FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Hotterdotter

Warlock DPS Nighthold help

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TDZ23VhLHtYmbNGc/

this is is my first raid with current gear for nighthold... just got second legendary... I need help with certain add one for dot trackers or something.  I just re rolled from my frost Dk to the affliction lock.  If I can get a little help on what to do that would be amazing.   I have found several guides for suggested specs for specific bosses in NH.  But when I go out there and try to emulate those exactly it is a little tougher then anticipated.  I feel as though I am missing something when it comes done to it.  

Thank you for any tips in advance...

If you would like to view the armory

Hotterdotter on Illidan

12 hours ago, Hotterdotter said:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TDZ23VhLHtYmbNGc/

this is is my first raid with current gear for nighthold... just got second legendary... I need help with certain add one for dot trackers or something.  I just re rolled from my frost Dk to the affliction lock.  If I can get a little help on what to do that would be amazing.   I have found several guides for suggested specs for specific bosses in NH.  But when I go out there and try to emulate those exactly it is a little tougher then anticipated.  I feel as though I am missing something when it comes done to it.  

Thank you for any tips in advance...

If you would like to view the armory

Hotterdotter on Illidan

If you are struggling with MG Affy then more than likely your drain cycles need some refining. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/Yipzarena/videos Have a look particularly at Malefic Grasp for beginners, Fatal Echoes and Reap Soul Usage and the Multi target ones and then probably the boss guides. Be aware though some of the videos are often done in mind with what gives the best overall DPS (Affy as a turret like tunneler) not necessarily what is best for progression. 

Have you read the guide on MMO-Champion?

Some tips to work on for now: 

Fully drain all UAs always always (get my point?). So a basic drain cycle is UA, UA, Reap (if you have souls), Drain, Drain (and then possibly more drains for fatal procs though watch the video for a better understanding).

In an ideal world try and avoid dumping more than 2-3 UAs. Though yes you don't want to cap either so I tend to make sure I am on 3 shards or less when I enter a drain cycle. If you do more than two UAs (just to be clear though I tend to dump 3 but I have the belt) you will not be draining the first few ticks when you do the 4-5 dump thing and then you have a long while until your next drain cycle as well.

Assuming you are using MG-Contagion only ever put Agony on your Effigy and not the other DoTs (unless you are moving for a while but then you are better getting your main target ready for another drain cycle).

Give all fights a whirl with SC. Your Agony uptime on the Effigy is quite often spotty so I don't think it is the best choice for you right now. Of course you can persevere with Effigy if you prefer but watch your uptime more.

Never let Agony fall from the main targets as they have to ramp up again, 

Learn to love Wrath of Consumption. Get tagging all mobs and especially now as they give souls as well. You are missing a lot of extra damage here.

This should keep you going for a while. Good luck. 

P.S For a Dot tracker you have to find what works for you. I personally use Weak Auras for my target and focus and then a mixture of boss frames and nameplates for any extra mobs. 

• Like 1

Ok so fast question my relics consist of all perdition for the dot crit dmg!  Should I be stacking more crit currently at 19% crit 14% haste and 135% mastery....  

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/23174940/11/#compare=1&bracket=20&metric=bossdps

this is my boss dmg last evening...  

I am still trying to get heroic gloves... But as far as trinkets go I am almost set with the exception of upgrading these.  Whispers@895 and mastery stat stick with socket 880.

If I wear different gear I can get to about 141% mastery but item level drops to 899 rather then 901... what is too much mastery and too little haste

Hello , ok 1st things 1st forget about ilvl , ilvl for affliction is not important as such , its stats thats the killer punch,

Like spikey squad said go look at yipz vidoes on affliction , looking at your logs for korosus , your rotation is all over the place,

you used SoC presumibly on the adds, dont just tag them and drain each one but keep a look on your agony on korosus whilst doing it, just dont let agony drop of any boss what so ever its a huge dps loss.

just to simplify the rotation it is apply dots and then cast 2xUA's and then reap and then drain soul , (rinse and repeat)

again on korosus

UA usage : on 0:54 you cast 2 ua's and didnt cast any more until 1:35 and at 1:30 you capped out on UA'S and then you applied 4 ua's to get rid of them if you had spaced them out evenly you would have got more consistant damage done . also NEVER cast 1 UA on its own no matter what .

reap usage : you need to hone your skills on how to use reap better you only cast reap 4 times during the fight and  more than likely you went through a period  without reap (which is bad)

siphon life : cast it when it nearly runs out you cast 2, three times together, if you have problems using siphon life then try using soul harvest

drain soul : you had 28% uptime on it which is low need another 10-12% on it especially on fights like korosus , this also ties in with over casting of other spells as if you over cast on other spells you are wasting golbal cooldowns on when you could be using Drain soul, hence whis why the drain cycle is important

for me i needed to learn the fights 101 as i would sometimes cast my UA's and then not have enough time to use MG/DS thus missing out on all that extra damage

hope this helps a little

Nalar

any amount of haste or crit there isnt a lvl anymore but ..........and this is a but . it is recomened to be about 15% haste and as much crit as you can , but remember ther more haste you have the easier the drain cycle is .

i run 21,22,105 and for me personally thats awesome i can burst for about 1.6-.1.8 million if whispers procs , its all about what you feel comfortable with , i can say my stats would be different to the next guys and his would be different to the another guys , its all about what you feel comfortable with

I´m running with c/h/m 20/20/106 and i´m not feeling that comftable with it...i could switch to 17/17/128 and it feels more powerfull...sometimes it is still confusing what items i should use.

Ok ya I have now gone to 21% crit 16% haste and 131% mastery seems way more stable!!  Haven't tried raiding with it as of yet but I am sure it will be better!!  First raid tonight I will post logs

Edited by Hotterdotter