PinkLuigi

Underperforming at i900 Enhancement

Sign in to follow this  

5 posts in this topic

I know shamans are kinda messed up right now, what else is new.
But I'm up to 900 and my already underwhelming DPS has seen no significant increase. I'm pretty sure it's tied to my low haste rating, but I'd like to make sure and see if it's just that or something else I can work to change.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/tichondrius/nimbonya

I'll Sim around 760k, This week I got 630k on Krosus, going up to 900k on Skorp and Tich.
I feel like this is all far too low, one of our top dps is a warlock at i897 and often easily goes 900k and up just on single target.
I could really use some help figuring out what I've done wrong and what I could improve.

My usual priority rotation works as follows:
>Maintain Landslide/Flametongue/Hailstorm
>Doom winds when off CD and Stormbringer proc'd.
>Stormstrike when proc'd
>LavaLash when proc'd
>Stormstrike when off CD
>Lavalash when 90+ Maelstrom
>Rockbiter when -90 Maelstrom
Feral Spirit-Crash Lightning combo and Doom Winds I'll sometimes delay if there's an add/burn phase, and I have a habit of refreshing Flametongue and Hailstorm on CD if I don't have any procs. I'll also occasionally mismanage Maelstrom and need to do 2-3 Rockbiters to get back up to speed.

My opener consists of: Prolonged Power>Feral Spirit>Rockbiter>Crash Lightning>Flametongue>Frostbrand>Stormstrike

Edited by PinkLuigi

I don't know much about Shamans, I can however give you a few general pointers:

• Simulationcraft runs simulations based on your current stats/gear/talents. So if you have 10% haste, it will simulate and shows the final DPS result with that 10% haste.
  •  
  • Simulationcraft only runs simulations in a patchwerk style environment. This means an environment where you don't have to move around at all (100% time spent on boss) and only single-target.
  •  
  • Comparing DPS with other people is best done when you compare with the highest match; If you play an Enhancement Shaman, it's best to compare it with another Enhancement Shaman (Preferably also the same Legendaries). On this point it is worth it to emphasize that comparing with other melee DPS is much more valuable than comparing with ranged DPS. This is because some bosses have mechanics that favor melee DPSers and vice versa.
  • Furthermore, the "match" isn't always consistent. Sometimes you get unlucky and have to disengage from the boss several times while your "95% match" can stay on the boss all the time (For example, Krosus Orb for mages, if one mage gets it 3x in a row and the other gets it 0x)

It is expected for your DPS to be lower on Krosus than it is on Simcraft, you have to move back and soak and do damage on adds, these are all deviations from the simulation where you just stick to the boss and nuke it down. However, since my expertise isn't on Shamans, I can't tell you what is an acceptable drop from the most ideal situation (your ~19% seems reasonably steep, but again, not my expertise)

One other thing I can recommend to you if you really want to maximize your improvements, is to go find a dummy and do your own simulation as closely as simcraft does, and then compare statistics. Not necessarily only on total DPS, but also on abilities used and how often, see if you can get that as close to the simulation as possible (Not always the case because procs will always be RNG). This way, you will find out if you can do the rotation properly in a "controlled environment". You can usually learn a lot from that.

Anything specific to Enhancement Shamans, I'll leave up to much more capable people. :)

Where is Doom Winds in your opening rotation?

Beyond that, first step to improvement is gearing, you are very haste starved right now.  You're using 1 bad trinket, Tirathon's Betrayal, and one super haste hungry trinket, Frond; while using the legendaries Akainu/EOTN with HH/HS talents which is also a super haste hungry spec/build. You need to get the tier cloak and replace those tier gloves with the ones from Trilliax (Coin him each week).  I'd personally say your first and foremost priority is to get rid of that first trinket Tirathon's Betrayal, and get the best trinket for us, Blood Thirsty Instinct from Ursoc.  After that, try to aim for different legendaries so you can spec out of HH/HS and back to BF/AS.

Second step is to use one of those rotation helper addons to help you keep your buffs up and tell you when to SS.  I suggest TellMeWhen addon from Curse and the Chesder profile for TellMeWhen which you can google.  If you are also using Warcraft Logs to track your raiding performance, try out another site called CheckMyWoW, which will tell you how you did based on procs and buffs.  Super helpful stuff.

Anyway, best of luck fellow Enh shaman.

Regards,

Fang

11 hours ago, TornadoFang said:

Where is Doom Winds in your opening rotation?

Beyond that, first step to improvement is gearing, you are very haste starved right now.  You're using 1 bad trinket, Tirathon's Betrayal, and one super haste hungry trinket, Frond; while using the legendaries Akainu/EOTN with HH/HS talents which is also a super haste hungry spec/build. You need to get the tier cloak and replace those tier gloves with the ones from Trilliax (Coin him each week).  I'd personally say your first and foremost priority is to get rid of that first trinket Tirathon's Betrayal, and get the best trinket for us, Blood Thirsty Instinct from Ursoc.  After that, try to aim for different legendaries so you can spec out of HH/HS and back to BF/AS.

Second step is to use one of those rotation helper addons to help you keep your buffs up and tell you when to SS.  I suggest TellMeWhen addon from Curse and the Chesder profile for TellMeWhen which you can google.  If you are also using Warcraft Logs to track your raiding performance, try out another site called CheckMyWoW, which will tell you how you did based on procs and buffs.  Super helpful stuff.

Anyway, best of luck fellow Enh shaman.

Regards,

Fang

I'd be so lucky as to get gear off these damned bosses. I have very strange luck with loot.
I already have the other Enhance legendaries, Charged Core, Storm Tempest and Uncertain Reminder.
But having been doing Heroic NH for over a month now, haven't gotten a single upgrade despite coining on relevant bosses.
I've been rolling every boss with a trinket and STILL have not managed to replace the Betrayel, I know that's shit.

As far as Doom Winds in opening, That was my mistake, forgot to put it in.
Always comes a step before Stormstriking. Delaying it towards the end of my opener in hopes of getting a Stormbringer proc before.

As it stands now I've got 23% (8,523) Haste and 50% (6,922) Mastery.
I understand that the weights are supposed to be roughly equal. But if you say my haste is dangerously low, am I supposed to be looking at the % and not the hard numbers?

Edited by PinkLuigi

Barring getting good drops between now and reset, try to swap to Uncertain Reminder w/ EOTN and talent swap to Boulderfist and Ancestral Swiftness.

Your rotation will free up and Storm Strike will become the most important ability to use when Storm bringer procs.  You should see a DPS increase.  EDIT:  When you make this swap, Mastery will become your best secondary stat because your haste will go to an acceptable level but without Blood Thirsty Instinct you will still be lacking burst haste procs.  Even a 865 BTI would be better than Tirathon's Betrayal.

Download the newest version of SimCraft and the SimCraft addon from Curse and use them to get your stat weights as they are going to be different for you than for me because our gear is so different.

Edited by TornadoFang