FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Dklegends

Frost MG in ToS

Wanted to pose some questions about the viability of this spec with the new tier set bonus now available and with trinkets like infernal cinders out now. Do you think this spec could do well with a decent build and stat situation with these new items and bonus'?

I use BoS right now but if MG becomes viable I'd like to dabble in it again.

Both specs viable atm, both will do well. Top raiders will probably be switching specs for some bosses, as frost doesn't sacrifice ST dps for AOE as much.

and if frost, BoS forever. MG is so boring, i hope devs aren't braindead and buff it, i never wanna see it again. 

Edited by Hardhill

So ATM for frost its still BOS or nothing. As far as fight dominance goes for DK dps its almost an even split. Its like 4-frost 5 unholy or 5 frost - 4 unholy I forget which was which but basically there is an even split about which spec will do better for each individual boss which ultimately is a nice place to be. If one is too dominant then it faces nerfs or the other one getting insane buffs. So, all in all TOS is pretty nice for DKs in that aspect.

Now with legendary ring, a MG variant is quite usable in mythic plus, but only in that aspect not in raids. 

On progression i pick Obliteration, simply because i have yet to build strategy when to use Breath. It hits harder than a botched breath and allows me to observe the fight, since i do the rotation with muscle memory.

On farm, when you know what you are doing, Breath performs better, simply because overall it has more damage done. Though hardly anyone can say anything, if you go Obliteration for high mechanics bosses, since anything is better than a botched Breath.

Breath is still so strong that a partially incorrect breath should still far overpower any form of mg/obra/using non bos build. Even then the basic rotation should get you enough leg room. Cast howling blast, cast remorseless winter, obliterate till rp capped, pillar of frost, BOS, HRW, then spam obliterate, that alone should be more than enough to get you a decently long breath. now for mythic plus that could be a different story but for raiding...

I just can't help but think of the synergy with infernal cinders and MG using a Gathering storm shred build. It sounds like it has some mid range potential.

11 hours ago, Dklegends said:

I just can't help but think of the synergy with infernal cinders and MG using a Gathering storm shred build. It sounds like it has some mid range potential.

well you know sims can miss stuff, heck even popular rotations (cough that some of us invented in the past cough) arose outside of simulations because things weren't looked at. so i mean if you can generate sexy logs and that you may well father something new :D never be afraid to experiment, just if you do find something new prepare to defend if heavily until other people try and agree with you or try to claim they did it first XD

On 6/28/2017 at 6:52 AM, demonardvark said:

well you know sims can miss stuff, heck even popular rotations (cough that some of us invented in the past cough) arose outside of simulations because things weren't looked at. so i mean if you can generate sexy logs and that you may well father something new :D never be afraid to experiment, just if you do find something new prepare to defend if heavily until other people try and agree with you or try to claim they did it first XD

Simulations got me around the same dps as BoS, but I think that MG could be taken further in other fights, as my sim was using Goroth. For fights with really heavy movement like KJ, Fallen Avatar, Mistress, Desolate Host (sort of) and Maiden, I think MG could shine in these situations where you dont have to focus on keeping breath up as much.