FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
vandevere

WOW Newbie here with a few questions...

First, I created a Paladin, and I'm looking for Classes that are easy to play, with good survival as I learn my way through the game.

Second, what are the game mechanics when your toon dies?  Do you have to run back to your corpse and risk mobs corpse-camping you?

Hello and welcome to the community!

if you die, you can either run back to your corpse or resurrect at the Spirit Healer (places a nasty stat-lowering debuff on you for 10 minutes). There's a "rez tolerance radius" so you can avoid aggroing mobs on respawn.

The second question is a little trickier to answer as all comes down to personal preference. Most of the mobs will die before they even reach you, so you should pick whatever you enjoy most. Class Trials allow you to create a Level 100 character to try out gameplay (Artifact acquisition quest line included).

Classes have various specs. Some are pure DPS classes (Mage, Rogue, Warlock), some are more versatile (Druid, Paladin, Monk). Want to tank, heal and have 2 DPS specs? Go Druid. From my personal experience, I've always facerolled content with classes that had a pet (Hunters, Frost Mages, Demonogy Warlocks).

As stan said. When you die everything goes monochrome and all enemies can't touch you. Once you find your corpse a button to revive now appears. Now, you can respawn in the middle of baddies but there is a radius of revival so you can move to a safer spot and revive.

For newer toons just leveling I might recommend Tanks. They are durable with good self healing self defending abilities. Now you shouldn't have problems with DPS (damage) characters at all. Healers typically have a rougher time leveling often having to switch specs. Also if starting from lvl 1 Tanks do incredibly more damage than DPS for some time due to scaling/design issues. So, tanks are more sturdy and probably the easiest to start with for leveling/questing.

As Stan said as well when buying the new games you get a free boosted character and the class trials are a good way to play around with what the class will play like. Now it is sort of a generality most classes have 3 specs and they will play a bit differently however, the general flavor can be experience ie rogues using combo points, death knights using runes, warriors generating fury, what have you. However, In addition to the boost I would recommend leveling a character from lvl 1. It just gives you more of a first hand history lesson and lets you explore the world in its whole instead of just one chunk of it where the current game takes place

On 4/25/2017 at 8:34 AM, demonardvark said:

As stan said. When you die everything goes monochrome and all enemies can't touch you. Once you find your corpse a button to revive now appears. Now, you can respawn in the middle of baddies but there is a radius of revival so you can move to a safer spot and revive.

For newer toons just leveling I might recommend Tanks. They are durable with good self healing self defending abilities. Now you shouldn't have problems with DPS (damage) characters at all. Healers typically have a rougher time leveling often having to switch specs. Also if starting from lvl 1 Tanks do incredibly more damage than DPS for some time due to scaling/design issues. So, tanks are more sturdy and probably the easiest to start with for leveling/questing.

As Stan said as well when buying the new games you get a free boosted character and the class trials are a good way to play around with what the class will play like. Now it is sort of a generality most classes have 3 specs and they will play a bit differently however, the general flavor can be experience ie rogues using combo points, death knights using runes, warriors generating fury, what have you. However, In addition to the boost I would recommend leveling a character from lvl 1. It just gives you more of a first hand history lesson and lets you explore the world in its whole instead of just one chunk of it where the current game takes place

Thanks for all of the above.  Re Spirit Healers...where are they usually found?  I don't Mind a ten minute Debuff compared to corpse runs.  I had a nasty experience around ten years ago, when I first tried WoW, when I died, and ran back to my body, only to die immediately.

I never actually got to a safe place, and after a full 30 minutes of nonstop corpse-run/die/corpse-run/die...I eventually decided to quit the game.  

So, no, after ten-plus years away from the game, I hope it's easier now...

1 hour ago, vandevere said:

Thanks for all of the above.  Re Spirit Healers...where are they usually found?  I don't Mind a ten minute Debuff compared to corpse runs.  I had a nasty experience around ten years ago, when I first tried WoW, when I died, and ran back to my body, only to die immediately.

I never actually got to a safe place, and after a full 30 minutes of nonstop corpse-run/die/corpse-run/die...I eventually decided to quit the game.  

So, no, after ten-plus years away from the game, I hope it's easier now...

Resurrection SicknessResurrection Sickness is the buff you get. I don't know if they changed it, but IIRC, character levels 10 and under aren't affected by it. You get 10 minutes at levels 20 and above. Spirit Healers can only be seen when you're dead. There are several across the map to ensure you never need to run long. Now there's even a function that teleports you back to the Spirit Healer instantly if you get stuck somewhere. Some areas even give you a flying mount when you're running back to your corpse.

To be perfectly frank, I don't think you will have any issues when resurrecting at max range.

• Like 1