FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Conso

BiS list for legendaries

This is more of a thought/observation really. I was looking at the new list for BiS BM legendaries and it is far more convoluted than it needs to be. Most people come to Icyveins for a quick refresher, get an extra opinion and why, or to learn the basics of a class and creating a list like that will only cause confusion in new players.

These 3 are BiS legendaries, this next group is contender for second BiS legendaries (wouldn't the second BiS be selected from the first 3?), this last group are undesirables (bracers and trinket are undesirable? Maybe not first choice if you have multiple legendaries but I wouldn't categorize them as undesirable especially since the trinket sims so far above every other trinket.)

14 minutes ago, Conso said:

This is more of a thought/observation really. I was looking at the new list for BiS BM legendaries and it is far more convoluted than it needs to be. Most people come to Icyveins for a quick refresher, get an extra opinion and why, or to learn the basics of a class and creating a list like that will only cause confusion in new players.

These 3 are BiS legendaries, this next group is contender for second BiS legendaries (wouldn't the second BiS be selected from the first 3?), this last group are undesirables (bracers and trinket are undesirable? Maybe not first choice if you have multiple legendaries but I wouldn't categorize them as undesirable especially since the trinket sims so far above every other trinket.)

It's a way of saying any in the top 3 are your BiS, any in the 2nd tier make for a good alternative if you don't have top 3, and the bottom two are ones you generally want to avoid.

Trinket is garbage unless it's on massive AoE that you can regularly predict will sync with the trinket.

The bracers are weak unless you use Convergence of Fates, but since there are better trinkets in Tomb of Sargeras, it falls to the bottom tier.

The trinket is only good when you have no other legendaries to switch to, really. It gives higher stats than any other trinket, but its effect is weak.

The boots change your gameplay a lot, so they require a few changes. They look worse than they are if you just switch legendaries and don't change anything else. I don't know if it's still the case with Tier 20 (probably not), but the boots were supposed to be used with Aspect of the Beast, not Killer Cobra.

Some legendaries also work better with different builds. The ring of the huntsman is very good with the Tier19 2-piece + Tier20 4-piece combo and OWTP build because using 3 tier set bonuses makes it impossible to use the chest or shoulders. The guide here disregards it assuming you will gear up super quickly in Tomb and use only Tier20 since the ilvl of Tier19 will stagnate, but realistically it can take a while for non-hardcore players (that don't do split runs) to get the full tier20 and higher ilvl pieces of gear for every single slot.

Another big factor is what piece of gear you are replacing with the legendary. A legendary that replaces a weak low ilvl piece of gear (with bad stats to boot) will raise your dps a lot. A legendary that replaces a mythic titanforged high ilvl piece with perfect stats might not be such a big boost to dps. This can matter a lot if, for example like me, you stopped rolling for shoulders after wearing the Mantle of Command for months during 7.2 and then when the shoulders got nerfed I had a hard time replacing them because I had no good shoulder pieces to wear in its place. Crafter gear with obliterum is the best I could get for now.

Edited by Khallid

Well irregardless the 1,2,3 list was just fine, isn't any need for a more complex way to rate them. That's all i'm really saying here. Like i said was just a thought.

Edited by Conso

Complexity is kind of subjective here. Ranking 12 legendaries in order is kind of impossible because of how it depends with the rest of your gear. The current list is pretty simple in my opinion. Ge the top tier ones, avoid the bottom tier ones.

5 minutes ago, Conso said:

Well irregardless the 1,2,3 list was just fine, isn't any need for a more complex way to rate them. That's all i'm really saying here. Like i said was just a thought.

A) Irregardless isn't a word, that's a double negative, a prefix and a suffix that both mean the same thing - the word you're after is regardless. (English teacher, pet peeve)

B) It's a very simple legendary system, and you can see the dps they bring on their own in the stacked BM legendary spreadsheet - they're ranked that way outside of the sheet as it shows that on their own, those legendaries represent X dps increase and over any alternative provide the highest dps increase.