FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
blindcoyote

Focus Capping Problem

I sometimes find it impossible to not cap my focus.  I use JSHB4 and watch it closely, but even if  I spam the heck out of Arcane Shot and anything else that uses focus and is off CD, I sometimes still cap.  It's complicated by Lock n Load, so I just spam that even though it doesn't consume my focus.  I am careful to leave my fingers of Dire Beast and Cobra Shot.

Sure could use some suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

Not sure how anyone else has worked with this, but I do think it is impossible to never cap focus durring an encounter. The best tactic is if you are capped to have a focus dump rotation. Spam AC, refresh SS by casting it again, whatever it takes to surge your DPS. As a MM hunter I find my rotation puts me at the cap. Then I notice and suddenly the AC barrage plus CS comes off cooldown. The important part is to not stay capped. You can always cast AC even when on the move, so never stay capped.

• Like 1

My target is to stay at ~50 focus, always giving me enough focus for my signiture shot.

One thing which would help is, which talents you are using?

SV can be a bit more difficult not to cap, I dont know is this is a gain or a loss, but I do sometimes weave an arcane between my first and second ES shot to avoid focus capping. Not done the math but as long as you still get your 4th (next) ES off before LnL procs again, I can't see this being a dps loss.

Surprisingly (kind of counter intuitively) using Fervor has helped me manage my focus better and seemed to give me a dps boost, which could be taken as I am not maximising my dps without it, but it does make the playstyle a little easier to me.

I haven't fully converted to Fervor, especially on single target fights, as the difference in dps is lower, which suggests (as expected) Fervor just allows for better aoe burst dps if used right. But still, back to the topic, I did find it easier to manage my focus while using it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I guess I'm not alone in this.  Just started playing BM (SV for a year now) and while reading about a good opening rotation on a boss, it said to not worry about the focus cap that might be caused by the opening rotation.  I will continue to research this.  Would like to hear what Kripparian does on this matter.

Thanks again. 

I am in two minds about it.

Although I do like the charges system they are using on abilities like deterance.

Not sure if they are using it on disengage (that would be awesome, double disengage) but the fact we will be able to use it out of combat is a nice minor bonus. Makes testing my jump disengage skills a bit easier ... and more challenging ways to get from A to B =P

I think it is a major pain for pvp but since I dont pvp its not going to cause me any headaches there =)

Using Serpent Sting to refresh buff is a good idea, spamming it as a SV hunter frontloads a chunk of damage but I do find Arcane Shot better as a focus dump, it throws out more focus and a bit more damage too, but if SS is due for renewal, use SS instead of cobra shot.

Another trick I like is using Fervor instead of Dire Beast or Thrill of the Hunt, it's the most predictable of the three so I activate it when I've just dumped a load of focus to maximize its effect.

Hope this helps!

Try not to use rapid fire under effects of timewarp/bloodlust/heroism. The one talent I do not recommend as survival ever unless you are doing mass aoe is thrill of the hunt as it procs very frequently and will cause focus capping.

As for dire beast you should try to keep your focus at around 30 focus as the focus from it is undefined. I prefer fervor as I know how much focus i will receive and can plan ahead of time.

• Like 1