FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ladhy

Multi Dotting help needed

Hello everyone,
I just got back to the game a couple months ago and I was doing just good as destruction but decided to switch to affliction because I find it more fun and versatile.
Yesterday my guild started working on heroic Primordius and I got on adds duty and I was pretty excited about it but couldn't do better than mediocre multi dotting. I've been over the logs many times this morning and can't really understand what I am doing wrong, so any advice would be welcome.
I know I don't have meta yet and am undergeared compared to the other lock but this difference can't just be on gear.

Armory link: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/eonar/Ladhy/advanced
Wordoflogs: worldoflogs.com/reports/wgvrhm4an1eehet3/

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

However you formatted your question, don't do that again.  I'm modifying it to make it readable.

Well, it looks like you switched Affliction half way through your attempts.  Were you using Mannoroth's Fury and laying down quite a few Rain of Fire's as Destruction?

I use Affliction personally, and I spend a lot of time SB:SS'ing all the oozes and recharging my shards with Drain Soul.  You had quite a bit of trouble running into pools and grabbing debuffs.  Your last attempt was pretty solid for grabbing buffs, perhaps you started to get the hang of it.  I think your biggest problem was not spamming SB:SS hard enough.  Run around faster and get your DoT's off while looking for low health oozes to cast Drain Soul on.  You have an attempt where 3 minutes into the fight you aren't fully mutated.  You have to make sure you're grabbing buffs.

When your UVoLS procs try to get at least 3 SB:SS's off.  I'm also noticing that you aren't using Haunt much at all.  I tend to use it when there are no low hp oozes around and I'm swimming in shards.  Throw a few Haunts off on your DoT'd oozes and move on.  The biggest thing to work on is to ALWAYS be looking for something to give AIDS to.  If you aren't giving them that, then make sure you're at least channeling MF or DS.  Your damage should be at least 40k higher if you're grabbing your buffs and running around DoT'ing correctly.

You're missing the sense of multi-dotting in that you're not multi-dotting everything.  When multi-dotting the slimes, Affliction has two choices...spam the crap out of UA or have the boss kited in a method where SoC and Corruption can take its toll.  Agony takes too long to ramp up and Corruption isn't worth a single global to apply.  If you can get Corr applied via SB:SoC, then it's good, otherwise, multi-dotting sucks in 5.3 because the damage is tied into MG and DS (this changes in 5.4).  For H Primordius, go Manno's Fury and play Destruction.  Rain of Fire + Fire and Brimstone will FAR out damage your abilities as Affliction.

You're missing the sense of multi-dotting in that you're not multi-dotting everything.  When multi-dotting the slimes, Affliction has two choices...spam the crap out of UA or have the boss kited in a method where SoC and Corruption can take its toll.  Agony takes too long to ramp up and Corruption isn't worth a single global to apply.  If you can get Corr applied via SB:SoC, then it's good, otherwise, multi-dotting sucks in 5.3 because the damage is tied into MG and DS (this changes in 5.4).  For H Primordius, go Manno's Fury and play Destruction.  Rain of Fire + Fire and Brimstone will FAR out damage your abilities as Affliction.

Have to disagree about spamming UA and Agony not ramping.  It depends on your strat.  We walk the boss back and forth in a moon shape, where part of the room the boss never touches.  So we know which oozes we have time to get decent DoT durations off on.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-gi24f0can7jnb8sf/sum/damageDone/?s=8859&e=9305

Keep in mind my entire job is to create red pools for our melee and ranged who are focused on the boss himself.  If an ooze is getting close(ish) to the boss and I have time to burn it down before it gets into melee range I'll Haunt and MF it into oblivion rather than losing the pool and letting the boss eat another buff. 

Edited by Omaric

Well, it looks like you switched Affliction half way through your attempts.  Were you using Mannoroth's Fury and laying down quite a few Rain of Fire's as Destruction?

I use Affliction personally, and I spend a lot of time SB:SS'ing all the oozes and recharging my shards with Drain Soul.  You had quite a bit of trouble running into pools and grabbing debuffs.  Your last attempt was pretty solid for grabbing buffs, perhaps you started to get the hang of it.  I think your biggest problem was not spamming SB:SS hard enough.  Run around faster and get your DoT's off while looking for low health oozes to cast Drain Soul on.  You have an attempt where 3 minutes into the fight you aren't fully mutated.  You have to make sure you're grabbing buffs.

When your UVoLS procs try to get at least 3 SB:SS's off.  I'm also noticing that you aren't using Haunt much at all.  I tend to use it when there are no low hp oozes around and I'm swimming in shards.  Throw a few Haunts off on your DoT'd oozes and move on.  The biggest thing to work on is to ALWAYS be looking for something to give AIDS to.  If you aren't giving them that, then make sure you're at least channeling MF or DS.  Your damage should be at least 40k higher if you're grabbing your buffs and running around DoT'ing correctly.

Thanks for your feedback, I was destruction at the start as you could see while I was on boss/big adds duty, but I switched to afflfiction halfway the attempts.

The thing about SB:SS on the adds is that I never seens to have enough shards, perhaps I am failling on rebuilding them with DS, I'll try to focus more on this tho. I kinda have some difficult finding almost dead adds to get shards back, but I think that's on me to work on.

As far as not using Haunt at all, you are right but I just don't find usefull to waste shards on it since I have adds to SB:SS, perhaps the whole thing is happening because I am lacking on shards.

Thanks for your feedback, I was destruction at the start as you could see while I was on boss/big adds duty, but I switched to afflfiction halfway the attempts.

The thing about SB:SS on the adds is that I never seens to have enough shards, perhaps I am failling on rebuilding them with DS, I'll try to focus more on this tho. I kinda have some difficult finding almost dead adds to get shards back, but I think that's on me to work on.

As far as not using Haunt at all, you are right but I just don't find usefull to waste shards on it since I have adds to SB:SS, perhaps the whole thing is happening because I am lacking on shards.

Either that or your haste isn't up to par, making it difficult to get those extra Corruption Soul Shard procs, which is changing next patch anyway so that only your most recent Corruption will proc Nightfall.

Either that or your haste isn't up to par, making it difficult to get those extra Corruption Soul Shard procs, which is changing next patch anyway so that only your most recent Corruption will proc Nightfall.

Yes, my haste could be better, I didn't reach 9778 breakpoint yet anyways..

Yes, my haste could be better, I didn't reach 9778 breakpoint yet anyways..

I don't know if your group is doing this already, but I'd recommend having people who are fully mutated and have 15-20 seconds left on their buffs to help kill oozes.  The reason is, generally when the first person is losing their buff, so are a lot of other people, which means you've got a lot of people now sniping red pools from the small group of people that are killing oozes.  If they help out with 15-20 seconds left on their buff you *should* have plenty of red pools to go around.

Edited by Omaric

OH I TOTALLY FORGOT.  Use GoSac, as your pet is most likely running around being useless for most of this fight.

They benefit in a way.  When your stats increase, their stats increase.  If you were Demo with 5 stacks of mastery, then your pet just got stronger because they scale with your mastery.  That said, when you're on ooze duty and constantly switching targets, pets are not the way to go.

What's your guys preference for tracking which mobs have which dots and their durations?  I know some people use the built in (or I believe it's built in) portion of ElvUI.  A lot of non-warlock friends use Tidyplates.