FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
mastapetz

Rerolling Hunter, Level Suggestion and such please

OK everyone, last time I actively played Hunter was when Worgen were new. I  boosted that one to 100 (still something I think I shouldnt have done, but whatever) but I kinda just don't get it .. so probably starting anew to get back into the class is the best thing.

I took a Draenei currently just dinged level 9.  

Now Let us come to my questions and stuff:

Since early on, I don't have THAT much storry (if I remember right) I want to fast track my exping where possible.
I probably wont have the gold for that exp potion, but have (I think) all exp+ herilooms. What other, but rested bonus, options are there?

Which is the best way to go for maximum on fun and exp progress? For leveling and learning handling the Hunter, which is the best spec?
The hunter leveling guide I remember from this page is 100-110. The 1-99 guides I found were ... well I only found 1-70 guides oddly enough (google seems to act like bing to me though)

Which route to go if I also want to have some awesome story? I guess the real story part begins with WotLK... at least I can't remember real story progression in Classic and BC that is in any way relevant again

Is it still a thing as last time I played, that certain pet types were better or worse for this and that dungeon? Like, dont take bears, they are to tanky, use a spider here, a cat there, a rhino here and so on?

Anything a returning Hunternoob might need to know ... and yeah I know, pullt all the things with multishot allway, or else I am not a  "true" hunter xD

33 minutes ago, mastapetz said:

What other, but rested bonus, options are there?

You're in luck friend, for Sunday is the wonderful, magical, darkmoon faire. Go to the merry go round, grab yourself some tickets, plop down on that spinning wheel of fun and queue up for dungeons. You can go from vanilla to wrath in no time. Bonus note, I'm not sure if its still in play but when I did invasion leveling before Legion if you hit 72 they give you free first rank of flying.

Edited by Sawzorthn
  • Like 1

Nope, you just hop on the merry go round and queue up. You do need to move off of it when the dungeon pops because WoW is weird and it acts like you're in a vehicle, but once the dungeon is over you  hop right back on and it will refresh the duration of the XP buff, so if you don't die one ticket will give you a buff that will technically last forever.

once you get to 45 or so, there's a trick that you can use.  You do Blackrock depths, the second part.  You jump off the side and do the fire boss, then go up the ramp and kill the dwarf.   Doing that completes the instance.

If you're lucky, you find a group who will just chain run it.  Takes like 3-5 minutes per run depending on the group.  outside of the instance, be near an armor vendor so you can repair and sell junk and unusable blues, and then do it again.  Can probably get to 60 in maybe an hour or two, especially with the Dark Moon Faire buff (there's an armorer in there too, so you can just rebuff the Merry go Round and repair/sell junk quickly)

Awesome story and fast level don't work together very well. Any fast leveling guide will make you leave or skip whole areas before you do most of the story elements. As soon as you're high enough to go to the next best zone then you do that.

If you want to play solo (or mostly solo), Beast Master is the best by far. Use a Tenacity pet all along. It will tank anything. You won't have any problems. A pet "being too tanky" is never a bad thing, unless you're looking for challenge.

Pets are all basically generic now, except for 1 special ability that usually is not very impactful. A turtle is probably your best choice early on since they have an ability that gives them a shield when they go low on HP. Once you can get to Molten Core you should get yourself a Core Hound for that sweet Ancient Hysteria. The only other powerful special ability is a battle ress, so a Moth is the easy choice there, but it's useless if you're solo and it's generally not needed in low level dungeons. Quillens are great because they have both the turtle shield and the battle ress, but they're only available in Pandaria.

• Like 1

i just don't get it...i don't get it...like.../facepalm

I read this ...read between the lines ....just.../faceplam

so let me paraphrase this  conversation:

New Guy: man, Hunters are awesome...i boosted one...but I am lost ...so confused...dont know how to play.  so i made a level 1 toon, to try and learn the ins and outs. Any guides?

Community A:  Do X and you will level super fast!

Community B: NO! Do Y you be there in no time! 

Community C: Your both wrong do Z and you be there in a flash!

Did you all not read the following: 

I  boosted that one to 100 (still something I think I shouldnt have done, but whatever) but I kinda just don't get it

he already has 100..he boosted one...he dont need a fast way to level. He wants a feel for the class. 

@OP 

go back to your level 100...respec into BM...read the leveling guide/class guide from this website and go take the dark portal and enjoy leveling through WoD...then Legion with your Hunter. Do that and you'll get the feel for the class. 

Take the whole weekend/week or weeks to do and site back and enjoy.

OR

level 1 and do eveyr q in every zone until you get the loremaster for that zone. You'll know the class by the end of it. 

PS avoid heirlooms. 

Edited by Banard

Level 100 is already past WoD. A boosted character sends you to a short tutorial scenario (5 to 10 minutes) and then directly to the beginning of the Legion questline.

The difficult part to assess is when he said: "I kinda just don't get it". I have no good advice for such a vague blank statement, and it is indeed prone to "noob" judgements, but I still think it's rude to mock him with the facepalms.

I do agree that any "advice" to level up faster completely misses the point if he already has a boosted level 100.

Alright man, you want a real feel for the class and to have a fun story? Literally start out from scratch, pick the race you like the most and feels best suits the hunter class. And when you hit level 10, pick the spec you like the idea of the most.

Do you want to be a silent, standalone killing machine with just a bow or gun? Pick Marksmanship

Do you want to have two great big pets following you at all times and rushing in and doing all the killing while you control them? Pick Beast Mastery

Do you want to get up close with your pet and attack the target from both sides with an array of fast strikes while simultaneously trapping them and preventing them from moving? Pick survival.

Then avoid the heirlooms, avoid the dungeons (if you want a REAL feel of your class and enjoying the story, dungeons make you level too fast and you end up skipping zones), and just go through the quests and have fun doing what you think a hunter in YOUR MIND should do!

Then when you hit 100 and it's time to choose your artifact, you know what you want and where to go from there.

In terms of pets, they're all the same in terms of damage now. Pick tenacity for leveling in the world, and ferocity for dps in dungeons (don't forget to keep growl off in dungeons!). Just go with whatever pet you like the most. I like my wolves so I run with the fenryr skin allllll the time.

I think Banard makes the best point in saying to either go 100 and just pick what you like the most, or go back to level 1 and just start right from scratch. It's what I'm doing with my second hunter to really get a feel of it - I've even gone SV because I love the feel of it but am way too behind on my main to bother getting it up and just like the way it feels at low level.

• Like 1

The 100 is on a different server, I play the new one for the raiding guild I am in.  And.,.. Why to avoid Heirlooms?

I boosted to 100, mainly for the sweet  crafting boost too.... They changed a lot of the skills I was used to, thus I am a bit lost. 

Does it make sense to change specc for dungeons?

I will have fun with it, the one way or the other :D 

7 hours ago, mastapetz said:

The 100 is on a different server, I play the new one for the raiding guild I am in.  And.,.. Why to avoid Heirlooms?

I boosted to 100, mainly for the sweet  crafting boost too.... They changed a lot of the skills I was used to, thus I am a bit lost. 

Does it make sense to change specc for dungeons?

I will have fun with it, the one way or the other :D 

Heirlooms give you a tonne of xp and make you really OP, which is great if you want to get through everything as fast as possible, but it means you'll do 10 quests into a zone, get a dungeon pop, and by the time you're out you're pretty much done with that zone.

Change pet spec back to ferocity for highest dps, but in terms of your character's spec, just stick to what you enjoy the most - you'll always perform better in the spec you enjoy the most.

Well, I prefer being fast at 100 with that hunter. I take the slow walk around with a DK and a Shaman,  (The story I really want to experience again Starts with WotLK anyway .... just the thought of grinding around in Outlands makes my skin crawl)

Yeah, if you want just chuck on heirlooms til you hit 70 then smash out wotlk without them, would be a nice feeling. Howling Fjord was one of my all time favourite areas, would love to do the same.