FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Skulyosis

Affliction vs. Demonology

Hello, I have a question regarding a peculiar difference between these two specs.

I normally play as Afflicition but recently made the change to Demonolgy. I was poking around on AMR today and noticed a huge difference between the percentage of mastery for the two specs. I have not changed any gear and if anything I have pumped more mastery in through reforge and gems since I went Demonology. But according to AMR, my Demonology Mastery rating is at 17.36% unbuffed and my Affliciton Mastery is at 53.81% unbuffed. Is this difference due to Dark Soul's Mastery boost in Demonology? Or is there something I am missing? As I said I haven't changed any gear and I have put more mastery/int gems into my gear since I went Demonology. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I should also mention that this isn't using the optimizer, this is just going off what I currently have on.

Edited by Skulyosis

Mastery works differently for Demonology.

The listed rating is the mastery damage bonus applied to your demons and to you in caster form. The tooltip will indicate that you get triple this bonus when Metamorphosis is active.

The base effects and ratios for mastery for the specs are different. Aff starts with 24.8% and only takes 193.5 mastery to raise it 1%, While demo only starts with 8% and takes 600 points of mastery to raise it by 1%.

Ah ok, that makes sense. So even though my mastery seems pretty minuscule the bonus is actually pretty substantial when it counts the most (i.e. during Meta).

Thank you for this, this has been a big help! :D 

Mastery scales different for all specs across all classes.  It's the 'specialization' of the specialization.  They adjust the numbers to bring classes in line with each other.  Affliction's Mastery only empowers your three DoTs while Demo's Mastery empowers everything, pets included.

Is it necessary that mastery enhance everything that demo has? Would it be insignificant if mastery also increased everything for the other specs?

It's not necessary at all.  Each spec's Mastery does something unique.  Aff = higher DoT damage (about 80% of all damage), Demo = all damage, and Destruction is Incinerate, Immolate, and Conflagrate at a percentage with CB and SB coming at another.  It doesn't modify Rain of Fire, but it does Fire and Brimstone, so it's almost 100% of its damage, but not quite.  I just disagree with using Mastery as a balancing tool like how the Meta gems were used to balance DPS specs.

WOOOOO THIS IS POST #2222!

If mastery increased everything, they would probably instead just increase the damage and scaling of spells and get rid of mastery.

WOOOO this is post #1 for me.  I guess I got 2221 to go to catch up.

Edited by Hurtlocker

Nah, Mastery is nice because it lets you decide what stats are more desired, so it adds to a degree of customization.

Welcome to the forums, fellow Mountaineer!

What do you think of them adding two new demons, like how demo has felguard/wrathguard, they could do a cool destro and affliction pet.

Felhunter is my Affliction pet and always will be except when I use an Observer.  Then I just use the Fel Imp because the Observer is annoying.

The Imp is my staple Destruction pet because it's an Imp damn it.

Pet variance in DPS is so low (200ish) that you take the one with utility or the one you don't mind.

That's generally what I do, the observer kind of goes with the MG color scheme, however his anus is annoying. I remember the imp being the destro pet in cata, and now with the fel imp and green fire it's even better. Idk maybe I'd just like a little bit of extra coolness, maybe like fel imp with a supercharged aura, idk. Or if they added an opportunity per type if pet for you to take control of (tame or the warlock equivalent if you will) "legendary" or unique versions of the pets. Like for the infernal if you could replace him with supremus from Black Temple.

Still wouldn't summon the Infernal.  His damage is flat out embarrassing.  Reduce damage from summon and buff the shit out of his Immo Aura damage, plz.  Having 98% of his damage tied into "Infernal Awakening" is bogus.  I also wish the Doomguard was worth a lick. 

Still wouldn't summon the Infernal.  His damage is flat out embarrassing.  Reduce damage from summon and buff the shit out of his Immo Aura damage, plz.  Having 98% of his damage tied into "Infernal Awakening" is bogus.  I also wish the Doomguard was worth a lick. 

Spoilers:  I use infernal sometimes on Durumu walls cuz I'm a QT pie.

Does MF affect Infernal Awakening?  If you could hit each part of the wall for ~250k, that'd be sick.

And those are things they could implement via legendary demon quest lines!

We got Green Fire.  They already said they're not planning any more class quests.  If they do, we're at the back of the line.

Interesting.  I always frontload my Doomguard there.  In essence, I'd consider the Infernal 'padding' in the purest sense and the Doomguard being the most effective damage.  The walls go down so easily now that sniping damage on them is a good way to rank.  AKA the way I'm doing it next week :D

You and your 10 man raids.  I like to save it for the 2nd or 3rd walls when it will actually make an impact due to many CD's already being used up by most of the raid.