FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Bekon

my dps as affliction seems low, any tips?

I've only recently accuired my meta gem and once i did i decided to switch from destro to affliction as i do not have a uvls yet.

this is the second week that i'm raiding as affliction and i feel that my damage seems a bit lower for my gear level.

Any tips on what i could do better to improve

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-d9n8t77v6h4z0j36/details/3/

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/windrunner/Scoriio/advanced

Jinrokh - Haunt uptime is low.  22 Shadow Trance procs but only 15 Haunt casts.  Either you're capped on Shards or you're incorrectly using them for SB:SS.  This is a critical Affliction mistake.  This must be corrected ASAP.  Don't use Cha-Ye's if you have a different trinket.  Breath is good, but Cha-Ye's not so much for Affliction.  Get Wush or even the 522 Volatile Talisman.

Horridon - 11 Haunts cast for a measly 24% uptime.  You have adds everywhere to refuel on Shards.  This is inexcusable.  37 Shadow Trances, as well!  What are you doing with your shards?

I'm not going to analyze any more logs, because I see a consistent pattern in critical playstyle mistakes.  You're not using Affliction's signature move, Haunt, and it is a HUGE component of your DPS.  10 Haunts on Council, 5 on Tortos.  F-I-V-E?  You should be using 2 within the first 20 seconds!  Your damage is VERY low for what you should be able to do.  Your DoT uptimes are good.  Trinket choice with Cha-Ye's is meh, but that pales in comparison to your playstyle mistakes.  Drain Soul gives you 4 Shards when you kill something with Drain Soul on it.  For Horridon, you should be FLOODED in Soul Shards.  You're using them all in SB:SS...what are you doing, SB:SS on small adds that take 2 globals to kill anyways?  Run Haunt on Horridon and your important kill targets.  There are never more than 2 alive at any point, 3 if you count the Dinomancer.  Run empowered DoTs on priority targets, not shitty DoTs on everything.  Remember, Corruption hits for crap and Agony has to ramp up for damage.  Stick to your main targets for VAST improvement.

Thanks for the tips Zagam.

You said that i should run the dots on the main targets.

For Council, should i apply SB:SS on all the 4 bosses or should i only do so when my dots are buffed with procs and just apply the other dots manually to the other targets?

Do you ever use SS by itself without the SB to copy the dots over to a new target?

Council is a unique situation and should be the exception, not the rule.  You don't want to burn your shards to keep DoTs rolling.  To truly min/max, just make sure Agony never falls off, apply UA constantly, and keep Corruption up as a third priority.  You want to roll Haunt and MG on your current kill target rather than doing damage to everything.  There is a huge difference in doing damage that matters and doing damage that doesn't matter and doing damage that hurts your group.  Prioritizing keeping DoTs on something else when a tight DPS race is in place, such as Council progression, will be detrimental to your group.  Not even going to mention the benefits of multi-dotting because they're going away.  Nightfall can only proc from one Corruption, so multi-dotting no longer provides single target damage buffs (until you get set bonuses in T16, but that's drifting to another point). 

Your main focus should be to maximize Haunt uptime.  That's the major flaw in your play.  Correct that and we can make smaller, better adjustments later.  No point fixing a broken down car when you won't put gas in it.  Catch my drift?

Sorry to jump in here, but where do you find number of Shadow Trance procs in the log?