FrostyJack

914 Frost Mage doing low dps

5 posts in this topic

Hello!

My main is a Frost Mage (item level 914) and im doing pitiful dps. I dont know what im doing wrong: I've read all the guides, watched all the good mage's streams and i still being the worst frost mage. PLEASE, I really need your help to understand what im doing wrong!

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/gallywix/jackpenguin

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/23767476/13#difficulty=4&class=Mage&spec=Frost&metric=dps&boss=2032

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/23767476

So you're saying you've read all the guides, yet it seems like your execution and grasp of how to shatter spells is lacking a bit. I guess we can start with your better Goroth opener. 

One big problem at the start already is that you haven't cast anything before the pull. You're standing there doing nothing for a second before you hit time warp, then another second before you cast frostbolt. You want to cast Ebonbolt on the opener, then hit Icy Veins immediately while it's in the air and then Flurry and then Ice Lance. This guarantees that both your Ice Lance and Ebonbolt shatter for increased damage, as well as benefit from 20% damage increase from Chilled to the Core. In addition, you can use Time Warp here because both Time Warp and Icy Veins are off the global cooldown. Another thing I noticed is that you waited 18 seconds to use Frozen Orb. After your initial shatter combo, this should be one of the first abilities you use.

Also, you should never use Blizzard on a single target fight. Ever. Don't even bother with it. Otherwise the biggest issues I see are that you have a ton of dead time where you're not casting anything, and that you have a ton of Ice Lances that aren't critting.. Like you're just standing there doing nothing. You don't do dps without pushing buttons.

Sorry if it was a little harsh, but hopefully it helps :)

Edited by Tracing
  • Like 1

Mostly what Tracing said, though I would put a couple of Frostbolts between the initial combo and the Frozen Orb to fish for some crits for Chain Reaction stacks before getting a bunch of lances.

What he didn't touch on is how you have so many gaps in your rotation, like you are too busy thinking of what to do next rather than just doing it. I noted a bunch of almost 10 second long gaps, including one where you stopped casting, 8 seconds later double shimmered, then spent another empty 3 seconds before casting a Frostbolt. The only reason I can think of on a H Goroth fight for that to happen is you were massively out of position and an infernal burning was coming up. You should be watching what is going to happen in the near future, and use Instant cast globals/shimmer to move yourself where you're going to need to be rather than sacrifice a bunch of dps because you're suddenly without a pillar to hide behind and he's starting to cast.

Take some time and hit a training dummy, get your rotation down to muscle memory, it's really not a complex setup and you should be able to perform it without much thought if you're planning on raiding, most of your focus should be going into mechanics of the fight while maintaining high dps just off knowledge of your class.

• Like 1

Tracing and Tehril, thank you SO MUCH!!! Thats the kind of answers i was looking for! I know it takes much time to write so many tips like you've done, so i am very grateful for this help. I will try to improve my DPS with these tips, i learned many things with everyone's answers.

About H Goroth, you were right  Tehril. Besides the problem with my position, i usually have big problems with lag in the 1st fight, thats why sometimes i dont cast anything at all.

And Tracing, i dont think it was a ''little harsh''. Harsh is when people say i shouldnt play WoW because im crap, thats doesnt help neither me nor them. You, on the contrary, helped me a lot and said what i should do to improve my skills. :)

Again, THANKS VERY MUCH!! I appreciate the time everyone spent trying to help me :) !!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now