FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
zeffrell

heroic Durumu as afflict?

Can heroic Durumube done as affliction lock with the talent to increase aoe range and harvest life.  Was going to try that tonight and see if doable.  Was thinking of dropping a soul burn with seed on him then either using the new drain life or seeding him or combo of both.  Just don't want to try demo out on a heroic boss if i can help it

So my plan basically is to drop soul burn with a seed to spread the corruption on all segments due to talent then after that use harvest life on them should be able to hit them all with the talent

Corruption doesn't do shit for damage.  You might as well just not even bother.  Harvest Life also doesn't do shit for damage.  If you're playing Affliction on Heroic Durumu, you're focused on single target damage.  If your raid team needs you in order to burn down the walls, go Demonology. 

ok so from what i can tell you basically go into meta and hellfire it while casting the new shadow bolt on boss correct?  would just spamming seeds do enough damage or just basically suck it up and go demo for it

Seeds just won't cut it.  As Demo, you want to take Mannoroth's Fury, drop 2x Hand of Guldan for Shadowflame, them pop Meta, Immo Aura, Carrion Swarm, then spam ToC on boss.  Immo Aura must be kept up.  Use Chaos Wave to finish any other walls that need to go down immediately.  It's also group dependent.  I don't have to do walls at all with an Elemental Shaman in my group.  If your group is depending on you, do something efficient like go Demonology.

Cool ty for the help why shadoflame btw.  anyhow raid leader is hoping to get a few ele shammys on for tonight so may be ok but never know we have two locks now both afflic but may both go demo for it as well

Shadowflame hits really hard.  MF affects its range, so it'll be a very high source of damage.

true but isnt it desto spell only i thought have to look ugh have a feeling i am goign demo tonight from what i see in gchat at least.  so should be ok with droping 2 hands then meta and swams and hellfire correct sorry to keep bugging i just hate trying a new spec out for the first time on a heroic boss ugh

Take a look at the Demo guide on how to AoE for a better idea.  It applies directly to those Ice Walls.  I wouldn't have told you to use a spell if it was limited to the Destruction specialization.  I'm pretty proficient with all 3 :)

If you need ONLY wall damage, I would suggest Destruction over Demonology. When I'm Demo I'm below Destruction and Elementals but I'm almost top on single target damage too, when I'm Destro I'm low on single target damage but top on walls for sure. Keep RoF and F&B: Immo up, spam F&B: Incin and F&B: Conf

yeah I go destruction on this just to make it easy for the rest of the raid. I go from last place to 1st place after the first wall and normally end up in 1st or 2nd. my Durumu damage is pretty low but me killing the walls faster allows everyone to put more dps into Durumu.

the only reason i would choose demo over destro would be to not have to reforge or gem as much going to try demo tonight and see what happens 

so that decided is this best shot

That said, wow_icon_ability_warlock_coil2.jpg Chaos Wave is good for burst AoE damage (because your enemies will not live long enough for your DoTs and wow_icon_spell_fire_twilightflamebreath. Shadowflame to do any real damage to them). In this case, do the following:

1. activate wow_icon_spell_shadow_demonform.jpg Metamorphosis;
  2. activate wow_icon_ability_warlock_inferno.jpg Immolation Aura;
  3. double-cast wow_icon_ability_warlock_coil2.jpg Chaos Wave;
  4. cast wow_icon_ability_warlock_demonicpower.jp Carrion Swarm (if knocking back the enemies is a problem, you can use wow_icon_inv_glyph_minorwarlock.jpg Glyph of Carrion Swarm);
  5. spam wow_icon_spell_fire_twilightnova.jpg Void Ray.
Edited by zeffrell

That isn't what you want to do for the Ice Walls.  You want Shadowflame on them, not Chaos Wave.  Should be Hand of Guldan, Hand of Guldan, Meta, Immo Aura, Carrion Swarm, Void Ray lined up on multiple targets.

If you fail it won't be because of him.  It will be simply because you do not know what you're doing for every little situation as Demo.  I would recommend you to play demo a lot more and get use to it rather than jumping into the spec for a heroic progression boss. 

Thats the makings for a bad experience.

1) You already do not fully understand the spec to be able to raid at a Progression level.

2) You are still learning the fight

3) You will be nervious because you do not want to fail or cause a wipe due to you having to worry about soo much rather than focusing on the fight itself.

This is why it is always best to know and to fully be able to preform all specs of your class at a progression level.

During progression I played all 3 specs each week.

Destro can still preform with Demo/Afflic reforging, gemming.

Of course I'm gemmed full Mastery, Hit/Mastery, Int / Mastery. and I'm currently at the 9778 haste rating with everything else into mastery.  For me those stats worked out the best for all 3 specs for what I was needed to do, and I ranked between 85-90 percentile for everyfight.  It all comes down to knowing the spec, how to use the spec to your advantage, and in some cases how to cheese a fight with the spec.

Thats my own two cents for the day.

• Like 2

so going to blame you if i fail lol

You could go either Destruction or Demo for the fight - whichever you're more comfortable playing.  Zagam/Sifon are merely suggesting their personal preferences.  But the thing is, it sounds like you don't much about either spec.  That's your own failing to pigeon-hole yourself  (knowledge-wise) into 1 out of 3 specs of your class going into heroic progression.

That said, I'm not trying to be a dick (though I'm aware I come off as such... often).  There's a vast amount of resource here between this board and the icy-vein "how to's".  Rotations are covered quite thoroughly.  Demo is certainly the most "vague" when it comes to rotation of any class/spec I've played, but that applies more so to single target.  Multi target is more straight-forward.

I'm kinda curious where you even saw to even bother touching the Chaos Wave button.  Since they nerfed it, it's basically an untouchable button for sustained DPS.

Edited by Kaboozey

I'm kinda curious where you even saw to even bother touching the Chaos Wave button.  Since they nerfed it, it's basically an untouchable button for sustained DPS.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-amloxhgiuhi63mha/details/0/?s=7668&e=8090

Chaos wave was doing an avg. hit of 122,022 and critting on avg. for 239,497.

Walls are less sustained DPS for me and more about busting the bejubus out of it before our fire mage can beat me to it. Also, you have such a small amount of time to get them down no matter what that burst>sustained imo.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-2i7wsbvx2r636brx/sum/damageDone/?s=8967&e=9318

That's the kind of damage you should do as demo if you do stuff right , Just pool everything when walls are about to come and pop 2x hog , meta right before it lands and carrion warm + keep up immo aura , you'll melt those walls.

That's your own failing to pigeon-hole yourself (knowledge-wise) into 1 out of 3 specs of your class going into heroic progression.

So much this , idk what's up with people and that kind of attitude.

Edited by Khaos

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-580ttrcvfsn8zawf/sum/damageDone/?s=3807&e=4235

While I agree that Harvest life is balls for damage, its is still more AoE dmg than ToC spam on boss as filler once you have your Immo aura up.  If your guild like mine is struggling to drop walls in a timely fashion, and you're going demo I would suggest using it.  My latest parse I did 6m wall dmg with Harvest life filler.  I personally hate Void ray and find Harvest life on boss works very well as an alternative as it will channel off all 3 walls.  Also, make sure you have Aura of elements up.  I would drop my first HoG, Hellfire for a few ticks then drop my second and into meta.

As you can see, I almost doubled the next best person in wall dmg and did about 1/3rd of the total wall dmg.. (damage by actor tab)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-580ttrcvfsn8zawf/details/69/?s=3807&e=4235

Good luck

Yeah, the nerf in survivability for an alternative spell that isn't a DPS gain over already available means isn't the best decision.  ToC on the boss isn't wasted damage, and if the walls aren't dying fast enough, it's not likely you that is the problem...other people aren't doing their job.  I know most expect Warlocks to carry them, but they need to pick it up if you're having that many issues.  Harvest Life is not going to be better than Void Ray on an entire line (line yourself up).

Without actually reading this insanely long thread, people seem to really underestimate affliction aoe. The reason affli isn't great on durumu isn't because of the aoe damage being low, its the fact that both it and destruction lose out massively if you take mannoroth's during the light spectrum/lazer phase. Demo simply wins because its aoe has a larger scale with almost no single target dps loss. Seed of corruption is actually essentially on par with destruction/demo sustained aoe, and pretty strong for burst aoe in particular.

Both specs lose out to demo in the fact that shadowflame cleaves the adds during the vast majority of the fight which provides a decent amount of fury allowing for larger burst periods or quicker buildup of resources for the next wall phase when you need to dump everything into them quickly. Unless you're FnBing Incins regularly or better still Immolates; you're going to have both weaker AoE and Single Target damage.

If the adds were absent for the fight, affliction would quite easily still be the second best choice as it squeezes out the higher single target damage which can reduce the number of mechanics you have to deal with behind demo for the pure burst AoE.

Gahhda, I see your point but not having KJC hurts Affliction most at the moment. Demo has ToC, Destro can use FF but current version of FF is risky for Affliction so I would choose another spec. Also there is a small change that people confuse your MG beam and Disintegration Beam :P