FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Greerlynn

Unholy DK: Crit vs Mastery

Hello. I've been playing a dk since they first came out in wrath. I am just close to hitting 110 and am wondering which way to gear him up. In most guides and forums it is suggested mastery and a 20% soft cap for haste. As I have been running sims (through MrRobot) I am wondering if crit outscales mastery at higher ilvl's. Let me know what you think.

(Been raiding since wrath as well and am currently 5/10H NH with my guild on a different toon)

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simulator/report/ec5ea49b90ba40a093c7b49257ad1dc9

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simulator/report/897cf7a1f37d4ea888db2e9ae2565c61

or the insane amount of crit and no mastery  http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/simulator/report/63430077e44b49c5a3f24f780842e84c

Hey. It might depend on the build you wanna play (CS vs Castigator) and the legs you have (the belt), but globally the mastery build outscales the crit one pretty hard, even more considering you have less downtime as you can hit from 30yards.

Crit was maily played at the previous level, before CS received a buff.

Globally, I'd say go for mastery, don't overthink it :). (with CS, the more mastery you have the more it values, it's a bit insane)

Ok. So I should just assume then that a higher lvl of crit won't outscale mastery even though that is what I found in the sims? It just seems odd to ignore the crit build in that sense. If someone could provide their own sims comparing the crit build to the mastery build that would be great. Every sim that I do with a large amount of crit vs a large amount of mastery doesn't prove mastery is better. Unless if obtaining high levels of mastery is just easier and obtaining high lvls of crit is too hard or impossible. 

Thanks again for the comments

i'll post maxweii (unholy jesus) guide here which has details into theorycrafting

the short of it is that sims are inherently flawed and the basic format is patchwork IE no mechanics. In real play mastery build is favored out. Plus with Draught of Souls being just crazy op for unholy the mastery is more favored. In addition Timmy (your pet) does shadow damage. So, basically yes we see crit and castigator and that's one big direct source, where as unholy we have so many other mastery fueled abilities that as you add them up, the total overcomes crit. So something like crit castigator is 5 points, but ghoul shadow is 2, clawing shadows is 2, draught of souls is 3, so you add all mastery sources together and the total in this case 7 vs 5 overcomes the single source. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12B-ZLbhTUlYPV1ek_90uGLZiOP5EuZeIoejZOYzR4L0/edit#

Perfect. That actually makes a lot more sense now, especially since I figured sims were not perfect, but was hoping I found something. 

Again thank you for the comments and the link to the guide. Very much appreciated. 

On 4/18/2017 at 2:35 PM, Greerlynn said:

Perfect. That actually makes a lot more sense now, especially since I figured sims were not perfect, but was hoping I found something. 

Again thank you for the comments and the link to the guide. Very much appreciated. 

s'why we are here :D