FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Danq

Timeless Gear , Protection Paladin Stat Priority

I understand these 535 pieces have random stats assigned. 

I also understand our stat priorities as prot / ret.. 

What is the best stat combinations to go for on these new pieces BEFORE reforging?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you are asking for?

Hit>Expertise>Haste is the priority for both Ret and Prot so.... any pieces with combinations of those stats will be best.

The only purpose of reforging is to:

1 - dump stats that are over cap (for example if you are over hit or expertise caps) or

2 - reduce lower priority stats so that you can move those points into higher priority stats (for example if you had a hit/crit item you would reforge crit to either expertise or haste.

So ultimately you would want gear with only Hit, Expertise or Haste and reforge over the cap hit or expertise to Haste>Mastery.

For Clarification when I said Hit>Expertise>Haste earlier, I of course meant Hit to cap > Expertise to cap > Haste

Tools like http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear can help if you have gearing or stat reforging questions.

Hope that helped. smile.png

I have been using reforge lite add-on that is supposed to calculate those priorities for me. So are dodge and parry stats worthless ? Somebody said you get parry from STR .. I am using 2 so called dps trinkets but gives me 3k str and almost 15k extra haste with my procs so I run around 50%-60% haste. Just seems like I take some hard ass hits at times ...

I've never used reforgelite so maybe someone else can weigh in on it?  Just click optimize on your http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/alleria/danq and it'll advise you correctly smile.png

Dodge and Parry aren't worthless but they are significantly lower priority than other stats.

For Prot the overall stat priority is: Hit to 7.5% > Expertise to 15.0% > Haste > Mastery > Dodge = Parry

Stamina is a very tricky and controversial statistic and will come down to you and your groups gearing preference.  Personally I would slot it in between Haste and Mastery.

If you are taking big hits give https://www.icy-veins.com/protection-paladin-wow-pve-tank-rotation-cooldowns-abilities that section a read.  Pay special attention to Section 3. Active Survival Abilities.  Learning how to bank and use Shield of Righteous is the cornerstone for proper Prot Paly play.

Also if you go under options on AskMrRobot, you can set the gear that could be available to you.  Click save then you can click on a trinket to see what other items rank in regards to yours.

Enjoy!

I have been using reforge lite add-on that is supposed to calculate those priorities for me. So are dodge and parry stats worthless ? Somebody said you get parry from STR .. I am using 2 so called dps trinkets but gives me 3k str and almost 15k extra haste with my procs so I run around 50%-60% haste. Just seems like I take some hard ass hits at times ...

Reforge lite will do it easily for you, i have mine set to

1 - hit to meele hit cap

2 - exp to exp hard cap

3 - haste

4 - mastery

If you have them in that order it will automatically reforge into haste over mastery when avalible. Just make sure you've not got some +100 or something hit food that youd pick up somewhere random in you as this will obviously throw the reforge out

• Like 1

It's very true that Prot and Ret use the same stat weights, although I still keep a separate set of gear for Ret since I still keep a certain amount of Stam on certain Prot peices as well as separate set bonuses.  That being said, as Vlad mentioned above, finding the health pool from Stam is a conversation to have with your tank healer to see what works for your team.  If your not on a consistent team, then just use your squishy-ness as a meter for how much Stam to adjust to, which Askmrrobot can help with as well by allowing you to set a Health cap.  Keep in mind, however, that if you play with random groups a lot, sometimes you just get a crappy tank healer... Sorry, but it does happen, and not always the tanks fault.  Again, agreeing with Vlad, knowing your defensive CD's and what each one does lets you apply them correctly for the big hits.

As far as gear choices... in the past I have disregarded several "tanking" pieces with perry and dodge for Haste plate, except of course for certain set bonus tier pieces.  However, since perry and dodge now let us proc Grand Crusader (30% chance per dodge or perry, removing GS procs completely from melee attacks),  on the surface it looks like equipping more mitigation plate may have less negative impact.  Now, considering the changes to Eternal Flame and Sacred Shield, it seems that stacking Haste is more important than ever.  No idea how this sims out, but I'm curious if the extra Grand Crusader procs are worth moving to a mitigation build, especially if someone is having trouble with the Haste build rotation?

Personally I still feel I never have enough Haste, so the thought of exchanging a Haste plate piece for one with mitigaion seems absurd.  However, if the goal is to get HP as fast as possible, as well as keeping good threat, thus the Haste... How would maximizing GS procs compare?  I would be, again, very reluctant to even try it...haha... but just curious if anyone has looked into the comparison, or is this something Blizz changed to help those who still stick to the old mitigation/stamina build?

I know the plate dps on my team would /cheer if I stopped rolling on Haste Plate. :)

• Like 1

For reforge lite:

For just reforging, use it similar to amr in that you should set the values to what you are going for. It won't tell you gems and enchants (though it will take them into account). Personally I use a combination of the two - I use amr to answer "what if" questions then set values in the addon if it is more than "stack haste".