FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Czaan

Best Spec for PvP 5.4

Ok so I am currently running DESTRO for RBGs which is amazing, and DEMO for arenas. Now I know for RBGs Destro is very effective, but DEMO isnt the best spec for Arenas, I just know it so well I prefer it in a 2v2 or 1v1 setting.  My question is will DEMO be more viable in Arenas or should I finally make the move BACK to AFF for Arenas for 5.4? (BTW I am trying to avoid being DESTRO for Arenas)

Any help/advice from the experts will really be appreciated. TYVM and love the site!

Personally I'm not a PvPer much but I've been getting back in to it lately because I have a few friends that want me to do it, from what I understand Aff will be amazing in arena. The lesser need of MC and the much higher DoT damage AND two dark souls make it flat out sexy.

SHADOWCLEAVE!  Aff got buffed.  Spriests got buffed.  Grab yourself a Resto Druid and kick some serious ass.

Exactly what Zagam said, 3s with 2 classes that have dispel protection and don't have to focus as much on constant casting for damage anymore is going to be amazing. Even as another comp, affliction will be amazing. I'd definitely keep my eye on affliction teams with partners that are ele/healer (most likely rdruid for most of these), mage/healer, rogue/healer (shammy healer too), and a whole bunch of other teams with possible partners that are getting buffed.

Exactly what Zagam said, 3s with 2 classes that have dispel protection and don't have to focus as much on constant casting for damage anymore is going to be amazing. Even as another comp, affliction will be amazing. I'd definitely keep my eye on affliction teams with partners that are ele/healer (most likely rdruid for most of these), mage/healer, rogue/healer (shammy healer too), and a whole bunch of other teams with possible partners that are getting buffed.

Ok so AFF is going to be amazing for 3s, now what about 2s? Is DEMO any good for anything in PvP other than dueling post 5.4?

Ok so AFF is going to be amazing for 3s, now what about 2s? Is DEMO any good for anything in PvP other than dueling post 5.4?

Well, everything is really comp oriented. I haven't really seen any great demo 2s teams, but I'm sure you could find a way to make it work decently well. Something you can think about to help you make your choice is figure out the pros of each spec, and what partners they would benefit from.

The way I look at it is as follows:

Affliction gets to put long DoTs on, supplies dispel protection, and can fear a lot due to the DoT's still supplying damage while casting fear.

Demo has good nuke but is very reliant on its demon and imps not being manipulated either for resources or cc'd/los'd to spread out the damage and just in general void them. Also, demo locks are pigeon-holed into the felguard and therefore can't use their succubus/felhunter.

Destro gets hurt when it has to CC a lot because it loses out on embers, but with that in mind, a partner that can CC a good amount leaves destro to build embers and keep fear at little DR for when that good opportunity comes up. They also have great concentrated nuke and an excellent execute ability.

Overall, I believe I have only seen 1 demo lock team that has posed a threat at ~2k or higher in 2s, which is a very small amount. The scariest team I have seen that has included a warlock is Destruction Warlock/Frost Mage (the succubus and mage's PoM->AT->Poly makes not being CC'd terrible because the healer has to LoS like crazy to live and therefore can't always be dispelling)... but this probably won't be the case in 5.4 due to mage changes. Another strong Destruction Warlock team was with a Boomkin, but again, they are getting changed for the worse in the upcoming patch, so that will probably be less than ideal.

These are all just based on what I've seen, but I don't have the most arena experience as I can't play as much arena as I would like due to work/school/raiding/life, so obviously there are others out there that would have better info for you, so I'd suggest keep looking, especially if you can find a PvP oriented warlock that is a decent rating and plays a good amount.

Edited by Mit213

I have tried arenas on the PTR and Affli looks great for 3s... as for 2s it depends, if you run double dps then Demo is great (played ele/demo 2s) Remember as Affliction you gotta keep pressure and rot the other team (usually you don't have time for that in 2s as double dps)