FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
jtrimbac

Help with Fury

Hello,

I'm looking for help with my Fury Warrior. I'm well geared, use SimulationCraft and Stat Weight Score to collect gear and have looked at DPS guides on Icy Veins and elsewhere, but I feel like I'm still low on DPS.  Even at ilvl 893 with four tier pieces (one from LFR) and two legendaries, I'm only pulling in the 300-400k DPS range most fights.  I'd really appreciate any insight into what I'm doing wrong.

Nighthold Normal Log:  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/q7pVn9Q6fPvFbkR1

Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shuhalo/Ranen/advanced

Thanks for any help.

http://www.checkmywow.com/reports/q7pVn9Q6fPvFbkR1/111520464/9?tab=casts

Now, I don't main a warrior but that website should be an essential tool in improving your dps, and it looks like you're missing a LOT of casts and sitting there for half the fight at full fury. You're a melee class; you should pretty much be bashing your rotation to death on your keyboard and knowing exactly what ability to use in what order.

In particular, your execute damage was unbelievably low; the fight I looked at you cast execute three times. You have the ring, so you would've had more than three procs throughout the entire fight. You really, REALLY, need to prioritise that more.
Majority of your key abilities are barely being used; melee attacks should not be your top source of damage.

Also, no food/flask - this makes a huge difference in dps.

You're missing the two main trinkets that fury needs; Draught of Souls is literally a complete game changer for fury; without that and Convergence of Fates you'll never compete for top spot.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/kKt3T6ZAMpcBd2bm#fight=10&type=damage-done&source=21&translate=true

For your ilvl bracket, this was the highest dps done on Trilliax (the fight I'm comparing your dps on, since it's literally just a tunnel fight for melee). Notice how their burst was over three million and yours didn't even hit 800k? That's how much difference having that trinket and using your abilities properly make. You should also use warcraftlogs to compare your talents/gear/damage to the top players on each fight and use checkmywow to see what they do so differently to you.

Thanks very much Luthixx.

I didn't know about checkmywow.com. I'll use that site regularly.  I'll also prioritize execute higher and enrage more often to spend rage. After rereading the rotation guide I realized I was misinterpreting " always cast Enrage at 100 rage if using Frothing Berserker IconFrothing Berserker " as "wait until 100 rage to cast Enrage."

I'm a little puzzled at you saying I'm not using food or flask.  I was using both Flask of Countless Armies and Azshari Salad during all the fights in the logs. 

Finally, I'll be happy to use Draught of Souls & Convergence of Fates as soon as Gul'dan and Ellisande give them to me :)

17 hours ago, jtrimbac said:

I didn't know about checkmywow.com. I'll use that site regularly.  I'll also prioritize execute higher and enrage more often to spend rage. After rereading the rotation guide I realized I was misinterpreting " always cast Enrage at 100 rage if using Frothing Berserker IconFrothing Berserker " as "wait until 100 rage to cast Enrage."

I'm a little puzzled at you saying I'm not using food or flask.  I was using both Flask of Countless Armies and Azshari Salad during all the fights in the logs. 

Finally, I'll be happy to use Draught of Souls & Convergence of Fates as soon as Gul'dan and Ellisande give them to me :)

All good mate! Glad to be of help!

Sorry about the food/flask comment, I just couldn't see on your logs that you were using them, checkmywow showed you didn't use potions on the fights I looked at so I just assumed it was a general issue.

Yeah, I get that loot is one of those things that you can only change when RNGesus is nice to you, but definitely focus on trying to get those two items. Even if you literally have to save your bonus rolls for those two bosses and just go in and kill them repeatedly for extra bonus rolls. As a hunter with the legendary bracers I absolutely NEED CoF, so I had to do it for about 4 extra kills in one week.

Good morning jtrimbac,

Just jumping in here with my $0.02. . .

• While sites like Check My WoW can be useful, be careful as taking them for gold. Like SimulationCraft, it is a calculator. I've only personally used it a few times (just to test the data it spits out) and there are things that can potentially be misleading with it (such as saving an ability for proper CD alignment; the "Check My WoW" will tell you that you need to "improve" this cast when, in reality, you may have handled it properly). Overall it is a useful tool; don't misunderstand me. It's just like any other tool, however - use it with a little common sense.
  • I checked your logs on Krosus, specifically. I did notice that you had your food and Flask buff. I would recommend changing to the Lavish Suramar Feast as it's currently the best stat food to eat (500 Strength). If you / your guild can't afford that then that's fine.
  • Luthixx is correct in the fact that having even just a Draught of Souls (when used properly) will dramatically increase your numbers. Personally I think it's bad design to have such weight in one piece of gear but, it is what it is, and that's how it is for Fury Warriors currently. There have been parses / fights to where this trinket alone accounts for 15% - 20% of my total damage done. It's that powerful. You can see here where it was almost 20% of my damage on a Normal Krosus encounter.
  • Lastly, when comparing yourself against those ranked #1 as Lutixx suggested, take into consideration that almost everyone in their specific logs are 95% and above rankings, it's guaranteed that they're better geared (more aligned with BiS), and their fight lengths are, most likely, incredibly shorter than yours. With these facts in consideration, their numbers will be much higher than yours.

Improving your personal performance will come down to gear, yes, but it'll be overall fight efficiency and class understanding. (Something to the effect of Enrage uptime, CD alignment, , and proper rotation come to mind when specifically talking about a Fury Warrior). This comes with practice, research, using tools like Check My WoW and Simcraft, and more practice.

While logs and such are important for analyzing performance issues, I also wonder about cosmetic things such as tracking your buffs. Do you manage your buffs with Weak Auras / Tell Me When? (Things like knowing when you're Enraged, when you have Frothing Berserker, your Juggernaut stacks are important, too.) Do you click your abilities (with your mouse) or do you use key binds? Things like this are just as important.

Anyway; this is just my $0.02. I hope it helps. If you should have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

21 hours ago, jtrimbac said:

I'll also prioritize execute higher and enrage more often to spend rage. After rereading the rotation guide I realized I was misinterpreting " always cast Enrage at 100 rage if using Frothing Berserker IconFrothing Berserker " as "wait until 100 rage to cast Enrage."

That is actually what it means. Since you're using Frothing Berserker, only cast Rampage when you reach 100 rage. Do NOT delay it though. You spent 60s fury capped in the Krosus fight, which lasted 3 minutes. That's a lot of time.

You are also not being efficient with your basic rotation, casting only 30 Raging Blows where you could have used it 43 times. As a Fury Warrior, you always want to be hitting something. Basic rotation should be Raging Blow > Bloodthirst > Furious Slash, repeat. Always cast Rampage when you reach 100 rage, and keep the basic rotation going. Your opener also seems a bit wonky. Generally you want to Charge in -> Avater + Battle Cry -> Rampage -> Raging Blow -> Odyn's Fury, then proceed with your rotation. This will happen throughout the fight when you have your cooldowns back up. Always use Odyn's Fury along with Battle Cry. That means if you need to, delay Odyn's Fury. Do NOT delay Battle Cry.

Thanks, all.

I'll take all of that into account. What face2face described for rotation is what I was trying to do, but obviously failing at it.  One remaining question:  Should I use Execute whenever it procs, or delay it to build rage?

Edited by jtrimbac