FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Hawgsnawt

Advice? BM hunter 892 equipped

SO, I'll just leave this here....

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dalaran/Hawgsnawt/simple

I'm wondering... I have the full eagle talon set, but the chest is 890 and garbage for BM hunter, the cloak and legs I wear are at 875...so not too much a loss over my other options, but to go from 2 to 4 piece set, I'd have to swap out my helm and gloves optimally and those items are only 860? 865? LFR drops.... its a HUGE hit to my agi and other stats to make the swap... I've tried it and just can't talk myself into believing its the right choice to downgrade that far...

I'm running about 550k or so dps atm, and I know that's low for my gear as I typically don't talent swap much... as long as I'm high enough on the charts to not get kicked from pug raids, I'm ok with that.... I'm in a 1 man guild and my only raid option is to pug it.....not looking to be top of the list every fight, but I know I'm leaving money on the table....

I am old.... LOL, I'm 56 and my reaction times are garbage at this stage of the game, they all tell me it's not the years, it's the mileage, and I've got enough of that to compete with most folks in their 70s so....I try and make things as easy as I can on myself so I can concentrate on my placement and avoiding insta gib AEs....

I guess what I'm looking for is advice in general... do my stats look out of line? should I swap out to 4 piece even though its such a hit to my stats and as near I can tell my dps based on raid dummy parsers ( I don't understand all this computer stuff well enough to sim things, its all greek to me, remember, I was almost 30 before the first low end home computers even existed LOL...

so... thoughts, concerns, comments?..... anyone wanna grab the rudder and steer an old fart in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Hawg

for what it's worth, I have the legendary shoulders, belt, boots, apex ring, and Burning AE trinket.... from everything I read, swapping from belt and shoulder is not even an option...correct me if I'm wrong.

Of all my trinkets the 2 I have equipped seem to work best for me, though I do have MANY other 880 to 890 options...except the elemental entwined foci which still eludes me in anything better than an 860 LFR drop...I'm actively farming for an Urn and Guarm eye/mastery as to be honest, I think I'd prefer the straight stats over the twiddly procs....at least with stats I know what I'm gonna get, with the procs.... some fights I'm a god, some fights I'm garbage....I hate RNG

Edited by Hawgsnawt
added stuff

You're one lucky old bastard! You have all the legendaries that I'd sell my soul for!

In regards to pure stats over 4pc, the amount of damage bonus you get from the sheer number of extra BW casts makes it definitely worth it, even if it's a whole 5 ilvl downgrade. The chest isn't really all that bad for BM, but you definitely want the 4pc because with the shoulders it synchronises so well; if you're lucky with procs you can go straight from one BW to another with no downtime. I personally (as a 905 BM hunter) run with the tier chest because I need the extra haste until I get shoulders.

For having the legendary shoulders your stats are definitely out, you want a LOT more crit and you can without a doubt afford to drop a heap of mastery and some haste for that. The other BM hunter in the guild I'm in is now ranking in the top 5 for mythic single target fights and has about 35% crit and only 80ish percent mastery.

If you're going to generally tend to stick to one set of talents make sure to go One With the Pack and stack a lot more crit, trust me your dps will fly through the roof.

Trinkets are fine, Convergence of Fates sims higher than the elemental foci until around 900 ilvl anyway.

14 hours ago, Hawgsnawt said:

so... thoughts, concerns, comments?..... anyone wanna grab the rudder and steer an old fart in the right direction?

Luthixx you need to stop encouraging people. I read his whole post and all i can think of was:

"Hi,  i am lazy **Beep Beep* and I am looking for someone to hold my hand" 

responses to post like are simple:

if you have gear choice questions, please see: 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/

or 

http://simulationcraft.org/

check out the pawn addon and weights from this websites guide or the above sites output. 

as the saying goes, " why give a man a fish when ya can teach him to fish"

yes, I have pawn downloaded, and I use it, perhaps you were so quick to jump on the trash someone train that you overlooked the explanation of how I barely understand how to use add ons and something as complicated as simcraft is totally beyond me...but that's ok boss, to be honest I really expected no less, even though there are literally dozens of simple " why do I suck " threads on the first 3 pages that all developed into good helpful conversations which I'm sure did the OP a world of good.

I have yet to see anything from pawn that discusses the VALUE of 2 and 4 piece set bonuses and how to weight them compared to actual hard stats, forgive me, they must clearly be somewhere and I simply am too " lazy " to find them....

as an unguilded hunter ( well one man guilded to stop spam invites ) my ability to theory craft and bounce ideas off other like minded folks are ..... slim and none....silly me for expecting to be able to do that on the actual HUNTER FORUMS......what was I thinking right?

so yea.... forget that I bothered, k......I'll muddle thru best I can on my own, same as I have been since day 1.

Edited by Hawgsnawt

10 hours ago, Banard said:

Luthixx you need to stop encouraging people. I read his whole post and all i can think of was:

So what's the point of posting on the forums then if not to receive helpful advice?

I'm a teacher, I know the importance of positive feedback and meaningful criticism; all I'm trying to do is convey the information in a manner that's constructive and beneficial. You can give people advice however you see fit. 

I also know that my dad, who is 56 as well, is an avid gamer and I would hate to see someone talk as disrespectfully to him as you did to Hawgsnawt for no other reason than you think they're asking a dumb question.

You provided no constructive feedback and simply referred him to two websites and an addon, which he clearly stated he found complicated to use and wanted some specific advice.

Pawn is also not half as good at giving you the right information unless you provide your own simcraft string to go with it, as Hawgs has the legendary shoulders his main stat priority would be crit>mastery, but since he's running the default Azor pawn string he's gone for mastery > all; and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but he would be able to get more dps from having higher crit.

Perhaps if you want to teach a man to fish, you actually should teach him and break down how to use simulationcraft so that he can actually do it himself. Using that phrase is redundant if you don't actually teach him how to 'fish'.

And Hawgs, in response to pawn not showing you whether 2pc and 4pc are more of an upgrade than item level, you can refer to the simulations section of the BM hunter guide that breaks down a basic example of how much dps you'd gain from having 2pc and 4pc. With your legendary combination you should aim to have 4pc, regardless of the ilvl.
Your dps will skyrocket, I speak from personal experience in saying that when I got my 4pc my dps went up by 100k.

If you want Hawgs, I'm more than happy to run you through how to use simcraft to help you get accurate stat weights, or I can do it for you if you like.

Don't have alot of tips regarding the gear but i have one regarding talents.

Never ever and i mean never ever use barrage 

it's optimal in 0 situatin  change it too either moc for singletarget (or 2-4 target's i'd say ) and volley for aoe fights. Never ever barrage

Note: your secondary stats are also a bit too focused on mastery. I'd advice around 15% haste and with shoulders mayb 25% crit. If your mastery takes a hit to get those stats up a bit it's fine 75-80% mastery is still good enough

Second note: regagarding legy's, Belt + shoulds is definitly the best combo by far for most fights but if you know ho o time it right and gennerally know how to efficiently maximize your cd's should + boots are slightly better for pure singletarget( e.x Krosus or trilliax). But as i said only if you know how to perfect your            DB-KC timings aswell as BW windows. 

Edited by Najjic

only had barrage loaded cause I was farming Mog runs before I logged out last night and its fantastic for clearing whole rooms full of lower level mobs as you run thru LOL .... normally I run Volly for 3+ targets, and Crows for Single target.

sorry, I should have remembered to swap it back out.

Should I go in and adjust my stat weights in Pawn to reverse the values of haste and crit?

Edited by Hawgsnawt

17 hours ago, Najjic said:

Note: your secondary stats are also a bit too focused on mastery. I'd advice around 15% haste and with shoulders mayb 25% crit. If your mastery takes a hit to get those stats up a bit it's fine 75-80% mastery is still good enough

Second note: regagarding legy's, Belt + shoulds is definitly the best combo by far for most fights but if you know ho o time it right and gennerally know how to efficiently maximize your cd's should + boots are slightly better for pure singletarget( e.x Krosus or trilliax). But as i said only if you know how to perfect your            DB-KC timings aswell as BW windows. 

1) Crit is best stat when you have shoulders, aim for as much as possible. It will always sim the highest even above 35%. Haste only scales with the boots, is mediocre with belt as you no longer need that focus regen.

2) Boots and shoulders does require a lot more attention and your timing needs to be bang on, I think for you Hawgs, definitely still run belt as it takes a lot more thought out of your timing and lets you focus on other things.

• Like 2

On 11/03/2017 at 4:53 AM, Banard said:

responses to post like are simple:

if you have gear choice questions, please see: 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/

or 

http://simulationcraft.org/

check out the pawn addon and weights from this websites guide or the above sites output. 

as the saying goes, " why give a man a fish when ya can teach him to fish"

Your comment is completely unhelpful to someone who is legitimately asking for advice and help. You could have easily helped him with a few points and tips but yet decide to be completely negative, on a FORUM specifically for a class and spec as this is the main reason they exist.

You also strike me as an individual who has very low emotional intelligence to understand how your comments and attitude can have a negative impact on the OP asking for help. Trying turning that negative attitude into a positive one and providing some help someone. It's the same situation to when you specifically have asked for help in life when you have been unsure and misguided on a topic or situation.

If you look at the comments in this thread and see how people helping the OP has helped him so far better his knowledge he will improve overall for himself and also as a raider / player.

Think before you speak in the future please.