FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
faragorn

crit procs and dot ticks

I was speaking with someone who generally knows what he's talking about and they said that crit updates dynamically on dot ticks. That doesnt seem to match with what I recall and the way UVLS is talked about in this forum.

Anyone have up to date info?

He is so Wrong.... like Italy in WW2.

If u dot a dot with UVLS proc, you got full critical dots on your dot dotting your dotted enemy dot's.

Edited by JvChequer
  • Like 2

He is so Wrong.... like Italy in WW2.

Stop taking warlock advice from Mussolini.

@OP, your friend is wrong. If he is wrong on something as basic as this I would suggest you question everything he says and find new sources of information. 

• Like 1

As the others have said, all of our stats are snap-shotted when we cast a DoT. Crit is no exception. 

I would truly recommend taking your knowledge from us here, or begin acquiring said knowledge on your own accord through learning to theorycraft.

What's that fortune say, again? "The beginning of wisdom is to desire it. The end of wisdom is to theorycraft." ?

He might be saying increased crit damage is not snapshooted like in regular meta gem and Immersius trinket. Snapshotting crit is the reason for UVLS being viable and Demo being top.

PROTIP and good knowledge for everything WoW...

BUFFS = need to recast for benefit

DEBUFFS = update dynamically

That's buffs and debuffs in WoW in a nutshell for you.  Is it a buff?  Recast your shit to get the effect.  Is it a debuff?  Carry on, my wayward son.

PROTIP and good knowledge for everything WoW...

BUFFS = need to recast for benefit

DEBUFFS = update dynamically

That's buffs and debuffs in WoW in a nutshell for you.  Is it a buff?  Recast your shit to get the effect.  Is it a debuff?  Carry on, my wayward son.

Except in the case of UVLS where all your shit starts critting regardless, yeah?

Maybe I'm thinking only spells like Immolation Aura that update like that, or maybe even HoG.

I found it odd that Felstorm snapshotted UVLS.  I could have had incredible RNG, but seeing Felstorm go long past UVLS proc and continue critting every time made it fun.  Shadowflame is an application + DoT, so that snapshots.  I'm not 100% confident in this, but I BELIEVE if you apply Immolation Aura during UVLS, each tick crits.  I think the evidence in this is that I know for 100% fact that reapplying Immolation Aura while Immo Aura is up extends the duration via Pandemic.  This makes me think its a "DoT" effect that snapshots.  Malefic Grasp and Drain Soul are unique in that they update dynamically...I think.  It's been a while since I played Aff + UVLS, but if my memory serves correctly, all of the above is true.

I'm almost positive that if you start an Immolation Aura with no crit, then UVLS procs, all subsequent Aura ticks will crit until the proc wears off.  I did not know that Aura saw benefit from Pandemic though, so that's fancy.

UVLS gives you a buff, which gives the crit. Jin'rokh's puddles give you a debuff. Primal Nutrient is  buff.

Jin'rokh's puddle gives you a "debuff" in the debuff column but acts like a buff with a debuff.  It's a debuff because it also increases damage taken by nature effects.  However, it is a self-applied buff, so recasting is required.

UVLS and Primal Nutrients, as stated, require recasting to capture buffs.

UVLS gives you a buff, which gives the crit. Jin'rokh's puddles give you a debuff. Primal Nutrient is buff.

I'm not really sure where you're going with that.

Anything that goes onto your character, by default, is considered a buff as far as snapshotting is concerned.  Debuffs are something that updates our damage dynamically because they are attached to our target, not us.

I was explaining Kazi's possible misinterpretation of Jin'rokh's puddle.  It shows up as a debuff on your character UI because it is a debuff in that it boosts your nature damage taken.  However, it ALSO provides a 40% damage buff.  I didn't want him to think his stuff automatically updated because he had a 'debuff' on him by being in the puddle. 

I was explaining Kazi's possible misinterpretation of Jin'rokh's puddle.  It shows up as a debuff on your character UI because it is a debuff in that it boosts your nature damage taken.  However, it ALSO provides a 40% damage buff.  I didn't want him to think his stuff automatically updated because he had a 'debuff' on him by being in the puddle. 

I was replying to Kazi too actually, we responded almost simultaneously.  smile.png

I'll make it more obvious***

Oh, I see. So the more accurate description is, "buffs and debuffs on you are snapshotted, buffs and debuffs on the boss are not," yeah?

Buffs to you = recast to snapshot

Debuffs by you/environment = dynamic update to damage taken

Simple test verifies this.  Apply Corruption.  Watch it tick.  Apply Curse of the Elements.  Watch it tick for more.  Same way with a buff.  Cast Corruption.  Watch it tick.  Watch proc happen.  Watch same damage happen after proc.  Update Corruption.  Watch increased damage happen.