FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Drtain

Night Hold - Deathly DPS

I spent half the time of this guide trying to make a spicy name, couldn't think of a better one :(.

None of this Guide will cover The first boss Skorpyron, as the boss is super faceroll and a majority of how well you will do dps wise is up to how bad your raid does mechanics, and not reliant on player skill.

Unholy (frost below)

Talents: For all the fights Unholy uses the same talent set up regardless of legendaries, gear, ST, AOE, etc. Bursting Sores, Pestilent Pustules, Clawing Shadows, Sludge Belcher, (preference based), Infected Claws, Soul reaper.

ConsumablesMastery Food is the go to currently, though depending on stat weights maybe others could be better for you, suggest simming. Prolonged power is the best currently no real debate here.

Excess:  Regardless of what this guide says, always use Army of the Dead with lust, and potion. There may be subjective things that could be different based on your current gear, such as mastery % can change a couple of these things, but for the most part this guide will be applicable to everyone in almost all cases.

• Chromatic Anomaly: This fight is rather straight forward. The main way to increase your damage on this fight is after you kill the big add, D&D the little adds and then spam Clawing shadow regardless of wounds, or dots, ideally you wanna have 3 or more wounds on the boss before the lil adds spawn so then you can get your soul reaper off without delaying it.
  • Mythic: No new ways to increase dps.

• Trilliax: Very straight forward fight nothing much you can really do, though worth mentioning if you are slowed because of cake debuff and you need to move fast using wraith walk ignores the slow and makes you speedzors. Also boots are a pretty good legendary on this fight, though if you have double damage ones probably just use those. But if it's legendary cloak vs boots i would use boots.
  • Mythic: In mythic there is an add that comes out D&D on this though don't ignore wounds for it, not really worthwhile.

• Spellblade Aluriel: For the first frost phase dark transformation lines up pretty well with it so use that off CD, for frost phases don't instantly D*D you should wait until the add starts to push you back, because during that it takes extra damage so you can get more damage out of a D&D by delaying it slightly because your pet will aoe put out wounds before hand, then D&D pop them all and the aoe cleave from all the wounds will be increased on the empowered add. Other than that just D&D every set of adds when possible.
  • Mythic: Nothing really noteworthy to mention, other than save AMS for the felslash in arcane phase, and to grip the fire adds in/away so you can not have them enrage.

• Tichondrius: 2 Small tips to increase your dps on this one, first being that if you put outbreak on the boss before the bloods spawn as soon as the blood spawn it'll apply the dots which helps, having wounds before the bloods spawn too is also helpful because with bursting sores you can hit the bloods with the bursts and get small increase of damage. Secondly AMS can be very useful during the phase when you need to go behind a pillar, if you Icebound and AMS you can normally live the aoe damage that is out put without stressing out your healers. In mythic you may want to avoid this though. With that said the pillars you "should" hide behind do not cause LoS so you can still used ranged abilities while because the pillar.
  • Mythic: Nothing really new here, --don't stand in the aoe during pillars it hurts--, Putting virulent plague on the boss 2 seconds before blood spawn (everytime they spawn) helps the ranged by killing the bloods faster and increases your dps, in heroic it's not really worthwhile because they die super super fast but in mythic it is probably worthwhile.

• Krosus: Straight forward fight really nothing to be said for dps increases. When the bridges break away, if you aren't going to make it bit a sliver you can jump and you can sometimes make it.
  • Mythic: Nothing note worthy for dps increases. During the last part of the bridge all the spots that need to be soaked become very clumped AMS and you can soak a lot of them.

• High Botanist Tel'arn: During the parts where he splits up you should try and D&D as many times as possible unless the boss will split into the 3rd one withing 10-15 seconds, then delay casting it, as well as maintain dots. During your D&Ds spam clawing shadows and ignore wounds when 3 of them are out, when only 2 are out wounds should be taken into consideration.
  • Mythic: This fight is primarily ST and aoe doesn't really matter, with that said our aoe can sometimes increase your ST. After/during dark transformation, you will get free wounds on the other targets you should D&D and pop the wounds as it will give you runic corruption, bursting sores, and pestilent pustules, which is a ST increase.

• Star Augur Etraeus: Rather straight forward. AMS can be used to stop the fear from the add. The slow debuff in the first phase can be used with wraithwalk to ignore the speed reduction, so you can move out later than most others.
  • Mythic: No EXP.

• Grand Magistrix Elisande: For this fight you mainly gotta just constantly getting those speed ups, while it's obvious it is a huge increase (unless you have a mechanic where you can't). Place D&D anyone there is adds, on the 3 sets of targets spam SS and ignore wounds, (don't ignore CDS). If you have to get the slow debuff for the dot or bomb, wraith walk will help with the speed reduction. If you are ever in a awkward position with the circles coming in AMS and run through them, it's absorb just about all of it. If your debuff for the speed increase is about to fall off, and the speed bubble is going to run out relatively soon, you can jump in the slow bubble which will override the speed, then jump into the speed again and regain a full buff.

• Gul'dan: Not a lot of tips for this one.  When using your action button make sure it isn't going to get cut short by fire damage, this one is pretty impactful. AMS earl and often, get as many ams off as you can since it's a long fight healer mana can be low sometimes so help them out. During eye balls is when you wanna be D&Ding, during the early eyes once they come out try and find a spot to place D&D that will offer you the most targets being hit by it, so you can clawing shadow as many as possible, as before spam clawing shadow regardless of wounds it'll yield a larger dps increase, though having wounds on the boss prior to eyes is ideal.

FROST

Talents: To my knowledge all fights, are the classic cookie cutter BoS spec, though I suggest freezing fog over Horn of winter.

Consumables: Haste or crit Food is the go to currently, though depending on stat weights maybe others could be better for you, suggest simming. Prolonged power is the best currently no real debate here.

Excess:  Nothing much to say here other than always pop second potion during lust. NOTE WORTHY: Frozen Soul is a trait that is very impactful in high end frost play, while it seems small it can yield large increases, the idea is to hit as many targets as possible with it so that the explosion does increased damage, I'm not going to mention it in every fight, but should be something to take note of.

• Chromatic Anomaly: This fight is rather straight forward. The main way to increase your damage on this fight is after you kill the big add, popping dragon to kill the small adds is optimal. Also rime procs become very important when there is cleave. (they are already extremely important but even more so)
  • Mythic: No new ways to increase dps.

• Trilliax: Very straight forward fight nothing much you can really do, though worth mentioning if you are slowed because of cake debuff and you need to move fast using wraith walk ignores the slow and makes you speedzors. Also boots are a pretty good legendary on this fight, though if you have double damage ones probably just use those. But if it's legendary cloak vs boots i would use boots.
  • Mythic: In mythic there is an add that comes out I would advise against saving dragon for this because the add spawns so late itno the fight you could probably get 2 dragons off which would probably yield a better increase or same.

• Spellblade Aluriel: For the first frost phase after the first frost add enrages is the suggested dragon time. Rime procs very important also. Your RL may have you dragoning another set of adds though if he finds those are more troublesome. It should also me mentioned that if you have the legs for dragon you can Dragon the first set, and second set of frost adds. Depending sometimes you may be able to get it off on arcane set of adds, if you can get it off on arcanes i would advise that increase since there is more targets, this only applies to legendary pants users.
  • Mythic: Nothing really noteworthy to mention, other than save AMS for the felslash in arcane phase, and to grip the fire adds in/away so you can not have them enrage.

• Tichondrius: If you know bloods will spawn with a second or two, it'd be worth saving a rime proc to hit right as they spawn. Secondly AMS can be very useful during the phase when you need to go behind a pillar, if you Icebound and AMS you can normally live the aoe damage that is out put without stressing out your healers. In mythic you may want to avoid this though. With that said the pillars you "should" hide behind do not cause LoS so you can still used ranged abilities while because the pillar. Third I would advise saving dragon until after the first bat phase, and use them when the adds spawn in range with bloods, if you turn around and position correctly you can hit the boss, all 3 bloods and the 2 sentinels. If you have legendary pants I would use the first on pull then do the hitting the adds with the second dragon.
  • Mythic: Nothing special here, note that you cannot stand out during the pillar phase with ams+icebound it'll kill you x.x. If you have the legendary pants instantly dragon on pull (like legit instantly) it'll then come up during the bat phase right towards the end and you can kill the bats. While I dislike "useless" padding i have to suggest in mythic that you dragon the bats because it'll help make the chance of someone not getting a debuff less likely, suggest doing it in the last 3-5 seconds of the phase when more adds are out.

• Krosus: Straight forward fight really nothing to be said for dps increases. When the bridges break away, if you aren't going to make it bit a sliver you can jump and you can sometimes make it.
  • Mythic: Nothing note worthy for dps increases. During the last part of the bridge all the spots that need to be soaked become very clumped AMS and you can soak a lot of them.

• High Botanist Tel'arn: During the phase when he splits into 3, you should try and dragon right ass the balls spawn, if you angle it correctly you can hit all 3 bosses, and 2 of the orbs. With pants Use on the first parasites, and hit the boss at the same time.
  • Mythic: Nothing Noteable just remember this fight is ST not aoe.

• Star Augur Etraeus: Rather straight forward. AMS can be used to stop the fear from the add. The slow debuff in the first phase can be used with wraithwalk to ignore the speed reduction, so you can move out later than most others. Not really too sure when optimal dragon timing is, I would assume once the add comes out. If you have pants use it on pull then on add+boss.

• Grand Magistrix Elisande: For this fight you mainly gotta just constantly getting those speed ups, while it's obvious it is a huge increase (unless you have a mechanic where you can't). Dragon the first set of 3, and you should be able to do that same thing midish way through the fight. Wraith walk will help with the speed reduction. If you are ever in a awkward position with the circles coming in AMS and run through them, it's absorb just about all of it. If your debuff for the speed increase is about to fall off, and the speed bubble is going to run out relatively soon, you can jump in the slow bubble which will override the speed, then jump into the speed again and regain a full buff.

• Gul'dan: Not a lot of tips for this one.  When using your action button make sure it isn't going to get cut short by fire damage, this one is pretty impactful. AMS earl and often, get as many ams off as you can since it's a long fight healer mana can be low sometimes so help them out. During eye balls is when you wanna be dragon, you can hit almost all of the eyes + the boss + the extra add that is there in heroic. Then save it if it comes up again for later in the last phase when empower eye is out and hit both eye+boss. If you have pants I suggest using it right away when the 3 adds are out and Guldan is immune, it'll be up for 1 set of un-empowered eyes (or should be up). Then use it right off CD or wait until an empower eye comes out depending if you will be able ot get off a 4th or not.

CREDIT: Demonardvark for Elisande trick.

Will be updated as I kill all the bosses. (last updated 2/21/2017)

If you have anything to add to this mentioning it in the comments and I will put it in the guide and give you credit for it.

• Like 3

i spent like 20 mins writing up a part for skorpyron then saw your note at the top of the page. I am saddened at my wasted time XD

however there is a trick for elisande but its for anyone period not just DKS. if your haste buff is about to expire and both bubbles are up, jump into the slow blue bubble, it will override your buff with the debuff, then jump immediately back into the pink and get a fresh haste buff. this makes it possible to have 50-55 seconds out of one bubble instead of just 30. with everyone in the group doing this, it makes the fight very easy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drtain said:

@demonardvark you know, I thought about that my self and did it once, but i completely forgot about past the first week of NH lol. I'll add it if you don't mind.

7bBZ3vg.gif

the gif may be a little over dramatic but I haven't had a reason to use it in awhile. put it in good sir, why i wrote it down :D will contribute any other goodies I can find/hear about

So i have more to contribute. The boss in question is Tichondrius and the tip is for both frost and unholy. So, every now and again he casts  Echoes of the Void Icon Echoes of the Void which summons four pillars that you need to run behind in order to not get blasted by ouchies . While behind the pillars you just stand there and wait for the attack to be over right? Nope, you can actually still hit him. So for unholy it doesn't matter while behind the pillar you can still use clawing shadows to smack him as well as apply diseases. Frost is a bit different, you have to be behind the right front pillar it is ever so slightly closer to him. So if boss is 12 noon on a clock, you want to go behind the 2 o clock pillar. Behind this one you are able to use howling blast, but (with upgraded weapon) frost strike is able to reach him as well. So while most melee are kinda screwed during  Echoes of the Void Icon Echoes of the Void  you can use that time to keep attacking the boss and keep your dps up. 

That was mentioned in the AMS/Icebound, ams should be up for every cast, and icebound is absolutely needed for it. With that said I mean I can add it. That was something that I knew about but i just didn't really find it to relative because i've always just amsed and stayed out.

Oh I forgot to clarify (not that I necessarily think it will change things, but figured I should mention) I'm not using BoS, I'm using THIS build, still crit/mast food?

Thanks for putting this together @Drtain. You mention that Prolonged Power is overall better than Old War, but the current overview guide for the class has Old War set as the consumable (https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/unholy-death-knight-pve-dps-gems-enchants-consumables). Is there a dps comparison somewhere on how much of a difference Prolonged Power gets over Old War? Happy to switch to Prolonged Power once I understand the methodology used to come to that conclusion, love learning new things.

Edited by Sell

Prolonged power is better in a lot of situations for a lot of reasons. Offers HP (roughly 200k), lasts throughout army of the dead increasing it's damage, obviously offering lots of strength, and is better in any aoe situation. You won't really find any practical numbers on it outside of sims but the easiest way to say it is that oldwar requires perfect play, you can't waste a single global, it's also RNG on crits etc. Have you ever looked at logs with oldwar and seen that one unholy dks old war did 4 million while another did 1.5 million, that's because of more than just rng or skill. On top of that if you look at any top ranking logs for unholy they all use prolonged power. With all of this said Oldwar in some cases could do 0.1% more damage than a prolonged power would have, but it not only relies on perfect play with it, but also needs RNG to compete, and in ANY aoe prolonged power instantly is stronger by miles which is every fight this xpac except augur and arguably krosus.

@Sell

Hi. I don't know if you still update this because the new Raid is coming out soonish? but there is something else you can do for Elisande. Especially if you are new to that fight (or the specc) it seems nearly impossible to play this one with BOS so anything might help I guess?

In the first Phase when she teleports away to summon the Rings, you should have your first BOS still up and if you are using the Ring you could keep it up way longer. So instead of hugging the blue ball you can Wraithwalk to her immediately and continiue hitting her and when the orbs are about to hit you just AMS. You will get nearly no damage, get RP by absorbing with AMS and most important you don't lose any damage at all during your precious BOS-Time. Important though is that you have your Runic Power at nearly 100 when she teleports so you don't drop it on the way. You might need some tries to get used to it but it works perfectly.

Hope I could help someone with that =)

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 5:08 AM, NeoCG said:

Hi. I don't know if you still update this because the new Raid is coming out soonish? but there is something else you can do for Elisande. Especially if you are new to that fight (or the specc) it seems nearly impossible to play this one with BOS so anything might help I guess?

In the first Phase when she teleports away to summon the Rings, you should have your first BOS still up and if you are using the Ring you could keep it up way longer. So instead of hugging the blue ball you can Wraithwalk to her immediately and continiue hitting her and when the orbs are about to hit you just AMS. You will get nearly no damage, get RP by absorbing with AMS and most important you don't lose any damage at all during your precious BOS-Time. Important though is that you have your Runic Power at nearly 100 when she teleports so you don't drop it on the way. You might need some tries to get used to it but it works perfectly.

Hope I could help someone with that =)

Actually a good tip, I do recommend we add it in. AMS soaking isn't pushed as much as it was in HFC BOS but in this case it not only fuels BOS in a agreed on upon BOS hard fight but it also mitigates one of her more punishing abilities. 

@NeoCG Sorry, i've been pretty lacking on the forums lately and relatively lacking in wow lately. Just use breath as soon as you logically can, then run up to elisande as she teleports AMS before the rings touch you. You're immune to the rings during AMS.

• Like 1