FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Bael

Str vs Haste when choosing upgrades

I recently decided to upgrade a 496 belt drop from the Isle to timeless.  My current belt is 502, and this new belt 535.  I gain around 500str + ilvl, but willl lose 1.12% haste. 

Worth?  I know that I've read don't pass up an ilvl upgrade just because you lose haste, but that's a pretty big drop to gain only 500str.

Edited by Bael

Assuming you are Ret spec...

Something to consider... It takes 476 points of Haste to equal 1.12%.  Considering that in general, at that item level, Strength and Haste are considered almost equal, your still a little ahead on the new piece with 500str.  If we look a little further, Askmrrobot will give you stat weights more in favor of Str at 4.85 compared to Haste at only 3.  Also, I'm sure there is another stat on your new piece you could probably reforge to recover some haste, not to mention the other stats, including raw armor rating that makes you less squishy, will be higher.

However, the best simplest solution would be to just go to the Askmrrobot.com website and just see if it's an upgrade or not.

Edited by Darkkonan

The new belt is actually pretty bad stats wise, literally only has +1200~ hit, which is why I was hesitant about using it.  Yes, I can reforge haste to get some of it back, so I decided to use it. 

I used Mr Robot while trying to figoure out my gear choices, but the thing which threw me off about it was the best in bags feature.  When choosing that, the gear set up the app makes seems completely off to me.  With the build it makes I end up having +4.87% mastery while losing 404 str and 2.08% haste.  Mastery really ends up doing a lot of ret's damage it seems, but when you're not able to just sit on a target with no downtime I don't see mastery outweighing that much str/haste.  Not to mention the stats order str>haste>mastery after caps.  Switching targets while on the move I tend to use judgement/exo first then once I'm in melee range I can use abilties that proc mastery.  Then there is trinket choice, instead of using my upgraded Spark of the Zandalari it chooses upgraded Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun.  According to the BiS list provided on this site Spark > Feather. 

I'm just a little hesitant to spend valor on upgrading pieces that are just sitting in my bank to achieve ~2000 mr robot score.  I just got back into wow within the past couple months so my ilvl is only 520 at the moment.  I am trying to get myself to a decent ilvl and apply to guilds that work on progression on my server instead of just doing LFR or OQueue.

Edited by Bael