FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
PlaysOnAMac

Help with Soloing Isle of Thunder Rares

I'm having trouble soloing the rares on the Isle of Thunder to start the green fire quest. I play demo and for the life of me I can't kill any rares. I don't have an active guild to help me and no irl or wow friends to help me.

Is it just my skill le vel?My ilvl is 487 and I can't stay alive. Is it just my overall skill level? Once my Felguard goes down it's open season on me. What talents and glyphs do I need that might help me out? Or do I need to be in a different spec entirely?

On those rares, go affliction/destruction with supremacy talent and a void walker tank.

Please note that I believe you'll have a very tough time with an ilvl of 487 at the final boss in black temple, additionally it requires considerable skill.

Edited by Wolland

Yeah, alot of skill on the last boss. He's very difficult. From what I gather it's recommended to go Destro for that one. I've not completed it yet, I got fed up after a few trials and errors. Seems like you'll have to do alot of them. There are some good guides out there though to help you out in the final confrontation. Overall it's very fun, but frustrating smile.png

As everyone else said, use a void lord, much easier and he can usually take a beating.

Edited by Etahn

Yeah, alot of skill on the last boss. He's very difficult. From what I gather it's recommended to go Destro for that one. I've not completed it yet, I got fed up after a few trials and errors. Seems like you'll have to do alot of them. There are some good guides out there though to help you out in the final confrontation. Overall it's very fun, but frustrating smile.png

As everyone else said, use a void lord, much easier and he can usually take a beating.

It's the best single player encounter fight ever in the whole history of wow.

I did it as destro with sacrifice, that's how I spent the Easter holiday this year wink.png

Gotta learn the fight step by step, by heart, as it you were a symphony director, and play it flawlessly.

The sense of achievement once successfully completed is immense.

When you see a green fire warlock, tip yer hats.

Edited by Wolland

I did it as destro with sacrifice, that's how I spent the Easter holiday this year wink.png

Gotta learn the fight step by step, by heart, as it you were a symphony director, and play it flawlessly.

I would love to see similar quest lines for each class. Kind of like a "coming of age" for each class. I beleive with something like that and the proving grounds would be excellent ways to teach players how to play.

Try VW/VL pet for more reliable tanking. And try to find a party for rares, just spam in /1.

Play either Affliction or Destruction. Destruction has Soul Link + Ember Tap and Affliction has SB:HF

On those rares, go affliction/destruction with supremacy talent and a void walker tank.

Please note that I believe you'll have a very tough time with an ilvl of 487 at the final boss in black temple, additionally it requires considerable skill.

I would love to see similar quest lines for each class. Kind of like a "coming of age" for each class. I beleive with something like that and the proving grounds would be excellent ways to teach players how to play.

Ok so I took everyone's advice. I switched over to Destro and took Grimoire of Supremacy. I must be EXTREMELY lucky because I went to the Isle and started off by killing Goda because I heard he was easiest. Then I went over and downed Mumta by running out of line of sight when he did that aoe attack. Then I went and killed Goda 3 more times by just waiting the 30 minutes or whatever for his respawn and I got the book.

I'm going to try and do Black Temple because I saw a video of an ilvl 468 lock doing it so I may stand a chance. I'm so excited that I got it after only 4 rares. Thanks everyone! 

Spec probably doesn't matter a ton for soloing, but I prefer Demo for basically... everything.  But whatever you use, generally a list of usefulness:

1) Supremecy + Voidwalker makes tanking a cakewalk.  I still opt for Fel Guard + Service unless the mob hits unnaturally hard.  I prefer the burst + stuns.

2) Lot of people opt for Soul Link, but there's synergy between Dark Regeneration, Sac Pact, and Healthstones.  It helps that I cheat though...

3) Wanna cheat?  Pick up http://www.wowhead.com/item=86580.  Or heck, why not http://www.wowhead.com/item=86569 as well?  Those drop from older, easier to solo rare spawns.  I remember Haywire Sunreaver Construct going from annoying to a yawn fest using Lillypad on cooldown.

Edit:  LoL... guess I'm 9 mins late.  Congratz on getting the book.  Good luck in Black Temple.  I don't think you could do it @468 w/out using a potion to get rid of the debuff that auto-kills you.

Edited by Kaboozey

Spec probably doesn't matter a ton for soloing, but I prefer Demo for basically... everything.  But whatever you use, generally a list of usefulness:

1) Supremecy + Voidwalker makes tanking a cakewalk.  I still opt for Fel Guard + Service unless the mob hits unnaturally hard.  I prefer the burst + stuns.

2) Lot of people opt for Soul Link, but there's synergy between Dark Regeneration, Sac Pact, and Healthstones.  It helps that I cheat though...

3) Wanna cheat?  Pick up http://www.wowhead.com/item=86580.  Or heck, why not http://www.wowhead.com/item=86569 as well?  Those drop from older, easier to solo rare spawns.  I remember Haywire Sunreaver Construct going from annoying to a yawn fest using Lillypad on cooldown.

Edit:  LoL... guess I'm 9 mins late.  Congratz on getting the book.  Good luck in Black Temple.  I don't think you could do it @468 w/out using a potion to get rid of the debuff that auto-kills you.

I prefer Demo too. It's just a lot more fun to me. But here's the guide of the guy with the ilvl 468 lock.

He did use a potion right at the end I think. I'm 487. What do you recommend for an ilvl where the potion wouldn't be necessary? Or is it always necessary?

He did use a potion right at the end I think. I'm 487. What do you recommend for an ilvl where the potion wouldn't be necessary? Or is it always necessary?

I didn't get a book right away with EVERYONE on the island, and I had picked up a couple pieces out of ToT that raised my stats... so no potion was needed.  I ended up completing the quest when I was like... somewhere between 504 and 510 (I forget), and I did it as affliction.  Being that it had been my primary spec until it got the nerfbat when Throne of Thunder was released, I was most comfortable with it at that time.  It made imps super easy vis Seed (filling my health as they died), and using Dark Soul, SB/SS on every "dog" phase as soon as they spawned downed them fast enough.  The only drawback was not having any burst during the few moments he's stunned and taking extra damage.

I did the green fire quest when I had a 483 ilvl. It wasn't easy by any means, but I feel ashamed when I see warlocks running around in 510+ gear saying how it's too hard for them (they generally accuse me of lying when I tell them when I did it). I'm here to tell you that you can do that fight in blues and greens as long as you play well. Finishing that fight is much more about managing your agro and paying attention to things than doing super high DPS. Yes, I used a potion, but I still only needed about 3 extra minutes out of that 7.

I very much believe Destro is the way to go. Take Soul Leech, Shadowfury, SacPact, Unbound Will, GoSac, and KJC. For Glyphs I used Healthstone, Siphon Life, Soul Consumption, Enslave, Gateway, and... I forget the last one.

Sac your Imp. Flask, food, pre-pot, and let loose on him at the start until you get to imps, but save your CDs. Once you're enslaving the Pit Lord, make sure you start using your gate exactly on cooldown so he isn't targeting you. Use the Pit Lord's Fel Flame Breath on yourself often to avoid his Seed of Corruption from going off and to keep Agony from getting out of hand. Make sure your UI is set up so you can clearly see your debuffs.

When the imps come out, have the Pit Lord go to them and breath on them. Drop RoF on them, hit Fire and Brimstone, and go to town. Shadow Fury them to stun once all 60 have spawned. Soul Leech here will keep you from taking too much damage, but it doesn't matter how much you take. RoF and Immolate on 60 targets means infinite embers for Ember Tap.

When the boss does his... Cataclysm? Giant green channel in the middle, you have to interrupt it with the Pit Lord's charge. After the imps are down, and you've interrupted it, make your way toward HIS gate. Once he starts running toward it to spawn the fel puppies, hit Soul Shatter, run behind it, and drop Rain of Fire on the center of the gate where they're going to spawn. Since RoF only lasts 8 seconds and it's a 10 second channel to summon, you'll need to re-cast RoF part-way through his channel. The goal here is that the instant the puppies spawn, they turn toward you. If they so much as look anywhere sort of near the Pit Lord (who will be on Kanrethad), they will eat your Enslave and you will die.

At this point you're on your own. Watch your debuffs carefully, and use Singe Magic/Unbound Will to keep yourself clear of his seed. Hit Sac Pact, pop Dark Soul. Havoc the first one that comes out, then Chaos Bolt the second. You'll probably want to conflag after that Chaos bolt, but your goal is that your second Chaos Bolt kills that puppy, giving you the 20% heal from Glyph of Soul Consumption. Try to kill the puppy you Havoc'd with a Chaos Bolt as well, and just do what you can to get the third down quickly. Once you do this, congrats. You've made it through the most difficult part of the fight (seriously).

Next wave is the Doomguard. Before that happens, you're going to want to break and re-enslave your Pit Lord quickly. The fight is timed so that the 5-minute mark from the point of your original enslave is right at the second wave of puppies., which is really poopy. Once you've re-enslaved, have the Pit Lord get a couple quick shots in on Kanrethad (you're still using your gate, of course), and then have him go hit and breath on the Doomguard when it spawns so he will simply tank it the rest of the fight. When you get to the Doomguard, you're free to worry about nothing but pew pewing the boss until the next imps come out. If you make it here, you've seen the whole fight. Sometime near when he summons the imps is when you'll need to use your Potion of Purification to get that curse off.

From this point, you just repeat everything. When you notice Kanrethad is getting close to 20% (probably when you're getting to the second Doomguard with your ilvl), you'll want to pop your Doomguard on him. Pay attention to the enslave timer, because you MAY need to re-enslave before the second Doomguard if you're going to be cutting it close. After the second Doomguard, he only spawns imps the rest of the time (which means it's really easy and you only have to race the curse), but you don't want to have the Pit Lord breaking mid-imps.

Once you can do that, you'll understand why it can be done in blues and greens. 

Oh, as for general soloing, I always go Demo.Turn Threatening Presence on the Felguard, DoT everything with Corruption so Glyph of Siphon Life is healing me, gather it all up, pop Felstorm and Hand of Gul'Dan, go Meta, hit Immo Aura, and focus down mobs individually with ToC/SF to get Glyph of Soul Consumption proc. 

I did the green fire quest when I had a 483 ilvl. It wasn't easy by any means, but I feel ashamed when I see warlocks running around in 510+ gear saying how it's too hard for them (they generally accuse me of lying when I tell them when I did it). I'm here to tell you that you can do that fight in blues and greens as long as you play well. Finishing that fight is much more about managing your agro and paying attention to things than doing super high DPS. Yes, I used a potion, but I still only needed about 3 extra minutes out of that 7.

I very much believe Destro is the way to go. Take Soul Leech, Shadowfury, SacPact, Unbound Will, GoSac, and KJC. For Glyphs I used Healthstone, Siphon Life, Soul Consumption, Enslave, Gateway, and... I forget the last one.

Sac your Imp. Flask, food, pre-pot, and let loose on him at the start until you get to imps, but save your CDs. Once you're enslaving the Pit Lord, make sure you start using your gate exactly on cooldown so he isn't targeting you. Use the Pit Lord's Fel Flame Breath on yourself often to avoid his Seed of Corruption from going off and to keep Agony from getting out of hand. Make sure your UI is set up so you can clearly see your debuffs.

When the imps come out, have the Pit Lord go to them and breath on them. Drop RoF on them, hit Fire and Brimstone, and go to town. Shadow Fury them to stun once all 60 have spawned. Soul Leech here will keep you from taking too much damage, but it doesn't matter how much you take. RoF and Immolate on 60 targets means infinite embers for Ember Tap.

When the boss does his... Cataclysm? Giant green channel in the middle, you have to interrupt it with the Pit Lord's charge. After the imps are down, and you've interrupted it, make your way toward HIS gate. Once he starts running toward it to spawn the fel puppies, hit Soul Shatter, run behind it, and drop Rain of Fire on the center of the gate where they're going to spawn. Since RoF only lasts 8 seconds and it's a 10 second channel to summon, you'll need to re-cast RoF part-way through his channel. The goal here is that the instant the puppies spawn, they turn toward you. If they so much as look anywhere sort of near the Pit Lord (who will be on Kanrethad), they will eat your Enslave and you will die.

At this point you're on your own. Watch your debuffs carefully, and use Singe Magic/Unbound Will to keep yourself clear of his seed. Hit Sac Pact, pop Dark Soul. Havoc the first one that comes out, then Chaos Bolt the second. You'll probably want to conflag after that Chaos bolt, but your goal is that your second Chaos Bolt kills that puppy, giving you the 20% heal from Glyph of Soul Consumption. Try to kill the puppy you Havoc'd with a Chaos Bolt as well, and just do what you can to get the third down quickly. Once you do this, congrats. You've made it through the most difficult part of the fight (seriously).

Next wave is the Doomguard. Before that happens, you're going to want to break and re-enslave your Pit Lord quickly. The fight is timed so that the 5-minute mark from the point of your original enslave is right at the second wave of puppies., which is really poopy. Once you've re-enslaved, have the Pit Lord get a couple quick shots in on Kanrethad (you're still using your gate, of course), and then have him go hit and breath on the Doomguard when it spawns so he will simply tank it the rest of the fight. When you get to the Doomguard, you're free to worry about nothing but pew pewing the boss until the next imps come out. If you make it here, you've seen the whole fight. Sometime near when he summons the imps is when you'll need to use your Potion of Purification to get that curse off.

From this point, you just repeat everything. When you notice Kanrethad is getting close to 20% (probably when you're getting to the second Doomguard with your ilvl), you'll want to pop your Doomguard on him. Pay attention to the enslave timer, because you MAY need to re-enslave before the second Doomguard if you're going to be cutting it close. After the second Doomguard, he only spawns imps the rest of the time (which means it's really easy and you only have to race the curse), but you don't want to have the Pit Lord breaking mid-imps.

Once you can do that, you'll understand why it can be done in blues and greens. 

Oh, as for general soloing, I always go Demo.Turn Threatening Presence on the Felguard, DoT everything with Corruption so Glyph of Siphon Life is healing me, gather it all up, pop Felstorm and Hand of Gul'Dan, go Meta, hit Immo Aura, and focus down mobs individually with ToC/SF to get Glyph of Soul Consumption proc. 

I've watched so many guides that I feel like I could remember it all but I'll probably spaz out and die a few times. I just hope my laptop can take it. Theres some LFR boss fights where I can;t even get a spell off because of the lag...on the lowest settings

I've watched so many guides that I feel like I could remember it all but I'll probably spaz out and die a few times. I just hope my laptop can take it. Theres some LFR boss fights where I can;t even get a spell off because of the lag...on the lowest settings

Disable recount.  Get Skada.  Make sure you run WoW as an administrator.  Set its priority higher than average.  Should see a large increase in performance.