FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
PaleBeard

Tanking ToS

My guild started Tomb yesterday and we downed five bosses: Goroth, Demonic Inq, Harjatan, Mistress and Sisters.

I felt like I died a lot.  The final straw was during our third attempt at Desolate Host- after that death the we called it.  I don't have logs to share (I joined a group and lost my recount data), but I did screenshot my combat log later https://ibb.co/gQ4QJQ

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/nathrezim/palebeard

In general, I feel like whenever I don't have SotP up, I am getting crushed.  I have about 5.8m HP but was looking at my combat log of my last two deaths on Host and I'm taking 750k melee hits.  This was the first time I'd faced this boss and our tank swaps on Sundering/Doomed weren't smooth yet.  It's not seen on the combat log but I did use Guardian of Ancient Kings prior to the first death (I think it ran out before my screenshot begins).  I didn't eat a healthstone or a potion.

I haven't provided much to work with, so I know there won't be much to offer but does this look right?  I got a lot of heat from one healer in particular, who kept saying I was standing in sh!t.  To some degree, they have a point, purple pools kept getting dropped all over where I was tanking and it became quite difficult to manage placement.  Do I need to focus more on cooldown management and keeping myself up?  

Our other tank was a Monk who seemed to have slightly lower ilvl.  He died before me maybe twice the whole night.  Recount showed him receiving 20%ish more healing, though I had about 20%ish more absorbs.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Generally i felt the same when tanking heroic on Nighthold, My biggest problem was using Shield of the righteous in my dps rotation, as in, i would use all three charges for doing damage. stopped doing that and saw huge improvements in terms of my Survivability. Just focus on staying alive, use flask and such. i use potion of prolonged power alot, it ups my haste and versatility, and use avenging wrath as an defensive Cd as it ups your healing. in my opinion paladin self healing atm, is stupid good, take advantage of that. 

Its all somewhat dependent of what Legos you have, i have Sauran's resolve, giving me another Hotp, which is insane. and Archimond's hatred reborn, which is basically an absorb. So the trinket combined with Eye of tyr can mitigate almost any mechanic alone. Sorry for the book and i hope this helped you somewhat :) Good luck in TOS!

I think I have most of the old legos.  Would you recommend Archimonde over pyrdaz or heathcliff?  After reading someone else's post on reddit I think I also had an issue with running out of melee range to avoid damage- I couldn't sotp during that time.

i wont pretend to be a pro on protection, or the legos, i would how ever heavily recommend Archimondes hatred over Heatcliff,

4% dmg reduction on consecration is not enough to even matter most of the time, in my opinion.

How ever, im not quite sure about Prydaz, Both are undeniably good, and it really depends on what content and boss your playing, Generally i would say Prydaz is better for trash mobs, and bosses that have high hitting abilities that hit every now and then rather than one huge hit a minute or two. Theres probably a guide somewhere that tells you exactly which one to use, If i had Prydaz i would probably just test and compare, and use which ever one i prefer for the content i generally do, Mythic + and normal/heroic raids.

Just remind yourself when you're raiding not to use Sotr for dps increase, let the dps do their jobs so that you can focus on yours, to soak damage. 

Well, I just managed to pick up a soul from turning in war supplies.  I think I'll run Saruan+Soul after reading the pins in the paladin discord.

Thanks for the help!

ToS didn't give me many problems - until we got to KJ.  At 8/9 Heroic, here's what I've learned.

GET THE DARKMOON DECK to 900 ASAP, and swap it with your crit trinket.  I promise you, you will thank me later. 

If you have Prydaz or the Helm, use them. 

If you can get Feverish Carapace it's decent also, if unpredictable. 
Darkmoon deck will set you up greatly for both KJ (for the run of Felclaws) and Desolate Host (the incessant physical damage from both the boss (fairly heavy hits) and the spots of mobs (if you're live side). 

And not sure which talents you're using, but Crusader's Judgment and Righteous Protector are stronger for survivability (right now it shows First Avenger assuming for your Lego Legs, Seraphim, which I'm assuming is M+ runs build). 

ETA: I also personally use Cavalier/Knight Templar, mostly for the additional Damage Reduction, secondly for the ridiculous extra mobility it provides.  It's nice for Inquisition also if you pull the Bonesaw boss to the back, you can pop Horsey and SotR him as you run past, for 15%+shield reduction. 

Also nice for Maiden, since you're standing the movement isnt too necessary, but I pop horsey and shield right before Hammer of XXX for added cushion.

Same for most 'big hit' mechanics, including the last two hits of Felclaws on KJ. 

Edited by PatrickHenry