FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Peelyon

Flexible Raiding

So now it's live I wanted share my thoughts on flexible raiding.

We managed to discuss it before launch about the varying item levels and lockouts, and while I don't think they have perhaps found the perfect situation just yet (regarding LFR ilvls as well etc), I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.

I have found myself stuck in limbo since 5.1 not managing to have the time to commit to a full raid schedule and yet as an average player LFR gives me no satisfaction whatsoever.

A bit problem for myself and LFR was that my first experiences of a lot of bosses was the really nerfed simplistic versions of the fights (if you can call them fights!).

Now for the majority of decent raiders, normal mode isn't really a challenge and I do respect that, but there are a number of guilds and groups that do have to progress steadily through normal content rather than managing to clear in the first week or two of the launch.

For these sort of guilds and more social ones that are wanting to perhaps begin their raiding teams I think flex raiding will prove to be extremely successful.

Like I mentioned I havent raided in a true sense for 6 months, and not being able to commit to a number of raid nights per week, flex raiding will give me a chance to see the content at a more competitive level (as in not being able to just AFK for the entire encounter like LFR), with a set group.  The fact that I may not be able to turn up one week due to real life commitments won't affect the main group or cause them to cancel the raid or PUG etc.

For guilds that take their time with normal progression it can give them a much easier insight into the mechanics of a boss (yet again I understand for more experience players that is never a problem anyway but there are plenty of players out there who do struggle).

So after my experience of the first wing last night I just wanted to give flexible raids a big thumbs up.

For players like me who havent got the time I can finally enjoy the content at an "ok" competitive standard.

Already a number of my ex guildies who have quit the game might even be inclined to come back for the odd evening here and there, which is great news for me!

Just thought I'd thank Stoove for letting me tag along with his guild (who without I wouldn't have hadany friends to raid with tongue.png)

• Like 1

Totally agree!  From September to October, i'm too busy to raid on a normal basis.  The flex raiding is really nice right now for my social guild.  We are a west coast guild but have several east coast players.  As the night grows late for the east coasters they can drop out as needed and the west coasters can come in whenever they hop on.  It's not super challenging but is WAY better than ever messing with LFR :)

We had our first raid last night. We did a 15 flex first, then killed through Sha the remaining couple of hours. I do like that it offers the benefits of adding and subtracting players. That's a really good thing. We started the flex with 12, and added players as we went.

I do think *some* of the mechanics were too nerfed to really be in between LFR and normal.

I do think *some* of the mechanics were too nerfed to really be in between LFR and normal.

I think there's a definite difference between LFR and flex in the difficulty though and thats the main thing for me.

Not being able to raid normal mode I want to have some experience of the bosses and the content without literally being gifted the achievement.

I think the more widely used Flex becomes the better it will be.  I just hope they somehow sort the gear distribution for it in the next expansion.

Flex has been an amazing tool for our guild.  Our normal mode schedule is Wed. Thurs... so we Flex on Tues.  We feel it gave us some legit experience with toned down mechanics that LFR's just doesn't give.  Also, in the bigger picture, we were able to take along many players who don't normally get to raid, or never have in the past, therefore greatly increasing the interest in raiding as a whole in our guild.  We also feel that since we can give immediate raid spots to new players, our recruiting will be easier in the future.  In fact, there has been so much excitement and buzz from our first Tues. night Flex, we've already added a second Sat. night Flex to the calendar... and I've gotten many questions about a second regular mode team, or converting to 25man.  Pretty exciting stuff for week one of a patch.  I also give it a thumbs up.

• Like 1

I think the ability to draft in potential recruits, fringe players who perhaps havent played for a while (so are undergeared or under skilled) and not worry about having to swap out regular raiders is a real plus!

Anyone had any other positive stories or even any negatives?