FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Trabi

The "thin" version of the site is hard to use

When the browser window is "thinner" than the site, it goes into some alternative mode. Can that mode please be more like the standard one? It's really difficult to browse any warcraft guides in it.

On 2/17/2017 at 6:09 PM, Trabi said:

When the browser window is "thinner" than the site, it goes into some alternative mode. Can that mode please be more like the standard one? It's really difficult to browse any warcraft guides in it.

I'll pass this feedback on, but could you show me a screenshot of what you mean? It makes it easier to fix! 

When your browser window's width is low enough, the site switches to the mobile layout, basically.

I don't pretend to know how easy or difficult it would be to change this, but I think ideally people would want the desktop layout no matter what when on desktop, and only give mobile layout for actual mobile users (via user agent, perhaps?)

Android screenshot, but you end up with that layout on desktop (this is when I used the "Request desktop site" option in Firefox, otherwise on mobile everything is larger (or smaller, depending on your PoV)

8EjTp5J.png

While I think the mobile layout is pretty convenient for touch screen, I suppose it's not as good for desktop users. I frequently browse the internet with my browser on only one half of the screen so I'm pretty familiar with what OP is talking about. :p

Edited by Ammako

When it's in its 'thin mode' on the main page you lose out on the recent forum activity section too which is a bummer because I browse with chrome snapped to the side.

Screenshot (2).png

I see what you mean, the site changes into different formats where the menus are hidden etc. How small are you browsing in order to have the menu completely disappear?

For me personally, it changes to that mobile display once the page reaches 1052px wide, but it's possible that this number changes depending on screen resolutions. I tried a bunch of different screen resolutions but it seems to happen at that point. On screens smaller in width (or at least it did on 800x600 resolution :p) the site is in mobile mode by default.

This is a few pixels smaller than the website's main "column."

Oh yeah, I was able to reproduce what Sawzorthn has shown, too. I found out there is a "Force desktop version" button at the very bottom of the page which apparently works to get you out of this mobile view on desktop browsers, however as was pointed out above, everything on the right side disappears except Changelog.

This is especially bad on class guides (and possibly other pages), because the table of contents itself disappears entirely as well. At least (in the case of class guides) you can still access the different pages of the guide, since there is a "Contents" section at the bottom of the page with links to every page anyway, but people are likely more used to browsing from the right (and the table of contents on the right expands to give you more links to page anchors too which is useful, those aren't present anywhere else.)

At anything higher than 1052px width everything seems fine. I can see forcing mobile view on lower resolutions being an intentional thing, but I'd assume page elements going missing entirely on desktop view may not be.

Edited by Ammako

On 2/21/2017 at 1:58 PM, Ammako said:

At anything higher than 1052px width everything seems fine. I can see forcing mobile view on lower resolutions being an intentional thing, but I'd assume page elements going missing entirely on desktop view may not be.

Yeah, that's not intentional. Are you still having this issue? I'm trying to replicate it, but I'm still able to view the table of contents in a WoW class guide. I think our team fiddled with it slightly, so it might be fixed :)

It still behaves the same way as I've described. Is it possible that the behavior could differ depending on browser? (maybe also OS?)

Firefox here still, although IE shows the same thing.

Edited by Ammako