FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sanguinarius

Elemental M+ aftershock

Hello. I mainly run M+, and as such im running with a lightning rod liquid magma setup. I was going through my logs and realised on most runs, Earthquake makes up up to 40% of my damage. In this situation, would it be worth considering Aftershock? i know Ancestral Swiftness provides haste which already boosts Earthquake a lot, but Aftershock would allow for 30% more earthquakes, which translates to a lot more earthquake damage than the 6% Ancestral swiftness provides. Thoughts on this?

I would say it's not worth it as most often you're probably over capping your maelstrom anyway any time you're using chain lightening in encounters where you benefit from using earthquake over earth shock. Plus, a faster chain lightening is going to generate more maelstrom in the long run when a single one can take you from 0-100, and in higher M+ you're probably gunna want a bit more boss damage anyway.

Coming back after some test runs on +12+13ish last week with Fortified, can kinda verify what Monarch said. I didn't notice any major increase in earthquakes, because with enough mastery (im sitting at 83% myself), the aoe "rotation" is kinda like this: You either have 0 maelstrom, so you have to CL, or you have almost full maelstrom, because of the -most probably overloaded- CL you just casted. The only difference was sometimes when I was at 90ish maelstrom, i could cast 2 EQs before having to CL again, whereas without Aftershock id be sitting in the awkward 45 maelstrom.
Definitely not worth giving up the 6% haste from AS, could absolutely feel it, my character was a lot more sluggish, and the better optimised your character is, the more you will feel it, since Haste is a very bad stat for us. On my character for example, i have 12% haste without AS and 18% with it, so i just passed a 50% increase in haste for that seldom extra earthquake. Not worth, scrap that idea.

ok well what about aftershock + earth shock and icefury?  this is mainly giving you much more flexibility on your maelstrom.  Earth shock is our largest hitting ability (920% sp) icefury is after that at 900% sp.  lava burst does 275% sp.  1 earth shock at 100 maelstrom does the same as 3.3 lava bursts. Even when our mastery procs with lava burst it does roughly 50% of earth shocks max damage.  A 30 maelstrom earth shock does the same amount of damage as lava burst.  earthshock also helps with movement when coupled with after shock because you can hit it twice while still not really hurting your dps (first hit = 920%, 2nd hit= 276%(30% of 920)).  Lets not forget that after shock works with flame and frost shocks as well. thats a lot of recovered maelstrom.  Honest question:  Is 6% haste really better than getting to hit your largest spell much more often and slightly better mobile damage??  the fact that you always have maelstrom is a huge asset to keeping up full length flame shocks and not having to pool maelstrom especially for icefury.  as of right now I'm still leaning towards aftershock.  your thoughts. 

Edited by Hindrigan