FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
lethality

Views on Soul Reaper Build??

I know this is normal but I did a normal ToS run and on pretty much on all bosses this unholy dk used the soul reaper build and was smashing me on dps. I have the unholy shoulders and ring and it seems that the SR build looked much stronger. Either my rotation wasn't on point or I wasn't delaying enough to combine Apoc with DA + DT.  Sometimes I have to wait 15-20 seconds for Apoc to align with DA so I am unsure if I had to wait or use DA + DT. It seems to be a massive dps to delay but I am not sure.

I don't have any logs of some sort for this.

Edited by lethality

Well first realize just because something isn't the absolute highest sim build doesn't mean its not viable. You can do acceptable to very good dps with lets call them non sim builds. It's just you are not likely to make parses with them accept for some outliers here and there. So, you can do fine with a soul reaper build its just done correctly DA should always be higher. So what you witnessed came down to one of two things or both of them. 

1. He probably outgeared you by a decent margin

2. As noted you may have had rotational errors, proper DA usage does require lining things up correctly

or of course both at the same time. So at any given point there are plenty of viable builds its just there's always one that will be better if you switch to it, so i'm sure if said DK switched to DA he would crush the charts even further. At the same time just because something isn't the flavor of the patch rotation or absolute highest dps doesn't mean its not viable. One of my guilds for normal TOS requires a min 500k dps and that is quite easily obtainable using both soul reaper builds or defile builds. It's just you want get top server parses or into super leet mythic raid groups.

tldr; he probably outgeared you, you rotation might need work, its not crazy to see, its your game play what rotation you enjoy :)

edit: do you have at least the two set tier bonus? do realize part of the dominance of DA is due to the synergy with the TOS tier set bonus. 

I have 4 set and I know I need to improve my rotation. Side note : At what runic power do I need to surpass to use death coil? Atm I have been doing that at 80+ and should I delay DA + DT if apoc is 15-20 seconds off cooldown? I think proper DA usage is my drawback at the moment. I averagely get 8-12M DA's without hero. With hero 14-20M sometimes up to 28M if I am really lucky.  I will get some logs for you to analyze. I would do it myself but I have no experience in analyzing logs.

I did sim the SR build it is only 20k under the DA build so its not that far off.

Edited by lethality

I may get corrected here but with the 4 set do delay. Apocalypse summons armies of the dead which proc the 2 set bonus, thus DA will do that much more damage in her first few hits. Logs always help :)

and yeah many builds are close to  top ones but if it not the absolute top deeps a lot of players will scream that its garbage and can't be used. 

12 hours ago, demonardvark said:

I may get corrected here but with the 4 set do delay. Apocalypse summons armies of the dead which proc the 2 set bonus, thus DA will do that much more damage in her first few hits. Logs always help :)

From what I've understood the 2-set does not affect DA nor timmy. It only increase the "dk's" damage by 15% for x seconds. 

4 hours ago, Kikr said:

From what I've understood the 2-set does not affect DA nor timmy. It only increase the "dk's" damage by 15% for x seconds. 

yup you are correct, I had the correct mechanic but the wrong reasoning. The reason for the delay is with shoulder's DT buffs all active pets which includes the zombros from apocalypse. So with the shoulders you want to delay, without there is not as much reason to.