Damien

Inarius Bone Storm Necromancer

98 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Inarius Bone Storm Necromancer Build Guide.

Nice to see the new format and quick reference. It'll be easier to quickly check gear and stuff now

Edit: After some testing I think I would like to have all variations gear visible in one place like it was before... also switchable buttons with skills variations were nice.  I mean I would like to have all 'to get' stuff on main build page and wall of text in other sections

Edited by Kaelos

• 26 Jun. 2016 (this page): Guide added.

Surely you meant 2017? Times go fast, we know :(

• Like 1

I was running numbers on this build via d3planner and it looks like Efficacious Toxin ends up stronger than Pain Enhancer. The flat +10% damage taken worked out better than IAS which only seems to effect Grim Scythe. Also, putting the Shadowhook in the cube and using Corroded Fang with Leger's Disdain gives Grim Scythe another buff (minimum 120% damage boost). This is a pretty massive boost and the better base attack speed from using a 1-handed scythe makes both Bone Storm and Grim Scythe that much deadlier.

Eternal Torment over Swift Harvesting means longer up time for Kryspin's and Dayntee's. In theory, Tendril Nova would provide a lot of healing in this meleemancer build, but Frozen Lands certainly has it's draw thanks to infinite Corpse Lance and adding another proc for Kryspin's. I couldn't get a simulation for that one way or the other.

Does any of that make sense?

Edit 3: I also may have hit on a viable Thorns variant. Interested in your thoughts.

Edited by Unwyrden
typed faster than brain; new numbers based on live d3planner

What is the reasoning behind cubing the 1 handed scythe and equipping the 2 handed one? I would think you could do more damage with this build with more attack speed and some nice extra buffs from a well picked off hand. Just curious to know, I don't have enough gear yet to try it out myself.

during play, (only have four of the six pieces so far) I have noticed that this build seems to struggle without corpses to fuel it.

I had to swap my curse for skeletal mage/gift of death in order to generate corpses for my fight against Diablo. The fight was dragging on without it.

9 hours ago, Jerioke said:

during play, (only have four of the six pieces so far) I have noticed that this build seems to struggle without corpses to fuel it.

I had to swap my curse for skeletal mage/gift of death in order to generate corpses for my fight against Diablo. The fight was dragging on without it.

That is because you are not fully geared. Once you finish everything and use the 3 gems, you don't even need corpse lance other than on bosses but just use land of the dead for that, until like GR70+(from my experience).

I'll go ahead and field this one since nobody has yet. The answer to why the 2H is because Mirinae, Teardrop of the Starweaver scales off your weapon damage. If you aren't using that gem yet... try it. Unless it changed since beta somehow, this is the largest contributor to your damage. Why?

Inarius 6 set bonus.

Now if this has been nerfed since then somebody please let me know so I can go cry... also without that mechanic is calls the entire build into question. There was a 1H variant on beta, and it was actually the very first necro build ever posted on Diablofans. That may be stronger now I havn't gotten to test much on live yet.

Next question. Leger's DisdainLeger's Disdain only adds damage when it restores essence. Since you will be spending the majority of your time at full essence this is of very little help to you. You would be better off using Lost TimeLost Time or perhaps Lidless WallLidless Wall.

Lastly, yes it struggles with no corpses. It also has ramp up to Bone armor stacks. Dying on a RG is almost a fail scenario in high GR. You use Land of the DeadLand of the Dead to get momentuum going with no corpses so without a low CD on that decent gear otherwise it is going to feel pretty clunky.

If the gem has not been nerfed it is all moot because that is definitely superior to any other variant. Here is hoping.

Thank you very much for this guide.

I do have a question: Why is there no elemental damage on any of the items recommended? I have not been playing for nearly 18 months. What has changed or is so special with the Necromancer class, that it is not good to have any elemental damage on the items?

Thanks for your explanation.

2 hours ago, CptDraco said:

I'll go ahead and field this one since nobody has yet. The answer to why the 2H is because Mirinae, Teardrop of the Starweaver scales off your weapon damage. If you aren't using that gem yet... try it. Unless it changed since beta somehow, this is the largest contributor to your damage. Why?

Inarius 6 set bonus.

Now if this has been nerfed since then somebody please let me know so I can go cry... also without that mechanic is calls the entire build into question. There was a 1H variant on beta, and it was actually the very first necro build ever posted on Diablofans. That may be stronger now I havn't gotten to test much on live yet.

Next question. Leger's DisdainLeger's Disdain only adds damage when it restores essence. Since you will be spending the majority of your time at full essence this is of very little help to you. You would be better off using Lost TimeLost Time or perhaps Lidless WallLidless Wall.                   

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking more attack speed means more mirinae procs, but that makes sense now. The attack speed boost from having a 1 handed weapon wouldn't make up for the damage boost you would get from a 2 handed weapon

2 hours ago, Guest ZMA said:

Can some one explain the math pain enhancer vs bane of the powerful.

Pain Enhancer's bleed damage is currently buffed by the 6-pc set bonus. It creates a tertiary source of independent damage that is pretty significant. (ticking for around the same damage as your corpse lance hits)

8 hours ago, CptDraco said:

If you're right about this (likely since that's the description on the item itself) then the Thorns variant I stumbled on might be the stronger build.

What torment lvl is this applicable to? I'm running T9 and struggling with some elite packs (mind you I don't yet have to full cube set but I can't quite see how that would make such a major difference). Thanks

51 minutes ago, Guest Sloth said:

What torment lvl is this applicable to? I'm running T9 and struggling with some elite packs (mind you I don't yet have to full cube set but I can't quite see how that would make such a major difference). Thanks

Beyond T13, I am soloing GR70s with eeeeaase, not even using corpse lance very often other than against RGs. But it does require the whole build plus leveling up those 3 gems as they are a big source of your damage. 

1 hour ago, Guest Sloth said:

I've pushed this build beyond GR 70 without ancient gear pieces, you just need damage reduction in the form of the pieces and alternatives listed. Use a Unity if you don't yet have a Wisdom of Kalan!

Edited by Lazy

1 hour ago, Guest Sloth said:

I had no issues with 75 with no ancients and only low leveled gems (25-50).  I think you can interchange widsom and unity for soloing unless there is something with the math that i'm overlooking or something not mentioned .  I think unity would probably be better for soloing because you don't have to worry about bone armor stacks as much, but i'm not sure if the additional bone stacks provide additional damage from the 6 piece bonus.  I've noticed the graphic changes for the storm when i have fewer than 10 stacks and looks less dense but i'm not sure if this correlates with damage or gem procs. Anyone know?

With absolutely basic gear just to put the build together i was able to do a GR 75 with time to spare. Probably even more but i will die too much. 

Was thinking - maybe Wreath of Lightning could be better than the pain enhancer or no? Anyone tried this?  

Hei guys, quick question: While working on getting my last piece of this set, I ran Corpsewhisper PauldronsCorpsewhisper Pauldrons instead as it was the only Necromancer shoulder I had. Why is this not included in the build?

This would buff your damage pretty significant, as with good groups or while using Land of the dead, you are at 20 stacks the whole time, giving your Corpse LanceCorpse Lance Brittle TouchBrittle Touch 30%*20 = 600% more damage. 

I get that in the proper build it would be competing with Aquila CuirassAquila Cuirass, but am wondering if that is the only reason it is not included, or if there is something else I'm not seing?

15 hours ago, Lazy said:

I've pushed this build beyond GR 70 without ancient gear pieces, you just need damage reduction in the form of the pieces and alternatives listed. Use a Unity if you don't yet have a Wisdom of Kalan!

Think I'm missing the damage reduction here. The skill of bone armor originally adds 3% per stack making it 45% with 15 stacks. Wouldn't a unity be better in the cube than Wisdom of kalan since unity reduces damage by half?

36 minutes ago, Guest Mcnallyfargo said:

Think I'm missing the damage reduction here. The skill of bone armor originally adds 3% per stack making it 45% with 15 stacks. Wouldn't a unity be better in the cube than Wisdom of kalan since unity reduces damage by half?

For solo Unity>Kalan (as seen by basically everyone on solo leaderboards using Unity lol), but in groups obviously Kalan>Unity.

@YridaaThanks for pointing this out, I will let Damien know. Also I fixed the quote. Sometime you have to delete the quote and re-add it, or open the code editor and insert the <p> tags yourself. 

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.