FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Skeletonfish

When to shoot for haste breakpoints - Affliction

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker and have enjoyed the wisdom of these pages for a long time and all the effort a lot of you put in to enlightening the Lock community.  

I was wondering about what gear level does the 9778 Haste breakpoint become something to shoot for?  I feel where I'm at I'm hurting myself too much by gimping my mastery.

Wow Profile;

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Derider/simple

If I am too low and for the time being achieving a better balance of mastery / haste is more beneficial, then what stat weights would be wise to use?

Much appreciated in advance!

The general rule I follow is I aim for a breakpoint if and only if I can reach it without my mastery going below 1.5k-2k less than my haste. That is, if I'm going for the 9778 breakpoint, I want to make sure my mastery won't go under about 8k. When I finally go for the 13k breakpoint, I'm gonig to want to do it without my mastery being below 11.5kish. 

The only issue with your gear getting there right now is that the Timeless gear lacks sockets. If you had even 530s in place of those 535s, you'd have more than enough secondary stats to push it.

Thanks for the reply.  The next important breakpoint would be 6637 then correct, unless I've missed something.  So for now achieve that at least and then pump mastery.  Once I get a better balance of secondary stats, shoot for the 9778.

Although I agree on the lack of gem sockets in the Timeless gear, I thought that we usually want our Haste and Mastery to be almost equal, if not fairly close.

Also need to factor in Blessing of Might, that makes your Mastery about 600 rating behind your haste. In my opinion I would say you should be fine in terms of dpsing with that gear.

Although I agree on the lack of gem sockets in the Timeless gear, I thought that we usually want our Haste and Mastery to be almost equal, if not fairly close.

Also need to factor in Blessing of Might, that makes your Mastery about 600 rating behind your haste. In my opinion I would say you should be fine in terms of dpsing with that gear.

The closer you get to a haste breakpoint without hitting it, the more valuable that stat becomes. Haste and mastery need to be relatively balanced. You don't want one at 10k and one at 5k, but his armory with reforging now shows him at 9k mastery and the 6637 cap, which is about the point he needs to start picking up more haste to keep a balance until the next cap, IMO.

Yah I flipped it to the earlier breakpoint.  It shows me as destro, just because I'm messing around with it atm.  But I'm definitely affliction since I enjoy it the most.

I appreciate your inputs guys, it means a lot!

Sorry to resurrect, but was wondering what your thoughts might be on this;

Would it be worthwhile to drop 15% mastery to get to the 9778 breakpoint?  I'm sitting at Ilevel 531 but most of it is the new Timeless Isle stuff so not a great mix of secondary stats.

I'm running some simcrafts in the background today, but not sure I'm doing it correctly.

With as little as you have for a secondary stat budget, I don't know that I would do that. I like keeping mastery above haste so that DoTs hit nice and hard. For you, going for the 9778 breakpoint would mean dropping your mastery way under your haste, which I'm not a fan of. I'd just wait until you get more gear, or gear with some sockets, to push 9778 haste.