FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
crumbler81

Ret Beginner Looking to Improve

Hey guys,

I'm looking for help improving my DPS so I can join my guild in progressing through Heroic Nighthold. I looked at my warcraftlogs for last night's fight against Star Augur and I showed improvement from previous raids, but still very low on the percentile meter. This is my first experience as a melee DPS in raids, and my first Star Augur fight so that may be some of the causes of my low DPS. 

I have been improving my gear over the last few weeks, and I'm at the point now that I think I need to work on my skill more than anything. I currently use TMW to help with my rotation, and I plan on running some sims to see if Zeal or Fires of Justice are better talents for me. I'm thinking maybe I just need to practice my rotation until it becomes like muscle memory, but any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated!

Warcraftlogs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/17474265/latest#boss=1863

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Hamars/simple

At a glance, your mastery is way too high.  Part of it is that mastery stat stick you have.  Ditch it and get...anything else.  I feel bad about how much mastery I have and mine is only 25%.  Higher item level gear that's poorly itemized will skew your results and make you feel worse than you really should.  If you look at top parsing people they generally have 2 good dps legendaries (lots of cloaks, belts, rings and shoulders at the top) and their gear doesn't have a lot of mastery.  Faulty Countermeasure from VoW is still a (almost) must have for ret and easier to farm than trinkets from nighthold.  Also, I can't see your relics but the one that increases duration of avenging wrath/crusade is the best and worth an ilvl downgrade in most cases.  The paladin discord (Hammer of Wrath) has lots of information about gear, trinkets, rotation and relics and has been my go-to for some time.