FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Taalyn

Can someone tell me why I suck so much?

I am 887 and consistently pulling 350k dps overall (so like for the whole mythic +, the whole raid, etc). It goes up and down occasionally but I can't seem to get past this spot and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I use Potions of Prolonged Power, (and I pre-pot), I use flasks, and the highest mastery food available for every raid/mythic. Any insight? I've been frustrated with my DPS for quite a while now and I'm getting to the point where I don't even want to play my hunter anymore, but I know it has to be something I'm doing incorrectly.

Note: I changed my talents today, so those aren't usually the ones I run with. I haven't tested them to see how they differ from what I usually do. 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dragonblight/Taalyn/simple

Hi,

I just had a look at your logs, I don't think you "suck" at all (you did good on Spellblade as example). Can you be a bit more specific? What fight are you disappointed with?

Edited by Boogyness

You don't talent swap to the correct talents; from the logs I found, your talents were wrong for most of your fights. You didn't properly spec into AoE or single target for any fight other than Chronomatic Anomaly. You also don't have 4pc or the Ursoc trinket, which make a huge difference. A lot will come when you get the right gear.

Your kills are exceptionally slow, the longer the kill the lower your dps will end up; for Chronomatic Anomaly, most kills average between 2-3 minutes, on a 6 minute fight your dps looks a lot worse than it could be on a shorter fight. 

It also doesn't seem you're utilising Titan's Thunder to the best of your ability, on some kills you're getting less casts than AMoC casts; they're both 1 minute cooldowns so the casts should be identical.

Do you do your best to follow the rotation outlined on the BM guide? It's not a hard rotation so just do your best to stick to it as best you can.

6 hours ago, Luthixx said:

You don't talent swap to the correct talents; from the logs I found, your talents were wrong for most of your fights. You didn't properly spec into AoE or single target for any fight other than Chronomatic Anomaly. You also don't have 4pc or the Ursoc trinket, which make a huge difference. A lot will come when you get the right gear.

Your kills are exceptionally slow, the longer the kill the lower your dps will end up; for Chronomatic Anomaly, most kills average between 2-3 minutes, on a 6 minute fight your dps looks a lot worse than it could be on a shorter fight. 

It also doesn't seem you're utilising Titan's Thunder to the best of your ability, on some kills you're getting less casts than AMoC casts; they're both 1 minute cooldowns so the casts should be identical.

Do you do your best to follow the rotation outlined on the BM guide? It's not a hard rotation so just do your best to stick to it as best you can.

Where would I find more information about talent swapping? You're right that I haven't been doing it cause I didn't know I was supposed to. It makes sense though!

Do you have suggestions on how to use Titan's Thunder better?  One of my other hunter friends (same spec, similar gear although he does have 4pc and I don't) generates WAY more dps with his than I do with mine. He can't tell me  what he's doing that I'm not though. 

Also how do I look for these logs you're talking about?

11 hours ago, Boogyness said:

Hi,

I just had a look at your logs, I don't think you "suck" at all (you did good on Spellblade as example). Can you be a bit more specific? What fight are you disappointed with?

When I say I "suck" I'm mostly basing it on not being able to out dps other hunters with less gear than myself. Some groups I've been in a hunter will have an ilvl 15 points less than I do (same spec) and be out dpsing me like CRAZY. It's just my opinion, I feel like I should be doing a better job than I am.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/11#difficulty=4&class=Hunter&spec=BeastMastery check out what the top parsing hunters use for each of the kills (though of course, unless you have legendary shoulders don't use One With the Pack).

AMoC and TT are on the same cooldown, so use them both when you have BW up, and always save TT until right after you've just cast Dire Beast (if you have 2pc, the 50% damage bonus also applies to your Dire Beast's damage on TT). 

Also to look for your logs, just go onto the link I mentioned earlier and in the search bar, type your name. The logs I saw were obviously from someone you had raided with who had publicly available logs. If you make a warcraftlogs account and read their instructions for how to combat log, you can do it yourself to compare your progress.

4pc alone is a HUGE dps increase, if you utilise your TT better as well, and time everything as best you can you'll probably get 70k~ dps increase.

Also since you're running the Call of the Wild bracers, you should aim to get Convergence of Fates as your second trinket to really up your Aspect of the Wild uptime. With bracers and trinket you end up being able to use it about as much as you used to before the bracers nerf (which if you're ever wondering, was nerfed so that that trinket wouldn't be far too OP for BM hunters).

If you can, generate your own logs in LFR or in an EN run and I can have a look at them for you and compare them to mine, for reference I generally parse in the 95+ area, sometimes high 80s or low 90s though purely because I need the extra single target dps from the legendary shoulders).