Starym

Naxxramas Trailer Creator Interview

Sign in to follow this  

1 post in this topic

3FOcpdh.jpg

We've recently seen the amazing Naxxramas trailer from Hurricane and were so impressed we thought we just had to talk to the man. It's a bit of a long interview, but you're not gonna want to miss it as he not only shares his thoughts and opinions, but also some production stills and before/after pics from in-game and the trailers. He's been at it for quite a while and his latest took him over 6 months to make, but it really shows, so let's take another look at his current masterpiece and then we can get into the interview itself.

Let's get started with basics - who are you and what is your background in video making?

My name is Radim Zeifart. I'm 24 years old and I live in Prague. I'm a motion designer in the advertisement business by trade, which means I create animated characters and make them talk about the great taste of this brand new orange juice or anything else in the world. Despite how it sounds, it's actually a really fun line of work.

A lot of the responses to your videos are basically "Blizzard, hire this man!" and you yourself have talked about Blizzard actually approaching you in the past. Is there anything else you can tell us about your situation with Blizzard?

Unfortunately not. That's why I'm happy I can still make my own trailers, which don't belong under any kind of supervision, and are mine own and mine alone.

So, just to be clear, you're not currently working at or with Blizzard?

No.

What made you get started with this old-school trailer making business?

I was just a kid when retail vanilla was played, but even then I was able to get a glimpse of what was going on. As the years passed I felt the original WoW, or even TBC, was THE content I wanted to be a part of. I managed to make that happen through private servers. Even though it wasn't 100% as it was back then I felt what many before me did.

Kx1rFzE.jpg   Ua1Z04w.jpg

A lot of your earlier videos were done for private servers but you stopped doing that, was the initial reason for doing these oldschool trailers from that or something else? And why did you stop making them for private servers?

Being young and not really well known made me think that private servers were a good platform to make my vision happen - they published my work on their sites and in return I received exposure and publicity. After I learned that the amount of retail fans is so many times bigger I decided to target my work at them as well. Furthermore, Blizzard Entertainment approached me so that was another reason to leave the private server scene and make content for everyone to enjoy.

The Naxxramas trailer really blew a lot of people away, and despite how great your previous work (especially the T5 video) was, this most recent video was far above it. How do you push yourself to put more and more into the videos to get them better and better?

Despite the scale of the project it's quite simple - me and my very good friend Nuke are people of hard logic (maybe because we've been taught a lot about machines and programming languages). It's only logical that there should be some measurable progress when it comes to my videos. Reason number two is just... I love this content.

ql4wOuV.jpg
This poster was supposed to announce the Naxx trailer,
but in the end he went with a teaser video instead.

What exactly is your process for making these? You obviously use in-game assets, but you then add in your own animations?

The one word you need to know is "datamining". I extract every single 3D model/texture and body rig animation from the game. Once that's done I assemble these pieces into a complete scene which is then heavily color graded and tweaked to look cinematic.

A lot of people have mentioned that you still use the older game-models in your videos, is that a stylistic choice or a mechanical one?

The old, original content consists of these (currently old) models. They may not be as visually appealing as the new ones, but... I feel I should use them anyway. Another reason (as you mentioned) is a mechanical one - using old models works just fine when it comes to body rigs/bone structure and the export process overall.

0Xv1y7W.jpg

One of the big things with these trailers is that they evoke a lot of memories for players of those eras and they hold a lot of emotion. How do you go about doing that?

I never experienced that, at least not when it was on retail servers. Most of my feelings originate from stories, pictures and videos one can find on the internet. I'd like to thank to french movie maker Jack, who's Ahn'Qiraj movie (which I've seen like 100 times) helped me understand the values on which I built my work on.

What was the very first video you made (as in with editing music etc) and do you think it still holds up today? Was it the DarkRuby one or was there something before it?

You nailed it. Don't know how you got that right, but this was the first project I strongly believed in and gave it all I had (at the time).

All of the voice lines from your trailers are from actual game characters themselves, how far back do you go to get them and how log and involved of a process is it? Do you just listen to thousands upon thousands of lines and then have the "right" one basically pick you or do you write something in advance and then look for the perfect fit?

I've had an extensive library of all WoW sounds and voice lines in the form of .ogg or .wav files for many years now (that's datamining all over again). Let's say you're working on a Tempest Keep trailer - you won't look into... I don't know...  Ragnaros voice lines. You can ignore ALMOST EVERY BOSS and go straight for the folders named "Al'ar" or "Void Reaver". And there you go. That's when you start to put all these quotes together in all sorts of ways and voila - you have your voice-over track.

Also, crucial question: is this you in the video?

Uhm. Yes. The first day (or one of the very first ones) I learned how to key out the background from the WoW Model Viewer footage.

How long does it usually take you for one of these videos, including the concepting stage and then the actual video work?

My limit was about a month or two. I managed to respect that until the Naxxramas Trailer. It wasn't possible to make something like that so quickly so I adjusted my daily life accordingly and stretched the process to six months. Plus I had to raise the bar once again so... take that T5 trailer!

Which video was the first where you really thought "Ok this is good, I can do this really well"?

Had to think about that for a moment, since I really wanna give you the right answer. This trailer was created because I just learned how to use After Effects (advanced post-production software). The program is insanely good when it comes to visual effects and that was the exact moment when I said to myself "okay let's do this". The trailer itself is stupid, colorful and over the top, but hey... that's After Effects in the hand of the beginner.

At this point I'm just going to geek-out and go through my favorite moments from the trailers themselves, feel free to comment on any behind the scenes details for them.

Starting with the Naxx trailer, there are so many little details like the animals fleeing, the actual massive size of the floating citadel compared to the heroes and more.

I believe in... how should I put this... Peripheral vision (I guess it's not exactly that but I'm gonna try to explain it). When you're looking at the video your eyes are locked in a certain place. That happens in every single shot. It's important to have a lot of detail in that particular place BUT it's also important to have something going on on the rest of the screen. That's when our little details come into play.
As for the size of the Naxxramas - the inside of the raid is HUGE. I'm talking the size of a couple of football fields. That's why I made it look much bigger than we're used to.

And then my favorite shot of the entire video - the heroes getting ported to the citadel above, shrouded in darkness as the villagers look on.

This shot was intended to make an impact on the viewers. The music in the background helped me to establish the feeling for this scene. It took a bit longer to create it since I had to put together this random village that's not even in the game. I'm really happy it made such an impact since it's difficult to nail a feeling/emotion just right. You never know if you made it until it's out there.

XxFX7ui.jpg

Then there's the the one that will ring true for all raiders ever - "No one goes home until our job here is done" with the ghosts at the graveyard.

I found this voice line during the first days of production (that's January 2017). It made the final cut four months after that. I've waited four months till that specific moment of the trailer set foot into the production process so I could use it. The wait was worth it. That part is funny and represents the countless amount of wipes which is a "feature" that's well associated with this raid instance.

drNKm76.jpg

And from the BC video, the warp-in effect for Tempest Keep and then at the very end, the explosion in BT, which we actually never get to see in the game itself. Amazing stuff.

Warp-in of TK: In my eyes it's this super-modern ship (sorry, I'm not familiar with the lore) so it it felt appropriate to make it do something cool. And for the BT explosion, there is this breach in the outer wall of the Black Temple's facade. I figured I can build upon that fact. Back then there was this idea to make some crazy gnome rig tons of explosives to make it blow up but I had to finish the trailer very quickly so... no gnomes, just this that simple shot.

You're still working on these trailers, with your next project being Black Temple, what motivates you to continue, since it takes you so long to get these done?

I'm severely demotivated because the Naxx trailer was a bit too much even for me, but I'm extremely overmotivated (if that's an expression) because of the WoW community. Their support and appreciation for the Naxx trailer showed me that the effort is worth it.

Do you have a dream project? Something that's perhaps a little too big for you to handle right now but that you'd just love to do?

Believe it or not - I'm actually doing that right now. With steady job in the field of motion design I can spend my spare time working on machinima videos while being able to cover all my expenses. I'm living the life I wanted since I was a kid and I'm not planning to waste such an opportunity.

But if I had to pick one thing I'd really like to do it's a series of videos (up to 1 minute) which would showcase what each class represents.... For example a Warrior's showcase would demonstrate some of his abilities, gear and the mighty weapons he uses - all of that using very advanced 3D machinima, to make it look epic.

FOR THE HORDE!

A big thanks to Hurricane for the interview. You should also check out more of his videos on his youtube channel and we have a few production process before and after sliding images you should check out here from the Naxx video:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

Summary of the latest Q/A with Game Director Ion Hazzikostas about Patch 7.3.5 and beyond.
      Watch Now
      No questions about WoW Classic will be answered in this Q/A. In BfA, the Azerite system adds depth and customization that was used for Tier sets. For Battle for Azeroth, a lot of art variety will be added to the armor. There will be 1 appearance per armor type though, but more variety across zones. For transmog collectors it means more customization. There will be unique trinkets from raids. Azerite armor from raids will provide properties that can be found only in raids. Assembling people and maintaining schedule needs to feel worthwhile and properly rewarding. Patch 7.3.5 TL;DR: We'll see zone scaling, Legion epilogue quest content, Ulduar Timewalking and a preview of the new Silithus battleground (Seething Shore). In BfA, the focus shifts from racial identity to the faction conflict. Unlocking Allied races is more story-driven. Reputation barriers will be lifted. Doing the campaign should suffice. Heritage armor is restricted to races. More Allied races will be added in the future, but they want to add those that make sense story-wise first. Hunched races - Orc is the big one here. From the early beginning, we saw Thrall / Saurfang that had proper posture and it was a repeated request and they totally understand it. Darskpear Trolls will remain hunched - it's a part of the troll silhouette. Zandalari Trolls are upright though. Prestige system in BfA? They're looking at how the feeling of progression has been in Legion and are re-evaluating a lot of stuff. They want to make sure Prestige rewards are still available. Artifact skins in BfA  will be spec-restricted. Far fewer Legendary items will be seen in BfA, Blizzard will make them where it makes sense. As of now, they have no specific Legendaries in mind. No plans to change the Mythic raid size at the moment. The raid structure remained the same in Warlords, Legion and the trend will continue in BfA. They want to explore an option to enable Mythic cross-server raiding sooner. The team feels that Tomb of Sargeras was too difficult on Mythic difficulty. A few months after Antorus opens, there will be nerfs to Aggramar and Argus the Unmaker on Mythic. Is Aman'Thul's Vision personal loot? There's value in preserving discovery. We'll see in two weeks. When Mythic Antorus opens (Dec 5), you'll be able to get Mythic rewards up to +15. Order Hall Cache rewards will be retroactive.  Will Titanforging still allow you to get Mythic quality gear in Normal raids? Yes. It's about the moment of surprise. While you can still get a lucky drop, the Mythic raider is in all cases better geared than that lucky player. Odds of Titanforging will be looked into. They think it's happening too often. The idea of upward loot scaling is being carried forward. The hard cap on Titanforging would limit progression. World PvP will be revitalized in BfA. Creating a space where players who are looking for PvP can more reliably run across each other is the priority right here. Some players don't want to server transfer, yet they are stuck on servers with faction imbalance. The current thinking is to preserve the identity of RP-PvP communities. Legion is the expansion that brought the biggest class changes to World of Warcraft. It's jarring to come back only to see your class vastly reworked. Demonology will see a significant rework and Survival Hunter (the execution of the fantasy will be looked into). In terms of class changes, a good analogy would be Wrath of the Lich King to Cataclysm transition, minus removing 20 points of talents and adding 3 abilities to every class. Class buffs provide utility and they are returning in BfA. Some Artifact traits will be made baseline or baked into talents. For example Stormkeeper is a new Elemental Shaman talent available in BfA. Removing drawbacks from abilities is an area they are the most hesitant to entrench. What's happening with Hati for BM? It won't be carried forward. It's tied to Titanstrike.  It's cool to have multiple pets up as BM. and it's definitely something they could expand upon in the future. Improving animations is a long-term effort. New Warlock animations should be ready for the BfA pre-patch. Relics diluted the excitement of weapon rewards. The plan is to go back to regular weapon drops. The Underlight Angler will be carried forward, unlike other Artifacts. 50 characters per account limit will probably not be increased, but they're listening to community feedback.
    • By Frostjin
      <Currently Online> US - Sargeras - Alliance and US - Illidan - Horde - Is recruiting raiders for all difficulties, and social/casual players of all levels!
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      About Us:
      <Currently Online> Founded 2014 by a core group that has been playing World of Warcraft since Vanilla. Currently Online has since evolved to far more than a guild; we are a full scale gaming community with our roots in World of Warcraft. 
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      What We Offer: 
      The largest and most active World of Warcraft community in the world, with over 9,000 members across 9 guilds (6 Alliance, 3 Horde), we offer a huge slate of activities to our players, both in WoW and out...
      Raiding: 
      7/7 M EN, 2/3 M ToV, 7/10 M NH, and 6/9 M ToS Progression 12 Raid Teams - ranging from Casual to Mythic Progression See the teams and their needs on our website: http://currentlyonline.gg/raiding
      PvP:
      4 RBG Teams Countless members always looking for BGs and arenas! Learn more about our PvP offerings on our website: http://currentlyonline.gg/rbgs
      For Socials:
      Always active guild chat - 6 guilds linked with the add-on Greenwall on Alliance, and 3 on Horde. In-game activities and competitions: XMog Contests, PvP Events, Mythic+ Spams, Achievement Runs, Alt Raids, Yolo BGs, and more! Bi-Weekly In-Game Lottery! New Member Orientations! Come make some new friends! Room for advancement as an officer. Out of WoW:
      Private Gaming Servers such as Minecraft & 7DaysToDie Destiny 2 Clan Steam Group FFXIV Company Rust Clan Always active Discord w/ thousands of users Drinking Nights Monthly Giveaways _______________________________________________________________________________________________
      To Join:
      If you find yourself on Sargeras Alliance or Illidan Horde, simply "/who Currently Online" and ask for an invite! If you're not on one of our realms yet, let us know on our website and we'll keep your seat warm!
      http://currentlyonline.gg/join 
      Contact Us: 
      You can contact us by Btag, or email as listed below.
      Add one of the following officers to your Btag:
      Coldcrow#1329
      Joberty#7753
      OR
      Email us at:
      Coldcrow@currentlyonline.gg
      Swampage@currentlyonline.gg
      We hope to see everyone in game!

• By Stan

Highmountain Taurens are one of the three Allied races available to the Horde in Battle for Azeroth. In this preview, we're looking at the requirements to create a Highmountain Tauren, class / customization options and racials.
      Descended from Huln, brave hero of the War of the Ancients, the Highmountain tauren honor the spirits of earth, river, and sky. Though the Legion invaded their lands and sowed seeds of distrust between them, the tribes of Highmountain stand united once more. At long last they are ready to venture beyond their sacred mountain and stand beside their kin from Kalimdor, lending their nobility and strength to the mighty Horde.
      Available Classes
      Druid, Hunter, Monk, Shaman, Warrior Requirements
      In Danny's interview with Muffinus, we learned that you need to complete Ain't No Mountain High Enough and have some reputation standing with the Highmountain Tribe in order to gain access to a short quest chain to unlock the Allied race. Racials (Source)
      Bull Rush (Instant, 2 min cooldown)
      Charges forward for 1 sec, knocking enemies down for 1.5 sec. Mountaineer (Passive)
      Increases your Versatility by 1%. Pride of Ironhorn (Passive)
      Mining skill increased by 15 and allows you to mine faster. Rugged Tenacity
      Reduces damage taken by X. Waste Not, Want Not (Passive)
      You have a chance to loot additional meat and fish. Male Highmountain Tauren
      Skin Options

Horn Style

Facial Hair

Female Highmountain Tauren
      Skin Options

Horn Style

Hair Style

All images were taken using WoW Model Viewer.
    • By Starym

The Titan Pantheon themed trinkets coming with Antotus are definitely the most interesting piece of itemization that's come around in a while and they were pretty mysterious for a time when they were first datamined, but we've since found out exactly how they work and what's required for those secondary pocs to trigger. However, the exact numbers behind those procs, how many players would actually have to have them equipped to be optimal, what amount of DPS do the add, whether the legendary version was better than the regular ones and many more questions like that remained unanswered - until now.
      Ask Mr. Robot has put together this very useful infographic detailing pretty much any questions you might have about the upcoming trinkets, other than perhaps "when will one of these drop for me?"
      So, check out all the info you could possibly need and, in case you need a refresher, here are the actual trinkets themselves as well:
      Aggramar's Conviction; Aman'Thul's Vision; Eonar's Compassion; Golganneth's Vitality; Khaz'goroth's Courage; Norgannon's Prowess

You should also check out the full blog post for additional info and details.
      Source:
      https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/7db6m0/pantheon_trinket_infographic/
    • By Stan

In Battle for Azeroth, we're getting 6 new allied races that start at level 20. Alliance has access to Dark Iron Dwarves, Void Elves and the Lightforged Draenei, while the Horde can play as Nightborne, Highmountain Taurens and Zandalari Trolls!
      Here's a rundown of new sub-races available to both factions. In the screenshots, the characters are wearing what Blizzard calls Heritage Armor. It's a reward to show off your accomplishments and it is earned from leveling your Alied Hero character from 20 to 110. If you're buying a race change, you won't get it. In the What's Next Panel, we learned that it ignores armor types, so it seems all classes will be able to transmog the set once it's unlocked. Six allied races will be initially available and more will be added later on in the expansion. You can find out more information on the official website.
      Alliance
      Void Elves (Hunter, Mage, Monk, Priest, Rogue, Warlock, Warrior) Lightforged Draenei (Hunter, Mage, Paladin, Priest, Warrior) Dark Iron Dwarves
      Horde
      Nightborne (Hunter, Mage, Monk, Priest, Rogue, Warlock, Warrior) Highmountain Taurens (Druid, Hunter, Monk, Shaman, Warrior) Zandalari Trolls
      Highmountain Tauren Racials (Passive)
      Bull Rush (Instant, 2 min cooldown)
      Charges forward for 1 sec, knocking enemies down for 1.5 sec. Mountaineer (Passive)
      Increases your Versatility by 1%. Pride of Ironhorn (Passive)
      Mining skill increased by 15 and allows you to mine faster. Rugged Tenacity
      Reduces damage taken by X. Waste Not, Want Not (Passive)
      You have a chance to loot additional meat and fish. (Source)
      Lightforged Draenei Racials
      Demonbane (Passive)
      Experience gains from killing Demons increased by 20%. Final Verdict (Passive)
      When you die the Light avenges you dealing X Holy Damage to enemies within 8 yards and healing allies for X. Forge of Light (Passive)
      Summon a Forge of Light, enabling Blacksmithing. Blacksmithing skill increased by 10.
      Light's Judgment (Instant, 2.5 min cooldown, 40 yd range)
      Call down a strike of Holy energy, dealing X Holy damage to enemies within 5 yards after 3 sec. The racial looks very similar to the Vindicaar Core Matrix Power on Argus > Light's Judgment. (Source @Kalrell's tweet // Sloot's stream)
      Placeholder for tweet 926579843571093504 (Source // Official Website)