amazing utility tool kit, just glorious in mythic plus dungeons, however, personally i'm not having that much fun with it. Versus Monk tanks I'm having fun with it but its stressful for me, because, I like my health being at 100% and as a monk you'll typically sit around 40-50 percent most of the fight its how you work. What tanks right now at least end up being my favorite are DK and Pally. They are super durable and can do "good' dps. So, those fit my desired needs and playstyle. 

So, all tanks have advantages its just more, which ones are fun to play to you, which ones have things that seem you would like them. I find guardian boring my buddy can't stand blood dk, it comes down to taste :)