Damien

Unhallowed Essence Grenades Demon Hunter

31 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Unhallowed Essence Grenades Demon Hunter Build Guide.

this build is complete crap... followed it to a T and it cant even do a GR70 solo the dmg is way to weak.... can complete the rift without die'n so that is a + but cant do it within the time and if a build cant do that then there is no point in it.....

On 7/14/2017 at 5:13 PM, Guest jjjj said:

this build is complete crap... followed it to a T and it cant even do a GR70 solo the dmg is way to weak.... can complete the rift without die'n so that is a + but cant do it within the time and if a build cant do that then there is no point in it.....

Was your gear optimized? What level are your gems?

On 7/14/2017 at 4:13 PM, Guest jjjj said:

I did a Solo 78 with it, on hardcore, in the first week of the season restart.. lol (last season/season 10)

• Like 1

How does this build work without Hellcat Waistguard being in the game anymore?

On 7/21/2017 at 6:21 PM, Guest incognito408 said:

How does this build work without Hellcat Waistguard being in the game anymore?

? The hellcat is most definitely still in the game. I got two while leveling up my seasonal DH Thursday night, and another after I hit 70.

It's definitely not a great build.  I just gave it a shot with a 5 augmented ancients, decent rolls, and paragon 850.  Couldn't clear GRift70.  This build just doesnt do enough dmg overall.  I might be able to push GR80 with Primal weapons and great rolls on gear, but as an average build, GR65 tops.  

I tried this build with full ancient gear, that I mostly took from my already existing Impale Build. Both weapons ancient with +12 discipline each. Paragon 806.

I was able to finish it kinda easily, but it does not compare to the Impale build, which I just completed a GR80 in less than 10 minutes with. It might be more useful when playing in groups, because it has high aoe damage, but I guess there are better classes for that. So no, this build is not the best for DH imo.

I dunno about that dudes, last season this exact build cleared GR102 solo and took the top spot on EU. 2 tiers ahead of Impale, so roughly 40% harder content.

I am struggling to get DPS out of this build - the survivability is good, otherwise. I have a feeling it is due on my part to a combination of poor stat priorities on my current rolled gear, and lower paragon (547). Gonna keep rolling to see if I can get better deeps.

The Impale Build is an excellent fallback build in the mean time while collecting better pieces of this set - great balance of DPS and survivability.

Two things concern me about this build:

(1) Hatred remains completely unused in favor of grenade DPS. This concern is obvious to any DH who's ever used this resource to cause DPS - I have a deep-seated urge to throw some cluster arrows in the rotation or something.

(2) The DPS appears very sporadic and unpredictable. Again, this may be a result of poor rolls on my gear. The remote AOE caused by grenades takes a little getting used to (versus the linear path of Impale or Evasive Fire), but this is very doable. The concern here lies in the damage itself: It starts sloooww and then picks up steam. If you proc'd from a previous group of mobs, some of this dps carries over, but not all of it - this curved increase in dps is what takes a bit of getting used to.

What I love about the grenades however, is that the damage is applied to everything in the area. With the Impale Build, you must cut through from the edges to get to the innards of a massive group of mobs. Grenades bypass this need with their remote AOE.

Deadset, quick question on gearing.  Given how dicey it can be finding an Ancient Dawn with a perfect 65% cooldown on Vengeance, what are your thoughts on cubing Dawn and going for an Ancient Calamity in the offhand instead?  How much damage would I be giving away?

This build tops the leaderboards along with impale/shadow so definitely works! In fact for last season it ended up winning I believe. I just ended up using calamity instead of buriza because I happened to already have a Dawn kanai'd . I guess the proof is in the leaderboard which tells me otherwise though.

Question about Bane of the Trapped:

I noticed that Fan of Knives is only a 1 second slow.  Even with CDR, I'm only using it about every 6 seconds.  Is bane of the trapped still a good choice?  If you only use Fan of Knives to proc it, does that limit the uptime?  And, are you typically fighting close enough to use the gems lvl 25 slow to self proc?

The new format on these guides is really bad. Why are we being forced now to go through multiple pages? It doesn't make sense. It's not 1998 anymore...pretty much everybody has broadband, so why not just load the full guide on a single page? If you want to build in hotlinks and shortcuts, that's fine, but just make them jump to the headings instead of completely different pages.

Please change it back to the old format.

35 minutes ago, Guest Nimrod said:

Question about Bane of the Trapped:

I noticed that Fan of Knives is only a 1 second slow.  Even with CDR, I'm only using it about every 6 seconds.  Is bane of the trapped still a good choice?  If you only use Fan of Knives to proc it, does that limit the uptime?  And, are you typically fighting close enough to use the gems lvl 25 slow to self proc?

The purpose of Fan of Knives in this build is defense and incoming damage mitigation. With the rune you get very important Armor boost, and it procs the Numbing Traps passive skill so that enemies hit with it have 25% reduced damage for 5 secs. Due to the very short 1 second duration of the actual slow, it's mostly useless for offense.

In GR pushing with this build, yes you will rarely be able to maintain >15 yds between you and enemies. This is because you want to remain stationary as much as possible to take advantage of the Endless Walk damage buff. The only way you could really keep a distance is by liberal use of Vault, but then that kills your damage output since you're relying on your Discipline pool to maximize your Unhallowed Essence six piece damage bonus.

Thanks for that.

Following up, I'd like to focus in on how bane of the trapped adds value to this build.  Does the numbing traps effect proc it?

After the 1 sec fan of knives slow expires, does anything other than the gem's 15 yard slow proc the damage boost?

Thanks

Having engaged in a spirited discussion with a friend on the effectiveness of the cubed buriza in this build, I decided to post this question on the sites that offer this setup.  So far I've only found a mismash of poorly explained (or corroborated) theories on if you target an area behind a line, or was it row, of mobs (can you even target the ground on the console edition?) or if you get a densely packed mob you can proc extra bouncing grenades or something?  Is this a thing?  How is the buriza actually working with the grenades since they don't pierce?  I'd love some legit, straightforward insight on this if anyone knows.  Thanks!  :)

On 7/30/2017 at 5:27 PM, Guest Totoro Princess said:

Having engaged in a spirited discussion with a friend on the effectiveness of the cubed buriza in this build, I decided to post this question on the sites that offer this setup.  So far I've only found a mismash of poorly explained (or corroborated) theories on if you target an area behind a line, or was it row, of mobs (can you even target the ground on the console edition?) or if you get a densely packed mob you can proc extra bouncing grenades or something?  Is this a thing?  How is the buriza actually working with the grenades since they don't pierce?  I'd love some legit, straightforward insight on this if anyone knows.  Thanks!  :)

I would also like an answer to these questions about Buriza. Any suggestions for an alternative cube weapon would be helpful too. 

Slightly off topic, was half distracted when I read the title of this thread and thought it was for warcraft and that got me to thinking that DH's need grenades. It kinda makes sense with the high mobility and high-risk style of play. 

:)

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 7:01 AM, Deadset said:

I dunno about that dudes, last season this exact build cleared GR102 solo and took the top spot on EU. 2 tiers ahead of Impale, so roughly 40% harder content.

Yup, checked 2016-2, not a single Impale in top ten.  8 of the presented build in those 10, but final #1 was a hybrid build.  My experience in Danetta version is that it vaults all over my Impale playing.

On 7/27/2017 at 9:14 AM, Guest rebel7254 said:

The new format on these guides is really bad. Why are we being forced now to go through multiple pages? It doesn't make sense. It's not 1998 anymore...pretty much everybody has broadband, so why not just load the full guide on a single page? If you want to build in hotlinks and shortcuts, that's fine, but just make them jump to the headings instead of completely different pages.

Please change it back to the old format.

I second that!

I rarely come here anymore, it's a pita jumping around, loses the bigger picture of the build.  The website might be making more from the 'better placement' offered to more ads, but when the readership drops off....

On 7/26/2017 at 7:53 AM, millerwjr said:

I am struggling to get DPS out of this build - the survivability is good, otherwise. I have a feeling it is due on my part to a combination of poor stat priorities on my current rolled gear, and lower paragon (547). Gonna keep rolling to see if I can get better deeps.

The Impale Build is an excellent fallback build in the mean time while collecting better pieces of this set - great balance of DPS and survivability.

Two things concern me about this build:

(1) Hatred remains completely unused in favor of grenade DPS. This concern is obvious to any DH who's ever used this resource to cause DPS - I have a deep-seated urge to throw some cluster arrows in the rotation or something.

(2) The DPS appears very sporadic and unpredictable. Again, this may be a result of poor rolls on my gear. The remote AOE caused by grenades takes a little getting used to (versus the linear path of Impale or Evasive Fire), but this is very doable. The concern here lies in the damage itself: It starts sloooww and then picks up steam. If you proc'd from a previous group of mobs, some of this dps carries over, but not all of it - this curved increase in dps is what takes a bit of getting used to.

What I love about the grenades however, is that the damage is applied to everything in the area. With the Impale Build, you must cut through from the edges to get to the innards of a massive group of mobs. Grenades bypass this need with their remote AOE.

I have about the same paragons, play the Danetta version, but I'm in the middle of the mobs with a maelstorm of 5 bounce grenades around.  Survivability isn't much of an issue.  From what I've read/seen, Danetta will carry you about into the 80s, good enough to solve those slot issues you and others mention.

22 minutes ago, SangFroidy said:

I second that!

I rarely come here anymore, it's a pita jumping around, loses the bigger picture of the build.  The website might be making more from the 'better placement' offered to more ads, but when the readership drops off....

This change wasn't made because of ads, but rather for search engine optimisation reasons. The change threw us to the top of the search results and is bringing way more people.
Similar change is being made to Hearthstone section, where some guides went from not being on page one to being the top result, dramatically increasing our viewership.
It is not only a significant boost short-term due to more ads, but also better in the long run, as it increases the amount of readers and therefore more returning users.

Should Google change its algorithms to make the previous layout have better results on google searches, we will revert the change. Not much I can say beyond "don't hate the player, hate the game".

How is this build anywhere near TOP at all?

You'd think a build marked with "TOP" next to its name and have higher ranking than Shadow Impale will out perform it significantly. And the result was rather disappointing, I ask IV to please take the "TOP" away from this build. This thing should be bottom tier. 

OK, after i got ancient Dawn, the situation is slightly better. The survival is very good, like, "I can stand on top of ground AoE and not die" good.

However, the damage output of this build, especially single target is mediocre at best. Even with 700 Paragon, Primal Ancient Depth Digger, CDR that allows me to maintain vengeance permanently, +15% Grenade roll on both belt and pants, +12 Disc cap on one of my weapon, and of course, legendary gems that are level 70+, I still struggle to DPS with this build beyond GR 70+, whereas my Shadow Impale build can easily walk through GR 80+ with little to no effort.

I even tried to switch Boar companion to Wolf, ditched Fan of Knives for +10% Crit trap, the damage output was still significantly worse than Shadow Impale. If anyone know how to make this build do more DPS, please, by all means, share with me. Thank you.

Edited by Tsumugi123

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.