FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zergex

Help - Affliction.

Hey there fellow Icy-Veins members!

Short story to try to keep everything up to date here, before patch I played destruction (mostly doing pvp in my spare time, but recently started enjoying LFR and now looking into normal raid again, first time in this expansion, quit sometime during cata.).
After patch I went affliction, mostly because it's the playstyle i've always enjoyed the most and with KJC being nerfed I felt like it would bring back some oldschool feeling to the playstyle. 
NOW here's my dilemma, when I read on forums and stuffs on stat prio its mastery>haste, and I use AMR to forge my stats, but it bangs all my mastery up and I don't even land on the 9k haste breaking point, what I'd like to know is, should I just force mastery until I have the proper gear to go for 9k hastet or could you guys enlighten me on something I'm doing wrong with my gear?
Armory Link follows:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/outland/Zergex/advanced

Kind regards
Zergex

Hi smile.png.

Basically with your gear you should go for a lower haste breakpoint and stuff the rest into mastery since mastery is stronger now with 5.4. Go for 6637 (If that's the right one?), rest into mastery. As soon as you can achieve 9778 Haste WITHOUT sacrificing too much mastery, go for that one. I'd say ilvl 530+

Besides that, reforging won't hold your dps back because in the majority of "my dps is too low"-cases it's the playstyle. Good luck !

Edited by Lappenforce

Thanks for the reply, will try to go for the breaking point.
Well it's not a L2P issue for me, played lock since vanilla and i've always had solid dps, its just the stats confusing me atm.
On patch day I went all out haste according to AMR, and my dps felt way low, then I went on my own reforge rampage and went for mastery instead and my dps increased. :)

Thanks for the reply, will try to go for the breaking point.

Well it's not a L2P issue for me, played lock since vanilla and i've always had solid dps, its just the stats confusing me atm.

On patch day I went all out haste according to AMR, and my dps felt way low, then I went on my own reforge rampage and went for mastery instead and my dps increased. smile.png

A lot of people think there is no L2P issue when they've played a Warlock for so long.  Warlocks have been the most volatile class and represent almost NOTHING from their younger years.  If your point of view is to think you have nothing new to learn, then you won't improve much.  Even the top 10 Warlocks continue to learn new ways to do things and play every single raid tier.  There is ALWAYS room to grow and learn.  Haste and Mastery builds have slightly varying playstyles...spend more time at the training dummies than the forums or AMR trying to 'fix' your DPS with secondary stats.

A lot of people think there is no L2P issue when they've played a Warlock for so long.  Warlocks have been the most volatile class and represent almost NOTHING from their younger years.  If your point of view is to think you have nothing new to learn, then you won't improve much.  Even the top 10 Warlocks continue to learn new ways to do things and play every single raid tier.  There is ALWAYS room to grow and learn.  Haste and Mastery builds have slightly varying playstyles...spend more time at the training dummies than the forums or AMR trying to 'fix' your DPS with secondary stats.

Oh how I miss the glass cannon spec from BC or shadow damage spec from Vanilla...

Just reiterating, but you can always find misplays. Even Sparkuggz finds things he can do differently, and he's all too happy to point them out if you ask in the comments on his Youtube, haha. When my guild was doing Lei Shen normal, we were constantly looking at what we did wrong: not communicating on which bouncing bolts to take, etc. I was doing that fine, but five seconds into the fight and you'd hear me on vent: "...Aaaand I already screwed up." What did I do? I pushed two buttons out of order in my opener.

If you're really unsure how to continue improving, Fraps yourself!

Well My dps isnt a "problem", it was the confusion around the stat.

ATM it's nothing new to learn, in my perspective. Some people might find the rotation hard or struggle that's not the issue in my own opinion.

I don't see your post constructive in any way what so ever.

I spent time on the dummy and some PvE aspects to try different things also tried to balance the stats(read some of your other posts and they gave me a lot of insight), I just wanted to know if it was foolish to go mastery with my current setup.

And yeah, warlocks used to be very complex, but they require less in the playstyle itself.

L2P issue and learning a new trick/how to execute a boss with certain strat on your lock to maximize it is different according to me. Didn't say there's nothing new to learn.

I didn't post here because I wanted a "play your warlock like this and that" just a better perspective or opinion if there's anything to change.

As I already stated I spent time on dummies, used excel etc to theorycraft on my own and it seems OK for now.

Edited by Zergex

Hey Kazi, yeah SB spam sacrifice spec was "fun".

Yeah I've noticed a few things and swapped them about, there's always room for improvement.

But ATM I'm taking some prio on mastery until I can reach a haste point without going too far behind on mastery.

Affli is so refreshing to play, bit more fun with new KJc.

I might do that, cheers. :)

Well My dps isnt a "problem", it was the confusion around the stat.

ATM it's nothing new to learn, in my perspective. Some people might find the rotation hard or struggle that's not the issue in my own opinion.

I don't see your post constructive in any way what so ever.

I spent time on the dummy and some PvE aspects to try different things also tried to balance the stats(read some of your other posts and they gave me a lot of insight), I just wanted to know if it was foolish to go mastery with my current setup.

And yeah, warlocks used to be very complex, but they require less in the playstyle itself.

L2P issue and learning a new trick/how to execute a boss with certain strat on your lock to maximize it is different according to me. Didn't say there's nothing new to learn.

I didn't post here because I wanted a "play your warlock like this and that" just a better perspective or opinion if there's anything to change.

As I already stated I spent time on dummies, used excel etc to theorycraft on my own and it seems OK for now.

Post wasn't intended to be offensive.  Sorry you took it that way.  The point was a lot of people get complacent with their performance and that's typically a poor way to approach anything seriously, in game or in real life.  The point of my post was to reiterate for the nth time that secondary stats should be the focus of players who have completely mastered their specialization and are posting ranks, rocking out top 1% progression, and are looking for that extra fine tuning.  If you're happy with how you're playing, more power to you.

There is no ideal setup.  Each fight and each upgrade shifts the balance and synergy of the stats.  It's theoretically infeasible to respec, reforge, reglyph, and regem for every single fight.  Some of the tip top raiders do this because you have to out strategize some of the hard encounters rather than accumulate enough gear until it's beatable with decent play.  When it comes to making suggestions, it's very difficult to suggest something for a particular setup unless you're completely decked out in the best possible gear.  It's also hard to tell what bosses you're progressing in, what your raid team comp and size is, what your particular roles in a fight are, etc.  You could have 2 of the exact same Warlocks in one raid with completely different setups and do the same DPS. 

Heh, alright then.
Yeah, as I said, I havn't raided in Pandaria but that doesn't mean I don't put work into my warlock, I wanna play a "proper" way, not just run around without gems and do LFR.
Then i'll just keep grinding gear and enjoy the way it is right now, thank's for the tips.