FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
demonardvark

Frost DK, 7.2.5, BOS, and laziness

so i had made a helper for BOS that was pinned for 7.1.5. Obviously we are in 7.2 right now and a user pointed out it was out of date which I agreed with. I added a TLDR section for 7.2 at the top but because of user I realized other people may continue reading and there was outdated things that don't match top logs. So, I un pinned it.

7.2 really just nerfed one legendary which led to a single talent swap and the legendary value ranking switching up. 7.2.5 however is when things will get interesting. New trinkets, potential tuning passes (frost not mentioned yet but blizz can be blizz) but also the very real possibility of mixed tier 19/20 being the best set up. 

so the BOS helper was to fill in gaps and answer commonly asked questions. 7.2 just didn't have enough to motivate me to go back and change everything especially with 7.2.5 looming, simple fact, didn't want to invest the time/was lazy/ had to get max light in destiny. once 7.2.5 drops and we get to see real play versus what sims say and get some good logs and that, that's when i'll redo/ re-update the faq/helper. 

For those who might be looking for 7.2 implications the formal guide here has it just fine but the summary is; Horn of winter now instead of Freezing Fog (if struggling with BOS/don't have "good gear"), ring and waist best legendary items, and COF is amazing trinket, try to get it. 30-45 second breaths is the minimum window to shoot for, longer is of course better. Early prediction for 7.2.5 is not too much will change and we'll see split tier but there is tuning and such to be done. So we'll just kinda hang out and chill until we get closer and see more solid numbers.

lazy-aardvark.jpg

(picture was found on internet by typing lazy aardvark :D )

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, demonardvark said:

lazy-aardvark.jpg

(picture was found on internet by typing lazy aardvark :D )

I thought it was a selfie!

The lack of PTR changes for Frost in 7.2.5 is suspicious to me... just a hunch.

I don't think the underperforming talents will get any love... feels like the window of opportunity is closing :(

1 hour ago, Browed said:

The lack of PTR changes for Frost in 7.2.5 is suspicious to me... just a hunch.

I don't think the underperforming talents will get any love... feels like the window of opportunity is closing :(

Same, although BOS is fine I don't necessarily like that frost is being pigeonholed into it.  I mean classically frost was either smash obliterate using 2h build, or some combo masterfrost version of spam howling blast and frost strike. Being almost just a frost mage is kinda meh but then I felt the reworked talents were questionable. So, I think we'll see bos remain dominant although switching it up would be nice. However, frost got a bum deal going into legion and I don't know how much attention the Dev's really give to the DK community. 

so we'll see

I don't understand why you keep advising to take Horn of Winter instead of Freezing Fog. Horn of Winter has been irrelevant from the start, and the nerf to the helm (which is still top tier as soon as there's more than 1 target) doesn't change that. The ideal 80 second breaths happen more than consistently enough to where even if the talent was just a buff to Frost Fever it would still be the better choice. Potentially an exaggeration but you get my point...

1 hour ago, Stariax said:

I don't understand why you keep advising to take Horn of Winter instead of Freezing Fog. Horn of Winter has been irrelevant from the start, and the nerf to the helm (which is still top tier as soon as there's more than 1 target) doesn't change that. The ideal 80 second breaths happen more than consistently enough to where even if the talent was just a buff to Frost Fever it would still be the better choice. Potentially an exaggeration but you get my point...

Not everyone is a mythic raider nor does everyone have the best legendary items or ideal trinkets. The formal guides on this site are intended to be aimed at mythic end game top raiders,  this is a fractionally small percent of the true player base (although you'd think everyone was full mythic geared by the way they blather on interwebs XD). I aim at overall guides for the other non mythic players. With that being said being brief does have its draw backs. So, players without "good legendaries" or newer/struggling with BOS will get more leg room out of horn of winter. Once you have tier or decent legendaries freezing fog is of course better. We aren't trying to hit 4 minute long breaths anymore and you can with tier, legendarys, COF, etc get resource logged, ie too many resources where you can't spend them. So to that end perhaps its better to say

If "geared" - freezing fog

if not/having issues with BOS - horn of winter

As i mused on a different post, there is a difference between Brief and Concise, and I see I fall more to the first than I would prefer XD (something to work on)