FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Prettylady

Two questions (BM)

Dear Hunters --

Long time trawler, first time poster. I've just recently acquired my third legendary, and I am confused now as to what I should be running. I have Apex Claw and Kil'Jaedan's, and I just received the boots. I don't currently have a second trinket to replace Kil'Jaedan's with, except an 860 stat stick. But I'm hoping that will change in the near future, though I have not exactly had great luck with trinkets, legendaries, or tier drops: my guild has never seen a CoF on any difficulty, and I only got my tier helm this week -- the first time Eli dropped protector. Alas. 

I digress. Anyway, I'm wondering which of those legendaries I should run.

My second question (and it is not unrelated to the first), is about Dire Frenzy. I am hearing two mutually exclusive things about Dire Frenzy: first, that we should more or less use it off cooldown; second, that we should never be focus capped. I cannot easily on any BW phase -- or at all, during BL -- spend enough focus to not have Dire Frenzy focus cap me. I guess I'm just wondering what the optimal usage of DF is, overall, and if that changes at all if I should use the boots.

Many thanks.

Just run the trinket til you get something better. Save the boots til afterwards, no point using a terrible trinket for slightly better boots.

In regards to DF; if it's during lust you need to have 18% haste in order to have it at 3 stacks for almost the whole duration, and prevent it from falling off, at this point it's okay to focus cap, but for the rest of the fight if you're gonna focus cap just use a cobra shot first. 

No real change if you use boots, since you'll probably still run killer cobra.

i would recommend that you go with kiljadeans + boots since the effect from ring and the statstick from it is pretty terrible. Ring could be an alternative during high aoe situations(i.e skorpyron or something of the like) since it is mostly your pet doing dps through BC.

About your df question it should always be on cd. If you are having trouble with your focus capping you should maybe take a look at ur rotation as if you are playing as the guide says you should never focus cap. Regarding boots legendary affecting your rotation it only really changes that KC always should be cast before DF in almost every situation. 

Edited by Najjic

Just now, Luthixx said:

at this point it's okay to focus cap, but for the rest of the fight if you're gonna focus cap just use a cobra shot first. 

Never ever focus cap if you are focused cap just hit cs if everything else is on cd. being on focus cap is just lost dps.

KC before DF if you are running boots.

Just now, Najjic said:

Never ever focus cap if you are focused cap just hit cs if everything else is on cd. being on focus cap is just lost dps.

Unless it's during your opener or during lust where you'd lose the 3 stack, you're generating enough focus during lust to not have to worry about that cobra shot. That 3 stack is number 1 priority during lust.

Just now, Luthixx said:

Unless it's during your opener or during lust where you'd lose the 3 stack, you're generating enough focus during lust to not have to worry about that cobra shot. That 3 stack is number 1 priority during lust.

of course if your DF is off cd and you are close to focus cap you should still hit it. BUt you should never ever be in that situation ( unless you have insane WC procs or anything of the like). If you are then look over your rotation and make sure you are following the guide etc.

2 hours ago, Luthixx said:

I thought the boots make Killer Cobra useless, or the other way around?

Seems that if I hit DF above 75 focus, the GCD means I won't be able to -- or I'll be right on the edge -- get a cobra shot or a KC off before I cap. And since the rule is not to use cobra shot under 90 focus, I find myself ending up in a deadzone (it lives again!) unsure if I should fire off my cobra shot prematurely, or pop DF and hit focus cap. 

This generally has me stringing cobra shots to try and keep my focus low in anticipation of DF and WC, but not so low that I can't hit Kill Command when it comes off CD. I've read and re-read that rotation and I am pretty confident I've got it down. It's mostly just "use everything off cooldown, except cobra shot; use that above 90." No? Some adjustments for titan's thunder, etc. etc. Sometimes I forget about Crows for a bit, but that can't be the sole explanation, and I've gotten way better at remembering them.

I feel like I'm on the cusp of understanding, but missing something vital.

15 hours ago, Prettylady said:

And since the rule is not to use cobra shot under 90 focus,

This is a dumb rule. It's more of a rule of thumb to help ppl to stay of focus starvation before going into BW phase. don't w8 until your @ 90 focus if everything is on cd especcially during TW

This should in my opinion be changed in the guide since it's pretty misleading. Other than that you seem to have the rotation down pretty well. 

Edited by Najjic

15 hours ago, Prettylady said:

I thought the boots make Killer Cobra useless, or the other way around?

This is also a common misconception among Many bm hunters. It's an addition to Killer cobra it's not replacing it.

Seen way too many forum posts suggesting that Boots shouldn't be used together with Killer cobra.

Edited by Najjic

With regards to focus cap, there are some moments where having Aspect of the Wild and Bloodlust combined will force you to focus cap when you cast Dire Frenzy. It doesn't matter. The extra focus you get from those two cooldowns simply cannot be spent fast enough. Use DIre Frenzy to maintain the attack speed buff on your pet to maximize damage from Thunderslash.

You can totally use Cobra Strike below 70 focus. You simply have to calculate that you will have 30 focus by the time Kill Command comes off cooldown, or that you will fill your focus bar by the time Bestial Wrath comes off cooldown. The "70 focus" line is an easy rule to prevent you from being focus starved when you activate Bestial Wrath and to prevent you from waiting for focus to use Kill Command without having to think about it.

In response to Najjic, the boots deal higher damage using Aspec of the Beast. It's not that Killer Cobra becomes useless. Rather, Aspect of the Beast actually does quite decent dps already, and the boots allow you to cast Kill Command 4 times per Bestial Wrath reliably. The additional damage from Aspect of the Beast is higher than casting a fifth Kill Command instead of a Cobra Strike during Bestial Wrath (using Aspect of the Beast means you cast more Cobra Strikes by the way, you don't just sit on all that focus waiting). Your opener will always be stronger with Killer Cobra because Bloodlust + Aspect of the wild lets you cast 6 or 7 Kill Commands in your first Bestial Wrath, but on a full boss fight the boots do more damage using Aspect of the Beast.