FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nalar

Disillusioned arcane Mage

Hi guys ,

a guildie is getting disillusioned with arcane at the moment in nighthold , I don't have a Mage so I cannot help him directly, but I know some top ppl on this forum would like to look at his logs and give him some pointers , would you please help him out , the name on the logs is potu. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/yLX6VKmjQq9TN7pr/#boss=-2&difficulty=0&start=0&end=9772458 

Thanks in advance 

nalar.

Edited by Nalar

the guildie itself is me b.t.w.   

But i have no idea how to post logs.....

I am Potu - arcane mage on bloodhoof EU.

If you have any questions for me... i can answer them all.  (i hope)

I don't understand why my dps is so low compared with other guildies (that play other specs)

I know arcane is not the best a.t.m.   but i am behind a lot...  and i can not figure out why...............

So if anyone can help........... i would appreciate that a lot..  

armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/bloodhoof/Potu/simple

Edited by Potu
misspelled

I have been looking at your logs and it seems that you have big problem with movement. For example, Anomaly Fight, first missiles you used were 45 sec into the fight (that also burns your mana like crazy, you should ALWAYS, even during arcane power, cast missiles if you have 3 stacks), even though more than 15 sec before that, at 28s mark, you stopped casting and probalby moved somewhere because you also used blink during that time. Next damaging spell is at 40s, that means 12 sec you did zero damage, which is with your dps 5.5M damage lost! Even after that one there are sooo big gaps in rotation... you litteraly 25% of fight dont do damage. Add those 25% to your 462k dmg you already did and you are almost at 600k. Arcane, as every caster probably, is more or less about positioning, planing ahead. Always use your missiles as movement tool (you have slipstream already so you can do that), even if you dont need to move atm, think about where you WILL need to be in next few seconds and go there step by step during missiles casts. Same holes are on other bosses as well, so for example, before anihilation on Triliax, bank up 3 missiles proc and fire them during movement phase. You can also spare presence of mind for that phase, cast another 2 blasts and hope for another proc of missiles.
PS: to encourage you, im arcane as well. First time we killed Guldan HC (smooth kill noone died so dps was real) i did 404k with 897 ilvl, thats shitty. Second kill, with same gear, i did 450k and this week i did 515k, all with almost same gear. I knew rotation long before first kill, if i made aura that makes sound when my missiles proc i can do that with eyes closed, but i didnt know how things align in fight, when to use burst and when to spare it few sec for next set of eyes etc etc. So work on your movement, try to be dpsing every second in fight and your dps will go higher for sure, even without better gear.

6 hours ago, Aleriane said:

I have been looking at your logs and it seems that you have big problem with movement. For example, Anomaly Fight, first missiles you used were 45 sec into the fight (that also burns your mana like crazy, you should ALWAYS, even during arcane power, cast missiles if you have 3 stacks), even though more than 15 sec before that, at 28s mark, you stopped casting and probalby moved somewhere because you also used blink during that time. Next damaging spell is at 40s, that means 12 sec you did zero damage, which is with your dps 5.5M damage lost! Even after that one there are sooo big gaps in rotation... you litteraly 25% of fight dont do damage. Add those 25% to your 462k dmg you already did and you are almost at 600k. Arcane, as every caster probably, is more or less about positioning, planing ahead. Always use your missiles as movement tool (you have slipstream already so you can do that), even if you dont need to move atm, think about where you WILL need to be in next few seconds and go there step by step during missiles casts. Same holes are on other bosses as well, so for example, before anihilation on Triliax, bank up 3 missiles proc and fire them during movement phase. You can also spare presence of mind for that phase, cast another 2 blasts and hope for another proc of missiles.
PS: to encourage you, im arcane as well. First time we killed Guldan HC (smooth kill noone died so dps was real) i did 404k with 897 ilvl, thats shitty. Second kill, with same gear, i did 450k and this week i did 515k, all with almost same gear. I knew rotation long before first kill, if i made aura that makes sound when my missiles proc i can do that with eyes closed, but i didnt know how things align in fight, when to use burst and when to spare it few sec for next set of eyes etc etc. So work on your movement, try to be dpsing every second in fight and your dps will go higher for sure, even without better gear.

Tnks.   And when you telling me this, i reconise the issue i have with movement.   Dit not realise it could have this much impact, but this sounds very resenable.   I wil work on this......   :-)   tnks.... 

I play Arcane and it is a super versatile and capable spec. Movement is actually extremely well sorted in Arcane. All you need to plan well is your starting position as you will be able to go anywhere at any time.

Use Chrono Shift to your advantage - release with Arcane Barrage to get that movement boost if you need to avoid but cant blink. In addition - Shimmer cooldowns. Try to manage them well to reposition yourself. Between these two abilities you will hardly ever need to move normally. This is a lot of free dps. I also use Icy Veins, as it allows you to use Barrage often without as much of a DPS cost to recover charges.

I have the legendary boots, and that item's buff is also a massive hidden DPS boost. It will allow you to always cast even on the move when added to the above strat.

Hope this helps, GL!

Edited by Vayra