FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Cereberus

Frost DK looking for DPS tips

Whats up everyone. Hoping someone can understand logs and gearing better than me, and help get to the bottom of my DPS woes.

Here's all the pertinent info about me.

Gearing and Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/whisperwind/imnotdedyet

As far as rotation, I stick pretty close to the Sindragosa established rotation. I open with Remorseless Winter followed by Howling Blast. Due to the Lego, I use RW as soon as off CD as long as I remember. PoF and my trinket get used when off CD, and I try time my Breath everytime i pop the trinket to maximize damage.

I think that is all the info I need to give, please let me know. Where my disconnect is on understanding is based completely off of Logs rankings and iLevel. When I sim my character, I am typically within 50-80k dps or so...close enough that I am comfortable with how I am playing. And yet when compared to similar iLevel DK's i am sub-20% in rankings. Is it simply just a stat/gear issue or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Im going to compare our logs on heroic star augur:

I got 100% rank on it on my kill, it was a 3min 15 second fight: 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HKjXhbznrT7qcy13#fight=22&type=damage-done&source=19

You got a 20% rank on your kill, lasting just 5 min. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/XK3AxBPyczCrb7D1#fight=7&type=damage-done&source=9

First off: despite my fight being WAY shorter i managed to fit in 2 sindragosa's fury, you should've atleast been able to fit 2 in. Same for your breath - on a 5+ minute fight you really should have been able to fit in 3 breaths and it's a massive loss that you didnt. Even without convergence or legendary ring you could have made your 2nd breath without HRW and your 3rd with. Same thing for your pillar of frost - you should've been able to fit at the very least 5 of them in during the kill, but you only got 4 - so it wasn't user on CD properly. You need to plan out the fight based on your estimated guess of the length of it and where to use your CDs. It's so vital with the breath buil.d
The biggest pointer to me tho is the amount of abilities fit in - i have more obliterates and same amount of HB cast in a 2 minute shorter fight - either you  APM is super low or you haste ratings are suboptimal. 

Let's also briefly look on average dmg of howling blast, my average hit is for more than a million, that's over twice your average dmg of 450k. This is NOT just a matter of 10 item levels - but the matter of having mastery gear and using howling blast relics. Howling blast relics are SO much better than other relics that they are worth a tremendous amount of item level. 

6 hours ago, Browed said:

Just a hunch here... are you a clicker or keybinder?

I am a keybinder. I actually use a Razer Naga, so all my keybinds are direct to the mouse.

@vac  Thanks for the input. As far as Sindragosa, i have been going back and forth on that. A lot of fights I will go in, thinking I need to hold off for Hero or some optimal timing to pop it, rather than hit it right away and let Crystalline Swords knock teh CD down and use it multiple times.

I have been meaning to set up a Weak Aura for PoF to ensure I am more accurately hitting it on CD, but haven't made the time yet. I was not aware of the power of HB relics over iLevel relics, so I will definately pay attention to this now. As far as stat weights, what are the actual percentage values I should be workign towards? So far I Sim my character everytime I upgrade equipment, and change my Pawn strings based on what Simcraft spits out and recommends.

Thanks guys! To add to my frustration...I was hitting about 720k DPS on Tich last night...and still only about 30% for my gear bracket. wtf?

1 hour ago, Cereberus said:

Thanks guys! To add to my frustration...I was hitting about 720k DPS on Tich last night...and still only about 30% for my gear bracket. wtf?

The other DK in your raid has Blast Radius 6, and has more Crit, despite being less geared overall.

You spent a good bit of time during the fight Runic Power capped.

Also your neck's not enchanted.

13 hours ago, Cereberus said:

I am a keybinder. I actually use a Razer Naga, so all my keybinds are direct to the mouse.

@vac  Thanks for the input. As far as Sindragosa, i have been going back and forth on that. A lot of fights I will go in, thinking I need to hold off for Hero or some optimal timing to pop it, rather than hit it right away and let Crystalline Swords knock teh CD down and use it multiple times.

I have been meaning to set up a Weak Aura for PoF to ensure I am more accurately hitting it on CD, but haven't made the time yet. I was not aware of the power of HB relics over iLevel relics, so I will definately pay attention to this now. As far as stat weights, what are the actual percentage values I should be workign towards? So far I Sim my character everytime I upgrade equipment, and change my Pawn strings based on what Simcraft spits out and recommends.

Sindragosa's fury doesn't scale of haste anyways so timing it with lust makes very little sense. Just pop it like 10 seconds into the fight when you have popped your pillar and is about to use breath and got the 5x razorice stacks rolling. With regards to PoF it shouldn't be too hard just to press it once every minute, meaning every other is ready with breath. In order to get good logs you need to get HB relics (a HB relic is still better at like 25-30 ilvls lower than amberdextity ones) and need the convergence of fate to make every breath reliably good with HRWs. Also you can't read too much into heroic logs - most of the top logs are in a WAY better grp, meaning the boss dies super faast, they can chese dmg on adds, heck they can even pull trash with boss and it still counts on logs. To add to this they have optimal gear setup - thats mean legendary ring + wrist/belt , proper trinkets depending on the fights - a good set of stats, a good estimate is 20% haste, 25% crit and dumb the rest to mastery. 

23 hours ago, Cereberus said:

I'm not saying that you're making this mistake, but for the benefit of readers I should point out that the percentile bracket (and overall bracket) are not % of dps required to rank #1 for your ilvl.

The % is the number of logs submitted including people at your ilvl who did better dps.

For example, I parse a log at 100k dps as the only person submitting I get rank #1 (100%). 99 players at my ilvl log 105k the next day.

I am now 1% of bracket performance, not because I did terrible dps but because I did slightly lower than a lot of others.

I do not need to log 10mil dps to get that +99%.. I need 110k.

As you will see if you analyse the top 10 - 50 ranks.

Someone in #2 can be doing a 70% of the top log...

Your Tichondrious dps only needs to be 1.1 mil to get a top 100 ranking for your ilvl bracket.

That's vastly simplified, but I thought worth mentioning regardless. 

Don't let poor percentages get you down... yes, try to improve but that is part of the nature of the game, small incremental changes over time, refining of tactics, gear drops, rotation knowledge etc... it comes if you are dedicated to your (war)craft.

Edited by Browed
  • Like 1

So I have been trying to dig up any information since 7.2.5 hit about the Sindragosa build...but as far as I can find, it seems nothing has changed as far as optimal build?

Is this correct?