Unholy Death Knight DPS Gems, Enchants, and Consumables — Dragonflight 10.0.7
On this page, we list the best gems, enchants, flasks, potions, and food you can get for your Unholy Death Knight, based on your stat priority. We also give budget alternatives. This page is updated for World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.0.7.
Primordial Stone Gems
Patch 10.0.7 introduces a new set of gems called Primordial Stone Gems. These can be slotted into Primordial Sockets in the Onyx Annulet ring. A total of three gems can be allocated here. Unfortunately, due to the lack of secondary stats, equipping the new ring with Primordial Stone Gems will be a downgrade compared to any (415+) ring.
We do not recommend using this new ring at all.
For more information regarding the Onyx Annulet, the Primordial Gemstones, and how to obtain them, check out our dedicated guide for it below.
Best Gems for Unholy Death Knights
You should use Fractured Neltharite in all sockets, though many of the cheaper variants with Mastery as one of their two stats may also be viable. Be sure to simulate your character!
Best Enchants for Unholy Death Knights
|Weapon||Rune of the Fallen Crusader|
For your Ring enchant Enchant Ring - Tenet of Mastery is the most commonly used and will usually be your best choice. It is still recommended that you sim your character to see which enchant is the best for your gear.
Consumables for Unholy Death Knights
Best Flasks, Oils, Potions for Unholy
Flasks and potions come in ranks 1 to 3 in Dragonflight, increasing in power with increasing ranks. Please find an explanation of the ranks below:
Profession Consumable Ranks
As part of Dragonflight's overhaul of Professions, many crafted items and consumables may have multiple ranks of quality that impact their effects. For consumables, there are potentially three ranks of an item that may be used, with Rank 3 items (shown as item level 415 in-game and with three gold stars) providing the most powerful bonuses. However, higher quality consumables will generally be more expensive and not always necessary depending on the content you are doing. You should be willing to use whatever rank of an item is most within your budget, and save higher-quality consumables for content where you will really need the extra boost!
If you would like to learn more about quality ranks on profession items, or the overhaul to professions as a whole, please see our overview below.
Phial of Elemental Chaos should be used for Raids and Mythic+ encounters.
Howling Rune should be placed on your weapon to provide passive stats.
- Elemental Potion of Ultimate Power should be used for both single-target and AoE scenarios.
Warlock Healthstones and Refreshing Healing Potion should be used when at low health. Potion of Withering Vitality can be used as a stronger emergency alternative, healing more instantly but suffering the same amount of damage over 15 seconds. Also, make sure to have Delicate Suspension of Spores and Residual Neural Channeling Agent for when you potentially die.
Best Food for Unholy
Use Fated Fortune Cookie is your Haste food buff of choice.
Best Gems for Unholy
We want to equip one Epic Quality gem as our first priority, and then follow up with Haste and Mastery gems everywhere else. This means picking up one Fierce Illimited Diamond and then putting Keen Ysemerald everywhere else!
Augment Runes for Unholy
In addition, if you can afford it, you should use Draconic Augment Runes to increase your primary stat. Since there is a finite amount of the consumable runes available, you should make sure to use them wisely and to stock up on them for when you need them.
For a more detailed breakdown of Unholy Death Knight stats and how gems, enchants, and consumables interact with your stats, and please check out our dedicated stat page linked below.
Tome for Unholy
With Dragonflight, you no longer need to use a Tome to change your talents. As long as you are outside of combat and not in an active Mythic+ run, you can change your talents at no cost!
Death Knight Runeforges for Unholy
- Rune of the Fallen Crusader: the staple Runeforge for Unholy Death Knights, you will always see this Runeforge used in both Mythic+ and Raid content.
- Rune of Hysteria: a new Runeforge in Shadowlands that does not provide as much damage as Rune of the Fallen Crusader.
- Rune of Razorice: this Runeforge has more of a place with Frost Death Knights since Unholy does no frost damage.
- Rune of Sanguination: Provides a small execute effect for Death Strike and a small cheat death mechanic. This Runeforge has more of a place in PvP as opposed to PvE content and is a viable Runeforge for Torghast.
- Rune of Spellwarding: Provides small defense towards casters making it more geared towards PvP situations.
- Rune of the Apocalypse: Currently very weak compared to other options especially Rune of the Fallen Crusader.
- Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle: this Runeforge is a defensive option that does not see play for Unholy.
- Rune of Unending Thirst: Commonly used for leveling since it provides movement speed, Haste, and heals when you kill an enemy.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Added Primordial Stone Gems recommenation.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
More Death Knight Guides
Guides from Other Classes
- Mythic+ Dungeon Timers in Dragonflight Season 2
- A Preview of the Mage Crucible Raid Tier Set in Patch 10.1
- World of Warcraft Patch 10.10 Notes
- 11.0 Patch Notes, R/WoW Changing to FF14 and More: Reddit April Fools
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes, March 31st
- Dragonflight April Trading Post Items and Activities
- The Story of a Test Creature That Showed Up on Live Servers
- How to Buy More Onyx Annulets in Patch 10.0.7