FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
MaladjustedMisfit

Questions about weapon damage vs. damage range, and stat priorities

Hi,

I've noticed that in different guides, under the stat priorities for weapons, sometimes it lists "weapon damage" and other times it states "high damage range."  Are these different wordings referring to the same thing?  I'm guessing that damage range is referring to the elemental damage range listed on a weapon under the primary heading?  It will say "+1305-1583 Cold Damage" for example.  There is another damage range listed under the large white "damage per second" number.  I'm guessing it's the one under the primary heading though since the other numbers are derived from the primary stats, but I just want to be sure.  "Weapon damage" is rather vague, and could mean a number of things.  I didn't see any kind of master legend or glossary that details exactly what these kinds of terms mean on the site, so please forgive me if that information is here somewhere but I've missed it.

Also, another question regarding stat priorities on gear.  Should the overall goal be to find every stat listed on a given piece of gear, even if some of the rolls may be rather low, or is it better to weigh the stats more according to the order of the priority?  For example, let's say the listed stat priority for shoulders says 1. Dexterity, 2. Vitality, 3. Cooldown Reduction, 4. Area Damage.  If I have a shoulder piece with all those stats, but maybe the dex and vit rolls are on the low side, and I find another shoulder with high rolls for those, but it's missing area damage (assuming I've already enchanted the gear) then would that shoulder be better even though it's missing area damage, or would having all the stats, even if some are low, be better overall?  I'm sure the answer to this may vary from build to build on a case by case basis, but I'm just looking for a more general guideline.

Anyway, thanks for all the great guides on the site; they've been very helpful.

• Like 1

Super late (Sorry!), but to answer your questions:

• Damage range refers to the "XXXX - XXXX Damage" option on weapons, where the Xs are replaced with numbers.
  • Generally, it depends on where the stat ranks. If, in your example, AD was the #1 priority for that slot, you'd take the one with AD on it. If it's 4th, you'd just take the ones with better rolls. If you're comparing medium to high rolls, you take the one with every stat on it.

Sorry once again!

On 4/25/2017 at 10:06 AM, MaladjustedMisfit said:

Hi,

I've noticed that in different guides, under the stat priorities for weapons, sometimes it lists "weapon damage" and other times it states "high damage range."  Are these different wordings referring to the same thing?  I'm guessing that damage range is referring to the elemental damage range listed on a weapon under the primary heading?  It will say "+1305-1583 Cold Damage" for example.  There is another damage range listed under the large white "damage per second" number.  I'm guessing it's the one under the primary heading though since the other numbers are derived from the primary stats, but I just want to be sure.  "Weapon damage" is rather vague, and could mean a number of things.  I didn't see any kind of master legend or glossary that details exactly what these kinds of terms mean on the site, so please forgive me if that information is here somewhere but I've missed it.

Also, another question regarding stat priorities on gear.  Should the overall goal be to find every stat listed on a given piece of gear, even if some of the rolls may be rather low, or is it better to weigh the stats more according to the order of the priority?  For example, let's say the listed stat priority for shoulders says 1. Dexterity, 2. Vitality, 3. Cooldown Reduction, 4. Area Damage.  If I have a shoulder piece with all those stats, but maybe the dex and vit rolls are on the low side, and I find another shoulder with high rolls for those, but it's missing area damage (assuming I've already enchanted the gear) then would that shoulder be better even though it's missing area damage, or would having all the stats, even if some are low, be better overall?  I'm sure the answer to this may vary from build to build on a case by case basis, but I'm just looking for a more general guideline.

Good Question - I would like to see a proper answer!

• Like 1

On 4/25/2017 at 2:06 AM, MaladjustedMisfit said:

Hi,

1. In the stat priorities, weapon damage and damage range is the same thing. The damage range is added to the base damage to the Weapon. That damage is displayed under the big dps number.

2. In most cases its better to have an item with close to ideal Stat combination than one with higher rolls but lackluster Stat. The most notable exception to this rule is cooldown reduction if you need a Hard cap, like DH builds with dawn need 37% CDR for vengeance to be permanent. 

• Thanks 1

The question pertaining to damage range and weapon damage seems to already have been answered.

Stat priorities:

this gets very complicated and often times the actual priority of the stats is not indicated.

Rule of thumb is- if a person posts a guide stating stat priorities, the stats listed first have the highest priority and must be on the gear. the lower down the priority list you go the less important it is to have; However, this is not always the case. some builds will require all stats listed and they all actually are #1 priority. you can't list 4 separate stats as priority 1, nor  does 1 stat have more priority over the others. An example for LoN WoL monks: in my opinion the shoulders NEED 8% cooldown, 8% resource cost reduction, and 20% area damage. normally the remaining primary stat is DEX.  I would list the priorities as  #1: 8% CDR , #2: 8% RCR, #3: 20% AD, #4: DEX.

the hard part is knowing what values are actually needed and how much.  for my above example I must have 8% CDR no less, the other stats don't have to be perfect. if I had 2 shoulders one with 600 DEX, 18% AD, 8% CDR, and 6% RCR. the other with 650 DEX, 20% AD, 6% CDR, and 8% RCR.  I would elect to use the one with the perfect CDR roll.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:55 PM, eXisFOHDR said:

The question pertaining to damage range and weapon damage seems to already have been answered.

Stat priorities:

this gets very complicated and often times the actual priority of the stats is not indicated.

Rule of thumb is- if a person posts a guide stating stat priorities, the stats listed first have the highest priority and must be on the gear. the lower down the priority list you go the less important it is to have; However, this is not always the case. some builds will require all stats listed and they all actually are #1 priority. you can't list 4 separate stats as priority 1, nor  does 1 stat have more priority over the others. An example for LoN WoL monks: in my opinion the shoulders NEED 8% cooldown, 8% resource cost reduction, and 20% area damage. normally the remaining primary stat is DEX.  I would list the priorities as  #1: 8% CDR , #2: 8% RCR, #3: 20% AD, #4: DEX.

the hard part is knowing what values are actually needed and how much.  for my above example I must have 8% CDR no less, the other stats don't have to be perfect. if I had 2 shoulders one with 600 DEX, 18% AD, 8% CDR, and 6% RCR. the other with 650 DEX, 20% AD, 6% CDR, and 8% RCR.  I would elect to use the one with the perfect CDR roll.

I said the same about cdr tbh ?

You are not entirely right, for example, you can get away without the rcr or ad roll. AD is big to have, but being an additive value, it loses percentage value in damage output per AD percentage. Roughly the same applies to rcr, being multiplicative