Blue

Should be doing better?

17 posts in this topic

Playing my BM hunter, feel like I should be doing better than 7-800k dps with my ilevel. Links to my logs from tonight (several failed attempts at 4th boss before we called it), ToS heroic. Also links to my armoury and wowprogress. If anyone can see something obvious I'm doing wrong please let me know. I did try MM but can't get on with it.

TY in advance xxx

https://www.wowprogress.com/character/eu/silvermoon/Bluemõõn

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/eu/silvermoon/bluemõõn

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/B8c6dY3vMqypnAHZ/

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/MvK89QHbzJyWGxZP/ - ToS normal run (before upgraded boots and latest concordance)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talents are wrong - either DF/BF or stomp/OWTP with high crit, you've selected a cross between the two and it's not working. Way of the Cobra > Dire Stable in every circumstance, if you have issues with focus gen then you're spamming cobra shot too much and not letting yourself pool enough focus for your BW windows.

Stat priority is off - not enough crit for stomp build, not enough mastery for DF build.

One mediocre legendary.

Your opening rotation needs a lot of work, you almost never got above 1.5m, BM has some of the most powerful, on demand burst in the game - you should be well over 2m, if not higher.

You're averaging between 1.5-2 cobra shots for every KC, not bad but could improve.

Gemming mastery & enchanting haste? Not indicative of any build - either go full crit for stomp, or full mastery for DF.

Poor relics - aim for all 3 slots to have Jaws relics if possible, if not Jaws then a highly rolled Pack or Slithering Serpents.

You have quite a lot to change around before your dps will increase, so in your current state that dps is fine. Please read the BM Hunter guide on this website thoroughly and it'll provide you all the answers you actually need.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luthixx is right, one more point is that you really need to avoid versatility. Of particular note is that crafted ring. If you're not aware of this, you can scan the auction house for crafted gear with all stat combinations. Having Versatility on a crafted piece means you chose it on purpose, and you screwed up. Since rings don't give agility, it is twice as bad to have versatility on a ring. Tier pieces are the only ever pieces of gear that can have versatility since it can't be avoided sometimes but the set bonus is greater than the stats.

Edit: Unleash the Beast is a perfectly fine trait for Relics, the multi-shot relic is the only really bad one.

Edited by Khallid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luthixx wrote: " Stat priority is off - not enough crit for stomp build, not enough mastery for DF build. "

I'm a little bit irritated, because I don't know where I can find this information. Who much Crit. in % and how much Mastery in % is needed for the new content?  Please dispell the darkness, thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Letha said:

I'm a little bit irritated, because I don't know where I can find this information. Who much Crit. in % and how much Mastery in % is needed for the new content?  Please dispell the darkness, thanks.

So, for the stomp/OWTP build, you want at least 30% mastery. 35-38% is optimal, after that it really loses its value.

In terms of mastery, for the DF/BF build, you want as much mastery as possible. When I run my crit build my stats are:

Crit 37% 

Haste 14%

Mastery 80%

And the DF/BF build:

24%

18%

102%

There aren't exact cutoffs but just general guides. This information is either found on this guide or on www.eyesofthebeast.com - a hunter guide written by Bendak, who does the wowhead hunter guide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the advice. I have looked at things like bis etc and thought I was doing ok but clearly I've got my lines crossed. I will look at the guides you suggested. Please could you explain briefly the difference between the two builds you've cited and any other tips for one or the other?

Valuable advice thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Luthixx said:

So, for the stomp/OWTP build, you want at least 30% mastery. 35-38% is optimal, after that it really loses its value.

 

I do believe he means at least 30% Crit 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no absolute cut-off points, but the stats Luthix wrote are good if you're in that range of ilvl. As you keep earning more gear all the stats need to go up; you don't just stop getting mastery or crit altogether after a certain value. If your stat distribution is perfect you will reach the point where Haste, Crit and Mastery are worth the same, then you just raise ilvl and all of them will raise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue said:

Thank you for the advice. I have looked at things like bis etc and thought I was doing ok but clearly I've got my lines crossed. I will look at the guides you suggested. Please could you explain briefly the difference between the two builds you've cited and any other tips for one or the other?

Valuable advice thank you

I'm sure Luthixx can explain it better but here is how i see it.

 

DF build relies on the T20 set and high mastery, it is a more consistent build as it relies less on wild call procs, it does take a little more finess to play as you need to maximize your uptime and stack of DF espeically during call of the wild to make the most out of it.

 

The "zookeeper build" is greatly boosted by the T19 2p. You prioritize crit on this build for more beasts and as a result, your dps varies depends on the wild call procs. You are constantly throwing animals at the boss. This is a really fun build because of all the beasts. You prioritize crit on this build for more beasts and as a result, your dps varies depends on the wild call procs.

 

The sims that i have seen show both builds really close. This is of course entirely dependent on good gameplay and correct gear. i would say play both and see what you enjoy more/what you are better at.

 

TL;DR

Play what you enjoy

Zookeeper- dps varies based on procs. throw tons of animals at the boss. stack crit. T19 2p favors this build

DF- consistent DPS with fewer pets. must maximise DF uptime. stacks mastery. Favors T20 set bonus

 

Personally i like the constant throwing of animals at the boss, so i will be going with the Zookeeper build until i have to give up my T19 2p. i plan on running 2pT19 and 4pT20 for as long as i can. hopefully, paired with leggy belt/ring, i will can stay in the top BM parses for my ilvl but maybe ill run 4pT20 with leggy shoulders/chest. i will run the sims when i have the gear to see what combo of set bonuses and leggys works best.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sisco said:

I do believe he means at least 30% Crit 

 

Yes, thank you for the correction! Late night ramblings on my end there haha.

10 hours ago, Sisco said:

I'm sure Luthixx can explain it better but here is how i see it.

 

DF build relies on the T20 set and high mastery, it is a more consistent build as it relies less on wild call procs, it does take a little more finess to play as you need to maximize your uptime and stack of DF espeically during call of the wild to make the most out of it.

 

The "zookeeper build" is greatly boosted by the T19 2p. You prioritize crit on this build for more beasts and as a result, your dps varies depends on the wild call procs. You are constantly throwing animals at the boss. This is a really fun build because of all the beasts. You prioritize crit on this build for more beasts and as a result, your dps varies depends on the wild call procs.

 

The sims that i have seen show both builds really close. This is of course entirely dependent on good gameplay and correct gear. i would say play both and see what you enjoy more/what you are better at.

 

TL;DR

Play what you enjoy

Zookeeper- dps varies based on procs. throw tons of animals at the boss. stack crit. T19 2p favors this build

DF- consistent DPS with fewer pets. must maximise DF uptime. stacks mastery. Favors T20 set bonus

 

Personally i like the constant throwing of animals at the boss, so i will be going with the Zookeeper build until i have to give up my T19 2p. i plan on running 2pT19 and 4pT20 for as long as i can. hopefully, paired with leggy belt/ring, i will can stay in the top BM parses for my ilvl but maybe ill run 4pT20 with leggy shoulders/chest. i will run the sims when i have the gear to see what combo of set bonuses and leggys works best.

 

I don't have much to add to that, so fantastic explanation!

If your main goal is to have fun, I say go the zoo build, but if you're looking for consistent, regular dps needed for progression dps checks, your main goal should be to get 4pc T20. However, as all your T19 pieces are only 895 ilvl, they'll quickly lose value compared to T20. If your guild is a heroic guild and will only focus on clearing heroic this tier and might take a few weeks or months to get there, try and get 2pc T19 and 4pc T20, but if you plan to go into mythic you'll want T20 asap.

Realistically they're very very similar builds, it's only your tier sets and a few stat changes here and there that can make or break the spec. For example, I have optimal gear for both builds in terms of NH gear, and all I change out is my rings and necklace to go between the stats I outlined above. 

DF will be consistent, it's dps variance will only be 50k - 100k, whereas the zoo build with great procs can do 200k+ higher than what you sim, but with bad procs will go 200k under. In heroic last night we did Maiden and Avatar, and on some attempts I'd be in front by 50m damage at any given point, others I'd be in the middle of the pack, hence why I'm aiming for 4pc T20, far more consistent and I have the BIS leggos to match it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Luthixx said:

 try and get 2pc T19 and 4pc T20, but if you plan to go into mythic you'll want T20 asap.

Thank you, I got lucky last night and had the legendary chest drop, so I'm currently rolling with that and the belt. I've changed my talents and pushed up my mastery, lost the versatility ring. But with the chest as legendary is it possible to get 2pc T19 and 4pc T20?

My guild is currently only heroic but we look to progress to mythic once we have a stable core team. I don't feel it's fair to join a pug and learn Mythic on someone else's time because I can take a couple of tries to grab mechanics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue said:

Thank you, I got lucky last night and had the legendary chest drop, so I'm currently rolling with that and the belt. I've changed my talents and pushed up my mastery, lost the versatility ring. But with the chest as legendary is it possible to get 2pc T19 and 4pc T20?

My guild is currently only heroic but we look to progress to mythic once we have a stable core team. I don't feel it's fair to join a pug and learn Mythic on someone else's time because I can take a couple of tries to grab mechanics

no, you cant run chest with 3 tier bonuses with leggy chest . you have to see what will work best for you at far as chest + belt with either 2pT19+2pT20 OR 4pT19 OR 4pT20 or you can see if maybe the 4p+2p combined with legendaries that dont take up a tier slot provides better damage. I am interested to see if belt/chest with 4pT20 is high enough over 2pT19 4p20T with belt and bracer/ring to justify breaking the 2pT19 in order to run belt/chest or chest/shoulder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well sadly my legendaries are all rubbish except for the belt and chest. If/when I get bracers/ring I can certainly play around with options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the same boat. i have shoulders/belt/bracer but since i have no T20 yet i can run shoulders if they sim better. hoping for the ring and chest soon. then it'll get fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Blue said:

Well sadly my legendaries are all rubbish except for the belt and chest. If/when I get bracers/ring I can certainly play around with options.

Chest and Belt are BiS by a mile, even with the stomp build they're still awesome, grats on the leggo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luthixx said:

Chest and Belt are BiS by a mile, even with the stomp build they're still awesome, grats on the leggo!

I don't know about that, all the sims I've run switching gear pieces show the stomp build Tier19/Tier20 with the Huntmaster ring and belt doing more dps than the chest and belt, at least for me. I also straight up lose dps if I switch the ring for the chest with the Tier19 4-piece, not losing any set bonuses with the change, so I'm not impressed with the chest at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2017 at 9:13 AM, Sisco said:

no, you cant run chest with 3 tier bonuses with leggy chest . you have to see what will work best for you at far as chest + belt with either 2pT19+2pT20 OR 4pT19 OR 4pT20 or you can see if maybe the 4p+2p combined with legendaries that dont take up a tier slot provides better damage. I am interested to see if belt/chest with 4pT20 is high enough over 2pT19 4p20T with belt and bracer/ring to justify breaking the 2pT19 in order to run belt/chest or chest/shoulder

Most of my T19 is just heroic.  I got a TF T20 head and H T20 gloves so I was running 4pc T19 + 2PC 20 + CotW/Roar/CoF in the raid after that.  But I have to give up 910 H/M socketed gloves to put those crit/vers tier gloves on for a 1.5% damage increase during BW, or get 500 haste and 900 mastery.  Guess I'll be doing a lot of simming..

I ended up keeping the TF T20 helm, and dropping the T19 shoulders/legs as I got H/M from H, and H/M/A WF ToS Boots from the weekly.  

Because of a boot upgrade, my sim is saying 4 19T + 2 20T + 970 roar and 940 prydaz, instead a Qu'pal, and definitely not CotW/Cof.  

Back to the targets...

Edited by Eyeroll
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Narii625
      SERVER: Illidan
      RAID TIMES: Fridays & Sundays 10pm - 1am Server Time (CT)
      CURRENT PROGRESSION: 8/8N, 6/8H
      iLVL REQUIREMENT: 360+
       
      CURRENTLY RECRUITING
      Tank Healer DPS ABOUT US
      Currently looking for skilled and laid back raiders for Heroic and eventually Mythic Uldir.
      We're semi-casual in terms of the time we spend raiding, but are serious about progression, attendance, and performance.
      Booty Pirates is a close-knit late night guild that hangs out in Discord frequently. We enjoy joking around, playing alts, doing Mythic+, playing other games, or just hanging out.
      Players wanting just Mythic+ and a casual experience (no raiding) are welcomed!
      Fun guild events are scheduled every Saturday!
      TLDR; we're very social with guild members that actually talk to each other.
      (18+ required, we talk like pirates!)
      GOALS FOR BfA
      In Battle for Azeroth we plan to push Mythic more than we did previously in Legion, and not spend nearly as much time on Heroic. 
      This means we will jump into Mythic/Heroic weekends as soon as the majority of the Heroic gear is done. (Mythic Friday and Heroic Sunday, for example, until we phase Heroic out completely.) 
      JOINING THE BOOTY PIRATES CREW
      - Mythic+ or Casual: Add me on Battle.net or whisper me in-game for an invite.
      - Raiders: Add me on Battle.net and fill out our app.
      Start the app here! 
      Battle.net ID: LadyPluu#1299
      In-Game Name: Pluu
    • By Xanah
      Guild: Dawn of the Dead | http://www.dotd.org   Faction: Horde | Server: Zul'jin (PvE) | Timezone: EST   Current Progression: 4/8M Uldir   We've been raiding max size raids continuously since WoW has been released and are the only guild to have done so here on Zul'jin. We have strong leadership, no drama, and plans to keep raiding for years to come. Unlike many guilds, we're not recruiting for the short term, and we don't over-recruit.   Website: www.dotd.org
        Raid Times: Our schedule is 8-11 EST Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.   Needs: We are a small guild, and we expect high attendance. As such, we recruit people to raid, and desire people who can step in and contribute immediately. We don’t recruit people to sit around, so all spots are for raiders who can expect to be in most every raid.   We are currently looking to add skilled and reliable:   Ranged DPS:
      High: Warlock
      Medium: Mage, S.Priest, Boomkin
      1 Healer:
      High: MW Monk
      *ALL exceptional applicants will be considered regardless of the class.   What we ask of you:   Effort: Not all applicants come from highly progressed guilds, and that’s okay, but it does mean that you need to be prepared. We recruit the player, not the gear, but we do ask that you have some current experience and be a minimum iLvl of 370. You need to have the best gear available to you, (BoE, Crafted) with gems and top end enchants. You also need to be able to display an understanding of your class mechanics, role in a raid, and ability to learn new fights.   Attitude: It’s a game. We play for fun. How you fit in with the guild is taken very seriously. We’re a bunch of mostly 18-30 guys and girls who have fun playing together. While we have a good time, we also know when it’s time to buckle down and work hard.   Skill: The best way to determine skill is to see you in a raid. Because we don’t wish to have anyone transfer that we’re not serious about, be able to express your knowledge of your class and why you’re an exceptional player who would be an asset and is worth a shot. Gear will come with time. Skill will not. Impress us with your knowledge of your class and gameplay mechanics. Feel free to share any logs, theorycrafting, or other work you've done.   Commitment: We make a commitment to you, and ask you to do the same to us. A raid takes a team of more than 20 individuals working together. We rely on you to show up to raids, research your class and new fights, respect your fellow players, and notify us when you are unavailable. You rely on us for gear, experience, and coordination. It's a large investment of our time to train and gear new players, and we ask the same investment on your part so that we can each benefit.   We have a variety of informational resources available to prospective applicants on our web site: http://www.dotd.org-- please refer to our "Applications" forum for detailed information. Also feel free to visit us on WoWProgresss for more information and kill videos! http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/...wn+of+the+Dead   Should you wish to speak to someone in-game, please don't hesitate to reach out to an officer directly, whisper Xanah (Xana#1662) or Jeare (Jeare#1759).   We look forward to hearing from you soon!  
    • By Chumani
      Inevitable Destiny   (H)Corrupted Destiny guild Skywall/Drak'thul US realm😎 JOIN US!
      We are currently 8/8 Normal Uldir and 2/8 Heroic Uldir  -- Kickin' ass and hell with their names!
      1st  raid - Sun/Tues/Thurs 600-830pst
      2nd raid - Fri/Mon 530-800pst
      We ARE one of Skywall's largest and oldest standing guilds! Very active with a large player base. ALWAYS something going on, mythic dungeon runs, normal runs for alts, Island Expeditions, Arathi Highlands Warfront, PVP events.... always something!!!
      Come experience the reason a guild as old as CD continues to stand and stand strong year after year after year! Come...... and get.... CORRUPTED!!!
      Chu#12466 or Deni#1743
    • By Maplefire
      Looking for a casually serious progression guild? Hordeland Security could be your new home! We started at launch, and have raided on Blackhand, Baelgun, and now Turalyon. 

      We currently raid on Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:00- 9:15 Central Time. We understand that no one has an unlimited amount of time to play. We raid with a goal oriented focus, to achieve AotC in current content and then progress into Mythic. We also have a few that pvp, a few more that push M+'s, and we've been known do a few mog/achievement runs.
      Interested? Drop us a line!
      Raid Lead - Keelhaul (Herve#1737)
      Director - Safaldi (Saffy#1122)
       
    • By WatcherDK
      I'm trying to create a macro that will allow me to use Spirit Mend with the typical focus/mouseover modifiers but also allow me to use Exhilaration with a key modifier and can't seem to make all of this work together. Here's what I have but it's acting like the ALT modifier isn't even there.
      #showtooltip /cast [mod:alt][@mouseover,help,nodead][@focus,help,nodead][@player]Spirit Mend; Exhilaration Thank you in advance for any help!