FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Smoothyy

What did I do right/wrong? Frost logs

Hi,

I tried frost yesterday for the first time(legion) and wanted to know, if my "playstyle" is right, or if I'm doing typical mistakes in general.

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QLkKBCm36qYb1RxT

Things I especially want to know:

-is the BoS uptime good?

-when to use HRW? early so its up earlier again or later for longer uptime?

-I don't really know if the opener was right, but I hope it was. winter -> 2x obliterate -> BoS (I guess I have to use HB for the dot as first ability)

-Is razorice mainhand a thing again? I honestly never was a fan of crusader mainhand but it was better at a certain point in WoD

-Should I try to get the HoV-onUse-trinket to improve BoS or is a high statstick also good?

I'm aware that I made pretty big mistakes:

-Gul'dan first breath was pretty short

-Botanist BoS was just non-existent

-Froststrike at skorpyron BoS was not intended

Also, I know that my gear isn't really made for frost. Its just unholy gear with different legendaries(have none for frost yet). I didn't even change the gems/enchants at ring/neck. It was just all about rotation and getting into BoS. It was just a farm run but again, all about the rotation.

EDIT: The icy guide says 20% Crit > All other stats are almost equal. Does that mean as long as I can keep 20% crit, only Ilvl counts?

EDIT2: When should I use BoS in every of the fights? When hero pops or when adds spawn? Asked this myself at Aluriel, because we start with heroism at the start of the fight but I used BoS on the first adds without hero. More cleave, less uptime because of missing hero.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Smoothyy

1 hour ago, Smoothyy said:

-is the BoS uptime good?

Considering your lack of Frost legendaries, yes! very good.

-when to use HRW? early so its up earlier again or later for longer uptime?

Best practice is to wait as long as you can on first application, especially with your group (short fights = less chance of another BoS).

-I don't really know if the opener was right, but I hope it was. winter -> 2x obliterate -> BoS (I guess I have to use HB for the dot as first ability)

The dot isn't 'that' important, I generally wait for the first Rime to apply it.

-Is razorice mainhand a thing again? I honestly never was a fan of crusader mainhand but it was better at a certain point in WoD

Yes, mainly due to speed of application, it gets the debuff on the target faster than offhand.

-Should I try to get the HoV-onUse-trinket to improve BoS or is a high statstick also good?

You may find a gain, but analysing your gear would indicate that a stat stick is working well for you right now.

EDIT: The icy guide says 20% Crit > All other stats are almost equal. Does that mean as long as I can keep 20% crit, only Ilvl counts?

At your gear level I would say look for +STR on gear, some people are stacking mastery with good results (your legendaries are pretty much stat sticks which shows in your numbers) but anything you get at a higher ilvl will improve your numbers due to being above all the softcaps.

Hopefully you will get a legendary that allows you to drop Horn of Winter and go Freezing Fog instead... but do try testing with Freezing Fog if you get chance even if it is a loss on BoS uptime.

Thanks for the reply!

About the HoW and FF thing:

I just simmed my char and HoW sims with 740k, while FF sims with 735k. But looking at the damage sources also tells me that BoS ticks 129,4 times with HoW and only 104,8 times with FF, which is a significant difference. But, thanks to FF, HB deals more damage. If there is no big difference, I would prefer HoW over FF, just because of uptime. I personally hope for wrist/ring as legy to improve the uptime of BoS even more, maybe with one of these I can switch to FF without noticing less uptime.

Edit: Edited the topic, got 1 more question.

Edited by Smoothyy

I would say the only reason to ever delay BoS from the pull is when you have predictable add spawns near the start of the fight ... like Spellblade as you mentioned.

Otherwise this decision is the 'X' factor to really high parses, your tactics as a group and group ability level will dictate the choice more than following a best practice guide that is less specific.

If you look at the videos by this guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnxuNm7AJAzQHoMTyJK0M7g/videos

He has some fairly good runs and gives some tactical information as commentary.

The question on delay often comes down to ... how fast do my guild kill this boss? (harder for progression bosses) can I get 3 casts of BoS in this time?

If no, then you have some flexibility on delay, but if the answer is yes, then in general I'd say aim to get 3 casts and do not delay for mechanics.