Stan

Artifact Knowledge Cap Lowered to 40

Sign in to follow this  

16 posts in this topic

GUmeBGa.jpg

Yesterday's hotfixes lowered the Artifact Knowledge cap to 40 (down from 50). CM Aerythlea posted some insight on the latest change.

TL;DR

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

Hey all!

Thanks for the discussion so far! I'd like to provide a little more additional insight here on this change as well as a change to highest Artifact Knowledge Compendium.

The Artifact Knowledge cap was raised from 40 to 50 late in Patch 7.2's development as part of a desire to increase overall AP gains. However, after 7.2 launched, we realised it would be better to increase base Artifact Power gains instead of relying on Artifact Knowledge (which takes time for players to research and can make gains earned in the interim not feel as meaningful).

Since 7.2 we have deployed several hotfixes that have increase AP gains in certain areas, one such example is the Elite Strike missions available while the Command Center is active. Now that these changes are live, the acquisition of AP is faster overall, so we felt that 40 is now an appropriate cap for AK and isn't as daunting a prospect to reach.

We also wanted players to have a solid stopping point for AK research, at which point they will have more freedom to focus on their alts.

To that end, the item Artifact Research Compendium: Volumes I-VIIArtifact Research Compendium: Volumes I-VII is being changed to grant Artifact Knowledge level 40 instead of level 35. As before, it will be purchasable in the Order Hall by characters who have reached AK 40. This means that players will be able to immediately catch-up to the AK cap on alts once they have access to this book, which should make the process of getting to Concordance on alts less daunting too.

As always, we welcome your feedback on these changes.
  • Like 1

Do you know if this adjusts the percentages to reflect the lack of 10 levels or is this literally just capping at 40 and keeping the original percent? Just curious, because I definitely felt the increase from 33 to 37 was only like 250K increase each level.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nazamber said:

Do you know if this adjusts the percentages to reflect the lack of 10 levels or is this literally just capping at 40 and keeping the original percent? Just curious, because I definitely felt the increase from 33 to 37 was only like 250K increase each level.

From what I gathered, they just cap it.

11 minutes ago, Nazamber said:

as the Blue post clearly states, 

'we realised it would be better to increase base Artifact Power gains instead of relying on Artifact Knowledge'

so they ARE changing the scale. its NOT just a cap :)

24 minutes ago, Nazamber said:

In this case they are just capping it. They may adjust the base value of AP a bit more, but they don't want people going over AK 40 at least for now. I like this change as it'll make AP plateau after ToS giving time to catch up alts and other specs.

1 hour ago, Nestar said:

as the Blue post clearly states, 

'we realised it would be better to increase base Artifact Power gains instead of relying on Artifact Knowledge'

so they ARE changing the scale. its NOT just a cap :)

I feel that is strange since it feels they are going against what they said themselves about it before:

"We wanted to ensure that players of all playstyles, as well as alt characters, would view the Concordance trait as accessible. However, between the additional Artifact Power gains added in 7.2 and others that were hotfixed in after the patch released, we’re now well ahead of that mark. Knowledge 40 now seems more than sufficient for players to reach Concordance"

Sounds like they wouldn't want to increase it anymore but oh well.

Edited by Arkpit

I don't think it would be much different in terms of ap gain between the old 50 and new 40 due to the new increase of base ap.

The quality of life change is definitely a welcome one. 

In terms of stopping point, they really should look at the necessity of the concordance traits. I know from their point of view the gap between having no point in it and max point in it is small, the fact that it's a proc means it's subjected to RnG, and that small gap to the max potential means that it become some sort of measure of how good a player is, outside of organised raid where people know and trusted each other. Imagine organising a pug raid on say mythic gul dan and two players with different amount of points in the concordance traits, one with single point and another maxed out, it is understandable for the organiser to take the higher point invested one due to the fact that he doesn't know how well both play. My point is, irregardless of how much it influence the final decision, it is unevitably a selling point in its own in an unorganised environment. It's just the same as ilvl conundrum, for example, I had over 900 Ilvl but i knew that's the highest Ilvl u can piece together, in fact, there are still slots where piece as low as Ilvl 865 still able to increase my output over my 920 gear due to the superiority on the major secondary stats.

They really need to phase out the concordance traits, they  need to und that the ap grind has so far been one of the major reason for all top guild that quit raiding, and as far as I know, nobody around me actually fancy the idea of it. Mind you, players I knew in game are hardcore raiders in the past and still strive to be the best as they can be every expansion, even though they're not raiding as much as they once were.

that is something they need to actually put a realistic stopping point and let player move on to alt or secondary spec. (Mind you, to max out one artifact pre concordance is already a time consuming grind, but to grind out all the utilities non dps traits just to access this dps related paragon traits? It just kill off any hope of levelling another artifact if you're a perfectionist or nomadic pugger)

i don't like the idea of the paragon traits. Really.

So, if I had more than 40 AK levels, and we're capped for the moment at 40, do I get a refund of the overage as to apply it to other alts? 

31 minutes ago, Karma said:

So, if I had more than 40 AK levels, and we're capped for the moment at 40, do I get a refund of the overage as to apply it to other alts? 

You cant be. I started the day the patch came out and im still like 2-3 levels off so no one can already have AK40.

Edited by Mallicor

4 hours ago, Karma said:

That is impossible. You are no higher than 38 right now, probably 37. I don't even think 38 is currently possible, but I did not start new orders immediately and missed at least 36 hours total so far, so maybe. I just know you haven't hit 40 for sure.

Edited by Sharknad0

22 hours ago, Sharknad0 said:

That is impossible. You are no higher than 38 right now, probably 37. I don't even think 38 is currently possible, but I did not start new orders immediately and missed at least 36 hours total so far, so maybe. I just know you haven't hit 40 for sure.

I... I think that guy made two accounts to talk to himself...

This is annoying to be sure but I understand not wanting to rely on AK for AP.  I just hope they figure out the ratio before it causes too much trouble.

I'm currently at 38 with 3 characters. But here's the message when you try to get further:

"Why can't i research Artifact Knowledge?"

"We have reached the maximum artifact knowledge available to us at this time."

I submitted a ticket to see what's up, here's part of the response:

"The Development team wants all player to be able to explore and find all the secretes out on their, which is why you are not able to give out game play hints." Got some links which led me here, but apparently to get to 40 will require more than just going to your class hall.

Does anyone know how to get past level 38?

Edited by edrac

Im 39... with 40 on the way. Didn't have to do anything for it. You are prolly 38. with 2 on the way.... thats why you cant research anymore... bc that would put you at 41

Edited by Xaroset

Doh! Of course I had two more in the queue! I guess I got confused by the message and forgot about the two. It's too bad there's no way to know how much more time before they pop.

On 6/4/2017 at 9:48 PM, edrac said:

Doh! Of course I had two more in the queue! I guess I got confused by the message and forgot about the two. It's too bad there's no way to know how much more time before they pop.

You can check it in your order hall summary window. It will tell you how long until you can pick it up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

Two weeks ago, Blizzard started the PvP Like a Pro series, where they talk to world best Arena players. The first part was about finding the right partners and the second discussed team composition. Part 3 is devoted to effective practicing.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Part 3 - Practicing Effectively
      Minpojke of team Northern Gaming Blue has achieved rank one in Arena every season since 2011. His current squad has been playing together for more than two years, and came third in the Global Finals at BlizzCon 2016. With his help, we’ve built a five-step guide to help you practice like a pro!
      Synergy - Align Your Team
      Before setting out on your quest to the top, make sure you’re “aligned as a team,” says Minpojke. Like in any group activity, “it’s very important that everyone has the same goals and the same drive to do what it takes to win.” Make sure your team shares similar ambitions, and is aligned on how much effort will be required to achieve them. And of course, make sure you have similar gaming schedules so you can play and practice together!
      Atmosphere - Stay Positive
      It’s important to have a good atmosphere while playing. Minpojke says, “If you and your group get along and even become friends, you’ll like playing and actually learn more as well.” Be sure that the mood stays positive so that you can enjoy competing and improving together. It’s much easier to keep a team motivated if you’re all having fun—it’s a game after all!
      Stated more simply, Minpojke says, “It’s easy to win as a team—in the sense that it’s easy to be happy and celebrate—but if you’re capable of losing together, then you’ll be a great team.”
      Strategy - Know the Meta
      When it comes to making practice effective, Minpojke feels it’s a priority to stay up to date with the current meta. He told us that the best way to do this is to follow tournaments, high-level Arena streams, and the PvP Leaderboards to see which classes are on top.
      “It’s quite easy to keep up with the meta. Watch streams to see what the pros are playing, and track the ladder to see which classes and compositions are at the top. And don’t forget to follow tournaments to see the best comps shine.” Once you’re confident in what you want to play, it’s time to queue up! As FabsS discussed in our previous interview, Minpojke says that it’s important to set your win condition before the gates open. “Ask what you want to achieve as a team; will you focus on a lot of CC or try to draw out the game longer?” Since you know what matchup you’ll be playing against, you can start to ask these questions and develop your strategy.
      Analysis - Review Your Games
      If your setup supports it, Minpojke recommends recording as many sessions as you can—they’re much more valuable then looking at a damage meter. He says that the first objective is to see if you followed your game plan. Did you stick to it? Did it work? If the answer to either of these questions is no, you need to work on executing the plan better in future or possibly changing it up all together.
      Watching your own recordings is also a chance to highlight individual mistakes. As Minpojke says, “Always stay self-critical, and always look for ways to improve—you’ll notice pretty quickly your most crucial and common mistakes.” While Minpojke emphasizes that “losing is arguably the best way of learning,” he also reminded us that “it’s very important to recognize when you do well.” Think positively here: no one can play the perfect game, but there are often good takeaways to be emulated going forward.
      Reviewing recordings of his gameplay is a regular part of Minpojke’s routine, as well as discussing previous matches with his team between games while queueing. You can learn from a win as well as a loss!
      Execute - Implement Your Analysis
      After watching the replays, it’s time to set your goals. Decide what you want to focus on, and “make plans before you queue for a session.” If there was a specific matchup you were struggling with, you can discuss plans for how you’ll react to it next time.
      In some instances, it could be worth writing some notes, especially if you have many things to focus on versus many compositions. Minpojke equated it to studying for a test, “Practice it, and read it over and over until it sticks in your head.”
      Minpojke attended his first BlizzCon with current teammate Zunniyaki in 2013, finishing in second place. Northern Gaming Blue are the defending European Champions, and with nine BlizzCon appearances between their players, they’re one of the most experienced rosters in the field.
      You can watch Minpojke and Northern Gaming Blue compete live at gamescom from August 23-26. For the full details on when and where you can watch, head on over to our European Championship Finals blog.
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Army of the Light Reputation Farming guide.
    • By Stan

With 7.3 on the horizon, Blizzard did an official preview of new caster animations with videos and developer comments.
      Blizzard (Source)
      With patch 7.3 on the horizon, we thought it was time to share some updates to combat animations for several casting classes. Similar to what we did with the melee classes at the launch of Legion, these updates are all about priests, mages, Restoration and Elemental shaman, and some additional refinements to Restoration druid casting animations! We’re also continuing to work on even more enhancements for additional classes at a later point in development.
      A little over two years ago, we set our sights on revamping combat animations. The team has wanted to renovate it somehow, but what exactly does that mean? To determine the answer, our development leadership put together a small group of people to come up with a prototype of what we thought could use some cleaning up. You are currently experiencing the fruits of this work with the new melee animations. Our final goal was to create new melee moves that would make the game feel better, but not change how the game was played. During this prototype phase, we also came up with a plan for casters, but didn’t have time to put it into production until now. Let’s dig into some of the things we did.
      We hope you enjoyed this behind-the-scenes look at the new caster visual updates. We had lots of fun creating all these animations and effects and look forward to hearing your thoughts on them.
    • By Stan

In Patch 7.3, Blizzard will be increasing the difficulty and rewards from dungeons across the board. The changes help keep dungeons relevant even at the end of the expansion.
      The following changes will be effective when Patch 7.3 goes live:
      Normal Difficulty
      Item level 845 (up from 825). Heroic Difficulty
      Item level 865 (up from 845). Mythic Difficulty
      Item level 885 (up from 865). Mythic Keystone
      Loot item level will be increased only after Antorus the Burning Throne raid opens. World Bosses
      Loot from old world bosses remains at 860. Loot from Broken Shore world bosses remains at 900. Loot from Argus world bosses in Greater Invasion Points is at 930.
    • By Stan

Our returing player guide is stuffed with relevant information for players that haven't played WoW for a  while and they'd like to give it a go in 7.3.
      If you haven't played WoW for a while, we have a guide for you with all relevant information.
      The main goal of the guide is to keep it short and simple.
      General Tips
      In Patch 7.3, the 3rd relic slot will be unlocked immediately once you reach 110 and there's no need to complete individual campaigns all over again. (Source) You can forget about the Broken Shore content. Artifact Knowledge is now shared. All player start at AK Level 41 and will automatically gain 1 AK Level per week. Only one new Legendary item is added in 7.3. Any player that defeats Argus the Unmaker can get Insignia of the Grand Army. It's rewarded from the quest called The Death of a Titan. More details about the Netherlight Crucible can be found here. Two new factions are added in Patch 7.3: Argussian Reach & Army of the Light, both having new emissary quests. A new Heirloom with an interesting affix was added to the game.  Man'ari Training Amulet. Sacrifice 10% HP to gain 40% increased movement speed for 10 seconds. There are no plans to enable Draenor flying for those that haven't unlocked Draenor Pathfinder. Patch 7.3 Content Rollout
      Not all 7.3 content will be available on day 1.From the latest developer Q/A, the content rollout should look like this:
      Week 1
      Krokuun and the first two chapters of the Argus story will unlock.   Players will be able to unlock Krokuun World Quests. Week 2
      The second Argus zone Mac'Aree will become available and with it the third and fourth chapter of the Argus story. Once you progress through those chapters, you will gain access to Mac'aree World Quests, Kil'jaeden's Terrace World Quests and Western Mac'Aree World Quests. Invasion Points will also open. Week 3
      The last week marks the opening of Argus's last zone, Antoran Wastes. Players will gain access to Antoran Wastes World Quests, the Netherlight Crucible and the new dungeon - Seat of the Triumvirate. All you need to know at this point is that Argus has three zones and once you finish the story in each zone, you will gain access to world quests.
      Reputation Catch-up
      We datamined two Bind-to-Account items related to reputation catch-up with Broken Isles & Argus factions. Sources remain unknown for now. Nathrezim Tome of Manipulation increases rep gains with Broken Isles factions by 200% for 2 hours. The item's intended for alts and doesn't work past level 109. Demon's Soulstone can only be used on Argus and the item increases your reputation standing by 1,000 with all factions. It's good for catching up reputation with the Nightfallen. Gear Catch-up
      New Relinquished items are being added in 7.3 with a base item level of 910. (Source) All items can be purchased for 650 Veiled Argunite (a new currency from Argus World Quests). Crafted gear is now ilvl 885 and can be upgraded with Primal Sargerite via Primal Obliterum up to item level 935. Old crafted gear can't be upgraded.You can disenchant it into Chaos Crystal. There's a new shoulder enchant on Argus that will help you farm Primal Sargerite. More information can be found here. Dungeons have had their ilvl increased by 20 item levels on every difficulty. Normal: ilvl 845 (was 825) Heroic: ilvl 865 (was 845) Mythic: ilvl 885 (was 865) World Quest rewards scale up to item level 895. (Source) With the introduction of the Netherlight Crucible, you can now target specific relic types. Antorus the Burning Throne
      The raid won't open immediately with 7.3, but at a later point (probably in Patch 7.3.5). Once Antorus opens, Legendary items will have a base item level of 1,000. (Source) For more information about Patch 7.3, check out our Argus hub.